Ctrlr and Windows 10 2004

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr Ctrlr and Windows 10 2004

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    samoht
    Participant
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 54
      • Total: 55

Lua licence:

Lua is free software distributed under the terms of the MIT license reproduced here. Lua may be used for any purpose, including commercial purposes, at absolutely no cost. No paperwork, no royalties, no GNU-like “copyleft” restrictions, either. Just download it and use it.

The spirit of the Lua license is that you are free to use Lua for any purpose at no cost without having to ask us. The only requirement is that if you do use Lua, then you should give us credit by including the copyright notice somewhere in your product or its documentation. A nice, but optional, way to give us further credit is to include a Lua logo and a link to our site in a web page for your product.

https://www.lua.org/license.html

samoht
      Participant

I’m not sure, but maybe Steinberg vst sdk plugin is also part of Ctrlr. Licence:

https://sdk.steinberg.net/viewtopic.php?t=286

proton
        Participant
          • Topics: 19
          • Replies: 94
          • Total: 113
          • ★★

Hi All,
          About the licenses.
          I was talking to Atom about that the other day and his creation – Ctrlr – is free for all to use and experiment with. You can even compile it for your needs adding stuff you need (if you have the knowledge). The code is on Github and ready to download. He has no problem with people creating panels and making money by selling them
          BUT, since Atom is using external libraries anyone who want to use Ctrlr commercially should also make sure he is not breaking any laws.
          This is what I’ve asked Jules (the creator of Juce) this January at the NAMM. His response was “If you are selling plugins or programs using Juce you should purchase the “Indie” license”. So this is what I did. He means also that if Ctrlr would display the splashscreen “Made with JUCE” only the personal, free license would be needed.
          Anyone creating VST plugins with Ctrlr should also be a registered VST developer, it is a free and quick process through the Steinberg website.
          Having this bases covered you can feel safe and free to use Ctrlr for commercial projects.

One of Atoms bold ideas was that Ctrlr will be developed for Win,OSX and Linux. The fast development of new OSes on all of those platforms plus lack of suitable hardware for the OSX development is a problem for Atom. He has a regular job and Ctrlr was always a hobby of his but I think he just realized how time consuming it is to keep developing a multiplatform software. On the way Juce changed too and some libraries needed an update.
          Last year he tried to work on the new GUI and few other things along the way but the ver.6 is not usable at the moment.
          We all love what Atom did gave us so far and we should think about a way to keep the project going.
          Maybe a Kickstarter? Maybe a separate teams developing or testing for a particular platform? I dunno. Many of us here are using Ctrlr as a hobby project so it will be hard to delegate tasks and push for results. Any ideas?
          Cheers!

samoht
          Participant

I was talking to Atom about that the other day and his creation (…)He has no problem with people creating panels and making money by selling them

Really?

I know, some time ago, he was begging here on the forum for some money so he could buy an old Apple to give some support for that platform . So far I know, the response in the forum was not that great. Unless there are many silent benefactors.

Nevertheless he feels really good when people are paying licenses for Juce to make money with panels made with his free software, used by them, while he in vain is begging for an old apple to give some support for this free software?

He must be a really self-denying man.
            An example for the forum.

Possemo
            Participant
              • Topics: 14
              • Replies: 638
              • Total: 652
              • ★★★

I do have a theory. Maybe it is completely wrong, I don’t know anything about Roman. It’s just that it would make sense to me:

It could be that Roman thought about selling Ctrlr one day. That is, when it would be mature enough to release a final version. Many projects are open source at the beginning and then they eventually get bought by a big enterprise and are then sold commercially. The idea could have been “kinda commercial” and thus he allowed selling panels from the beginning. Unfortunately that never happened until now, but who knows – hope dies last.

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
            • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
            There is currently 0 users and 79 guests online
            No users are currently active
            Forum Statistics
            Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
            Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
            Ctrlr