CC and/or NRPN?

Home Forums General General MIDI discussion CC and/or NRPN?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    goodweather
    Participant
      • Topics: 45
      • Replies: 550
      • Total: 595
      • ★★★

On some synths (like the Sub37) there are more commands than available CCs. Those are then using NRPN messages. All commands using CCs can also be using NRPN messages.
      NRPN messages are with figures up to 16383 (speaking about typical rotary buttons).
      CC messages can be up to 127 or up to 16383.
      The synth can send either CC or NRPN. So, in order to get feedback on all parameters, I’m setting this as NRPN.
      In summary: send to synth can be CC and/or NRPN while receive from synth is NRPN.

My question: what is the best setup for the modulators in Ctrlr? Shall I use a mix of CC and NRPN or only NRPN?
      I’m leaning towards NRPN only as it would allow a similar processing of all messages.

Thx!

Hecticcc
      Participant
        • Topics: 25
        • Replies: 160
        • Total: 185
        • ★★

Stick to CC for the parameters that are available that way, nrpn is not realtime so you will get ‘erratic’ behaviour like parameters jumping to a value instead of gradually moving towards the desired value. Or in the worst case scenario you flood the buffer of the device’s midi interface and it locks up or chokes until it catches up.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • The forum ‘General MIDI discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.
      There is currently 0 users and 67 guests online
      No users are currently active
      Forum Statistics
      Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
      Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
      Ctrlr