Ctrlr and Windows 10 2004

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr Ctrlr and Windows 10 2004

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    goodweather
    Participant
      • Topics: 45
      • Replies: 550
      • Total: 595
      • ★★★

Anyone using Ctrlr 5.3.201 in Windows 10 2004?
      I have a friend who has problems with the VST versions. He had to re-install his PC and since then, the VST version (64 bits) is not working anymore. He tried FL Studio and Studio One 5.
      Restricted instance exported panels in 64 bits VST are also not working (probably for the same unknown reason).

I’m in Windows 1à 1903 and everything is fine. It was also fine for my friend before he did the re-installation of his PC.

Thx for feedback!

Tedjuh
      Participant
        • Topics: 9
        • Replies: 97
        • Total: 106
        • ★★

It does show up when you scan for plugins in studio one but doesn’t show when you drag it onto a track?

Does stand alone work? Anything in task manager? All visual c++ libraries installed or other libraries that ctrlr might depend on?

Tried the dedicated vst3 folder?

Just a few wild shots..

goodweather
        Participant
          • ★★★

Thx for replying!

Standalone is working fine.
          Happening when doing a drag and drop of the plugin to a new track.
          Other plugins are working fine.
          Here is the message

Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
          proton
          Participant
            • Topics: 19
            • Replies: 94
            • Total: 113
            • ★★

W10 1909 here and so far all runs OK!
            More and more users with newer OSes have problems with the VST versions of Ctrlr.
            On Catalina it is impossible to use Ctrlr at all. Some newer versions of Cubase and Nuendo are blacklisting the plugin and not allow to open, some like Vienna Ensemble Pro can’t even find the .dll anymore.
            Let’s face it – Ctrlr is getting old and need an overhaul but this will not happen too soon considering the trends from last few years and Atoms lack of interest in supporting it. This will be a very sad day but it will eventually come. Sorry for the pessimism but in 2020 we’ve seen worse, so I will not be shocked if one day Ctrlr will not open at all or the builds will be useless.
            Just reading the room.
            I hope Roman will find some time to give Ctrlr a bit more love. Roman – are you listening? 🙂
            Again, sorry for not helping too much but I had to vent on that occasion.
            Cheers!

Possemo
            Participant
              • Topics: 14
              • Replies: 638
              • Total: 652
              • ★★★

Working here on Win10 2004 and Reaper v6.13.

Tedjuh
              Participant
                • ★★

Still on version 1909 here. So I won’t be of much help here. Thing is that I found out the hard way that I had to install older c++ redistributables to get some vst’s from well-known manufacturers to work. Had to tinker in the registry. Had to put vst dll’s in certain windows folders before studio one or fruity loops would even recognize them, and so on. And sometimes there’s no way to tell where the problem lies. Is it windows, the vst.. missing packages?

To Proton. Yes, the day may come that ctrlr stops working. Would be a shame indeed. But there will always be vm’s. Or that might be the day to take the plunge and do the same thing in juce itself. Or Hise.

samoht
                Participant
                  • Topics: 1
                  • Replies: 54
                  • Total: 55

Yes, the day may come that ctrlr stops working. Would be a shame indeed. But there will always be vm’s. Or that might be the day to take the plunge and do the same thing in juce itself. Or Hise.

Even worse, the day will come that we ourself will stop working in this world, but that’s not quite the point.

Ctrlr is open source software and it is for free. You cannot blame Atom for a lack of love for this project: he is the only one who is contributing to its development, and this not only in the past: the last public build is dated may 2020.
                  I suppose most of us do not have the skills to contribute, but maybe some of us lack also the idealism to give for free some of their skills, of their time, of their heart for the sake of all men, for those without skills, without money, for the good men and for those who have a long way to go to become the best person they can be.

Possemo
                  Participant
                    • Topics: 14
                    • Replies: 638
                    • Total: 652
                    • ★★★

@samoth: well said. I would add here, that those who take money for ther panels (which is allowed by Roman and probably somewhat legal) should think about what Ctrlr in fact is: It is an open-source project which, until now, has never gone beyond beta-state. There are just “nightly builds” which to my understanding are alpha-releases, not even beta-releases. The most stable build v5.3.201 could probably be seen as a beta-release. So, if you are selling a panel you are selling an unfinished piece of software. Even worse, you have no full control over it and you cannot tackle problems reported by customers which are related to Ctrlr itself (such as e.g. not being compatible with new OS versions).

dasfaker
                    Keymaster
                      • Topics: 80
                      • Replies: 793
                      • Total: 873
                      • ★★★

And yet there’s people selling panels with “updates free for live”

goodweather
                      Participant
                        • ★★★

Working here on Win10 2004 and Reaper v6.13.

Good to know!
                        So, I don’t think it is a Ctrlr vs Windows 10 2004 issue but something else…
                        Did you do anything special or just left your 5.3.201 version there between your Windows upgrades?

goodweather
                        Participant
                          • ★★★

I took a lot of time to dig into Ctrlr; I made a free panel for the Pro 2 which includes not only an editor but a full librarian, I wrote a step by step guide that helped newcomers understand what Ctrlr is (in fact I continued extending it with tons of stuff, Lua programming…), I’m also contributing to the forum (not like others also selling panels)…
                          I have been asked by people to develop some panels for synths I don’t have and they said it was normal that I ask for a little contribution. As you all know, making nice panels is not done in 1hr but rather 100-150 hours even if you can re-use some of the logic between the panels.
                          I also think that it is normal to provide updates with new features for free.
                          So, I feel quite OK in my shoes 😉

That being said, I proposed Atom to support with simple tasks like writing explanations on the meaning of the properties, etc… (we have links but no popups with explanations). Didn’t get a positive answer on that but I’m still OK to do that.

