Creating images using LUA

Home Forums General Programming Creating images using LUA

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Puppeteer
    Participant
      • Topics: 16
      • Replies: 185
      • Total: 201
      • ★★

I’m wondering if anyone has experience with building a bitmapped image using LUA.

To explain the application, Kurzweil K series synths have a graphics dump command.
      It returns a pixel value from the graphics layer for every pixel on the screen. They are returned as each pixel being the last 6 pixels of each byte. It’s essentially a 1 bit (black/white) bitmap.

64 rows of 240 columns of pixels.

I want to display the screen in Ctrlr with the parameters over the top. A lot of screens on the K2600 rely on the graphics to make sense of them, and the rest, just coz they look good.

I can write all the values as hex or a big binary string, and it seems like there are a few graphics options though the rending demo no longer works on windows (Paint throws an error).

Essentially I’m looking at building a front panel replica as a short term solution rather than building a full blown editor (which requires reverse engineering massive sysex dumps).

Basically I want to know how to take the pixel states and create an image in Ctrlr that I can update on demand.

Thanks in advance everyone.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Puppeteer.

The Puppeteer
      http://godlike.com.au

dnaldoog
      Participant
        • Topics: 4
        • Replies: 480
        • Total: 484
        • ★★

Hi Puppeteer

Can you explain this in more detail? Give an example of the sysex?

They are returned as each pixel being the last 6 pixels of each byte. It’s essentially a 1 bit (black/white) bitmap.

I think the idea is to take a 64 x 240 multidimensional array and map each 1 to a black pixel and each 0 to a white pixel? Is that about right.

You would use a uiComponent and place a 1 x 1 black png or g:fillRect() ?? in each ‘on’ state – See attached panel for the basic idea.

pixmap.png

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by dnaldoog.
        • This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by dnaldoog. Reason: added download
        • This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by dnaldoog.
        Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Tedjuh
        Participant
          • Topics: 9
          • Replies: 97
          • Total: 106
          • ★★

Is fillRectList supported by Ctrlr? Because Juce says:

FillRectList()
          If you have a lot of rectangles to draw, it may be more efficient to create a RectangleList and use this method than to call fillRect() multiple times.

In my opinion, it’s easier to translate to a multidimensional array too.

Just wondering, because I think that Ctrlr doesn’t get happy when you throw 15.360 png’s at it. |I know it can handle that many rectangles though (cough, arpeggiator, cough).

dnaldoog
          Participant
            • Topics: 4
            • Replies: 480
            • Total: 484
            • ★★

Hi Tedjuh,

I don’t think RectangleList is supported.

This attached panel would probably give the OP a starting point.

Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
            Tedjuh
            Participant
              • Topics: 9
              • Replies: 97
              • Total: 106
              • ★★

Could you post two dumps? One for the “GETGRAPHICS” or 18h command and one for the “SCREENREPLY” or 19h command? And a picture of the screen at the time the command is done?

The text and parameter names and values won’t be a big problem because those are just ascii representation. I think the graphics are for the “faders” and other things that need to be drawn.

It would help to find a solution to your problem.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • The forum ‘Programming’ is closed to new topics and replies.
            There is currently 0 users and 47 guests online
            No users are currently active
            Forum Statistics
            Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
            Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
            Ctrlr