Change modulator when receiving Midi CC

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr Change modulator when receiving Midi CC

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    smunier
    Participant
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 2
      • Total: 3

Hi all,

I am creating a panel for my Nord Electro 4D. For now I just created the modulators for the drawbars and when I change the value of modulators within Ctrlr, the sound in the Nord Electro does change.

Reciprocally, I would like the modulators to react from midi CC messages. In the midi monitor window, I can see CC messages when changing drawbars on the keyboard, but the modulators do not change.

Can anyone explain me how to do that?

Thanks in advance

Possemo
      Participant
        • Topics: 14
        • Replies: 638
        • Total: 652
        • ★★★

I copy a message I posted on this thread:http://ctrlr.org/forums/topic/map-cc-to-sysex-using-ctrlr/

Ctrlr should check incoming midi automatically. For this there is a checkbox “modulator does not react to value changes”. If it is unchecked the modulator should react to incoming midi messages that match the one of the modulator. Unfortunately this feature does not work on CC’s. I believe it somewhat works on sysex messages.

So – the only way is to make a Lua script as dnaldoog suggested. I would have done the script slightly different but dnaldoog’s one should work fine.

If you need help making the Lua script post your panel here and we may be able to help you getting started.

smunier
        Participant

Thanks a lot, this really helped me!
          I now can handle midi CC in/out communications between my keyboard and Ctrlr.
          Just one last question (but this is probably not the right place): is there any doc on the functions and their syntax available in Ctrlr?

dnaldoog
          Participant
            • Topics: 4
            • Replies: 480
            • Total: 484
            • ★★

Hi smunier,

The best documentation is to look at the source code for other panels or a pdf manual written by Goodweather.

After that:

https://github.com/RomanKubiak/ctrlr – so for example the JUCE Graphics class in ctrlr/Source/Lua/JuceClasses/LGraphics.cpp will list all available methods. You can then chose one beginning with .def(…) which is a member function to be used in lua. All easier said than done 😉

Also https://www.lua.org/ for lua programming.

And within Ctrlr Editor itself you can find a list of all available methods via:

Panel ⇒ Modulator list ⇒ View ⇒ Visible columns

Regards,

dnaldoog
            Participant
              • Topics: 4
              • Replies: 480
              • Total: 484
              • ★★

Hi smunier,

I posted this a while back, but I think it went AWOL for some reason.

I think the best way to become familiar with Ctrlr is to look at the source code for other panels or a pdf manual written by Goodweather.

After that:

https://github.com/RomanKubiak/ctrlr — so for example the JUCE Graphics class in ctrlr/Source/Lua/JuceClasses/LGraphics.cpp will list all available methods. You can then choose one beginning with .def(…) which is a member function to be used in lua.

Also https://www.lua.org/ for lua programming.

And within Ctrlr Editor itself you can find a list of all available methods via:

Panel ⇒ Modulator list ⇒ View ⇒ Visible columns

Hope this helps,

smunier
              Participant

Hi dnaldoog,

Thanks for your comment. I succeeded in programming my interface for my Nord Electro.
                Yet, I still have a small problem when sending a program midi dump. Most of the controller messages are well received and the modulators in the interface are changed accordingly. But some are not. If I send again a midi dump, the missing messages are received. Sometimes, I have to send three or four times for all the modulators take the values of the synth program. It seems that the controller messages are sent too quickly. Is that possible?

Possemo
                Participant
                  • Topics: 14
                  • Replies: 638
                  • Total: 652
                  • ★★★

To my experience Ctrlr has no problem receiving large amounts of data. In general assigning values to modulators is very quick, but that may depend on the way the script is coded.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                There is currently 0 users and 88 guests online
                No users are currently active
                Forum Statistics
                Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                Ctrlr