About Ctrlr as such, I’m OK to start studying the source code, to learn it, correct bugs… but only if starting from 5.3.201. I would also need explanations on how to build and assemble the whole package (didn’t find explanations on that; anyone?). I don’t know C++ or C# (I know well some C) but I have learned several languages (Lua being the last one) and it is no problem on that side thus.
                          Just some basic info and I can support from there at my pace (this is still a hobby for me).

Quite many gurus in this thread 🙂 Love you guys!

goodweather
                          Participant
                            • ★★★

Still on version 1909 here. So I won’t be of much help here. Thing is that I found out the hard way that I had to install older c++ redistributables to get some vst’s from well-known manufacturers to work. Had to tinker in the registry. Had to put vst dll’s in certain windows folders before studio one or fruity loops would even recognize them, and so on. And sometimes there’s no way to tell where the problem lies. Is it windows, the vst.. missing packages?

My friend has FL.
                            He got the issue when completely re-installing his PC. Thus Win 10 2004, FL Studio, and Ctrlr.
                            I just asked him and he was in 2004 before the re-install.
                            So, the issue he is getting is when re-installing Ctrlr on Win 10 2004, and FL.

Any idea on which C++ libraries would be missing or other stuff needed?
                            Would really help 🙂

goodweather
                            Participant
                              • ★★★

OK. Lot’s of posts…
                              My friend found the issue (some authorization in Program Files).
                              He has been putting the panels in the standard Program Files / VstPlugins folder and this seems to have created some issues (probably some access issues).
                              Putting all panels VST somewhere else solved the issue.

Good to know for all of us!

About supporting Ctrlr dev, my proposal is still valid 😉

Thx to all!

Tedjuh
                              Participant
                                • ★★

Ah.. the folder issue.. had the problem as well as told in an earlier post. Glad you solved it.

The other discussion:
                                I have huge respect for the work that atom did/ does, especially given the fact it’s open source and free for all to use. I would love to contribute but I don’t have much coding experience. And I got the feeling atom is holding ctrlr close to himself. Which is his right to do so. Doesn’t take away the fact that there are a lot of juce classes I want to see added to ctrlr or give it a more user-friendly update or something. But again, that’s up to atom.

Ctrlr has quite a steep learning curve. Been working for over a year on my first panel. No background in lua, sysex, coding or whatsoever. Been on the forum for weeks, been looking at other panels for months. But it is doable. When I get my arpeggiator working I’m going to release the first beta panel.

goodweather
                                Participant
                                  • ★★★

I have exactly the same thoughts and feeling as you, Tedjuh.
                                  That’s why I didn’t insist when I didn’t get further push from Atom to help him.
                                  I’m also accepting Ctrlr as is and that’s why I stick to 5.3.201.

Now, I’m very happy to help other people and as I said I continue expanding the Step by Step guide when I’m in the mood.

Give you some challenge then start working on it and by searching on the Ctrlr forum, in Juce classes and other general doc you will always learn something and progress.
                                  Now I finished a panel for the Prologue (quite big work) on request of someone else and I’m giving me some fun and challenge by coding a wave editor. Challenging and fun 🙂

About the arp, if you need a blinking LED according to tempo, I just did that for another synth and to be honest, it is very cool. So, just let me know.

dasfaker
                                  Keymaster
                                    • Topics: 80
                                    • Replies: 793
                                    • Total: 873
                                    • ★★★

When I get my arpeggiator working I’m going to release the first beta panel.

I’m afraid you could get into troubles, specially if you want to sync LUA events with the host.

goodweather
                                    Participant
                                      • ★★★

When I get my arpeggiator working I’m going to release the first beta panel.

I’m afraid you could get into troubles, specially if you want to sync LUA events with the host.

And I can only agree with dasfaker.
                                      Don’t think Ctrlr is made for syncing from what I read on the forum.
                                      My blinking LED according to tempo for example is just for the look of a panel but the underlying tempo mod is well sending a correct CC to change tempo on the synth.
                                      You can code an arp but only to send notes to a synth and hear the sound but not to use it as part of a song using several synths. I was planning to do the same for a simple sequencer but only with the goal to play some notes, absolutely not for accuracy and sync. For that we have DAWs and sequencers 😉

Tedjuh
                                      Participant
                                        • ★★

I’m going to type a longer post in a new thread later on about the arpeggiator. But there is no syncing or blinking LED going on. The Roland SH-201 has its own built-in programmable arpeggiator. Just not programmable on the synth itself. But afaik the old Sound Designer Software from Roland, which didn’t work for me on windows 7 or 10, had a programmable arpeggiator and according to the sysex implementation it is possible to program it yourself. So, bring in CTRLR.

Lots of reading, trial and error, playing DasFaker’s Pong Panel and a lot of help from DnalDoog later, there’s now a partial working arpeggiator. I can build the sysex and the synth accepts it but its the graphics side that’s holding me back. You’ll hear from me later.

goodweather
                                        Participant
                                          • ★★★

OK. I’ll support if I can!
                                          Thx!

samoht
                                          Participant
                                            • Topics: 1
                                            • Replies: 54
                                            • Total: 55

I would add here, that those who take money for ther panels (which is allowed by Roman and probably somewhat legal) should think about what Ctrlr in fact is (…)

In my opinion, it is important to be aware of all licenses, certainly not to forget the Juce license:

The core JUCE modules (juce_audio_basics, juce_audio_devices, juce_blocks_basics, juce_core and juce_events) are permissively licensed under the terms of the ISC license. Other modules are covered by a GPL/Commercial license.

https://juce.com/juce-6-licence

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
                                          • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                                          There is currently 0 users and 27 guests online
                                          No users are currently active
                                          Forum Statistics
                                          Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                                          Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                                          Ctrlr