Can't Request Programs: "getFromDevice failed for item:"

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr Can't Request Programs: "getFromDevice failed for item:"

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Music Maven
    Participant
      • Topics: 2
      • Replies: 2
      • Total: 4

Hi All,

I am trying to use both the Matrix-1000 and monstrumWaveXT panels to request and then edit patches from those synths. While these Ctrlr panels will allow me to edit parameters on the respective synth, I cannot get Ctrlr to actually request a patch (or edit buffer, bank, etc.) from the device.

Each time I select the “Request Current Program” option from the Ctrlr Program menu, I get the follow error message:

getfromDevice failed for item

When I select the “Request Edit Buffer” option I receive the following error message:

Request Data is not SysEx.

I know that the MIDI outs from the Matrix and Microwave XT are connected and working correctly because I am able to use SoundDiver to request patches from each synth. Incidentally, I definitely have the correct MIDI out selected in the Ctrlr MIDI menu.

Am I missing something or doing something wrong? Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

lfo2vco
      Participant
        • Topics: 26
        • Replies: 162
        • Total: 188
        • ★★

Hello Music Maven, welcome to the forum and you are not doing anything wrong.

Ctrlr is an application in progress, it is constantly being updated and enhanced and as such some features have changed over the years. As far as I understand none of the menu items under ‘Request from device’ in the ‘Programs’ menu are implemented. The forum Moderator Atom is the brains behind Ctrlr.

The Microwave XT panel is a demo with limited functions, it was created by a member called Msepsis. He sells the complete panels on his website: http://www.monstrummedia.com Considering the amount of work involved in creating such a complex panel they are very reasonably priced.

The Matrix panel was downloaded from the depreciated panels area. This means they it is out of date regarding running in the latest version of Ctrlr. To get the panel in a working state you will need to learn some Ctrlr basics and no doubt some Lua scripting. The forum here is helpful and engaging, but there will be an upward learning curve involved.

My first post was made on May 31, 2013 at 10:18 pm, I am still here, working at updating the panel that took my fancy. If you wish to take a look at my questions to the forum you will see answers that will provide you with some of the information you will require to get your Matrix panel updated.

Sorry the answer is not an easy or quick fix.

Here is some noise I organised into an acceptable format:
        https://soundcloud.com/lfo2vco/a-dark-crystal

Music Maven
        Participant
          • Topics: 2
          • Replies: 2
          • Total: 4

Hello Music Maven, welcome to the forum

Hi lfo2vco,

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum! And thanks for the information regarding the unimplemented options under the Program menu. That saved me a lot of head scratching.

Msepsis’s Microwave XT panel is pretty sweet. I purchased it from his website last week. Again, I just wish I could pull in some of my existing patches from the synth to use as starting points for new patches. I guess I will just need to wait patiently for these features to be implemented. 🙂

Cheers,
          MM

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
        There is currently 0 users and 112 guests online
        No users are currently active
        Forum Statistics
        Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
        Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
        Ctrlr