Ctrlr panels vs Vintage synths buy advice

Home Forums General General MIDI discussion Ctrlr panels vs Vintage synths buy advice

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Hayabusa
    Participant
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 0
      • Total: 1

HI there guys … i would need some advice as i wanna buy one or two synths … vintage as they call them … 🙂 … so there are a few synths but right now the budget is limited and i will have to pick some. i’m after some greediness like found in Rob Papen (or close too ) RAW , Blue or predator or the bazile synths … I’m also looking for pulse width modulation if possible …
      1 . roland D20 (can’t afford my love roland D50 🙁 ) … it has some greediness , and PWM, and lots of parameters for sound shaping … down side they say has noise and not good quality for the sound. the plus witch is like a must its got ctrlr panel
      2. yamaha sy35 . its said that the sy22 or better yet the tg33 are way much better despite the fact that they have lower sample rate waves . the sy35 i have in my area and i can afford it. down side is that on the sy35, sy22 , as i have read u must send a whole patch via sysex to hear the modified sound., so i guess u can’t just tweak a sysex parameter and hear the modification live , or perhaps not with the hidden parameters . i like the greediness of this synth despite the fact that its got no filter. as i’ve seen sound demos with it sound better than roland d (10 / 20 / 110 ) (except the D50). it has no ctrlr panel (some there say they need beta tester for the panel yet nothing nowhere ) … also tof the filters i think i could use a vst plugin on the synth input signal … what do u think ? …
      3. i had a casio cz… had to let it go … 🙁 … interesting synth … also have yammy dx27 … a worthless pice of crap … fm 4 op , no filter , not many parameters for sound tweaking , but now there are the midi quest panels for it and a ctrlr (the tx81z if i recall correctly )…. yet many-many hours would be needed to get a sort of an acceptable sound out of it (i guess … / it sounds like an absolute pice of crap … i used to get some nice evolving pads out of it though back in the days) . i will still try it when i will have the time with son filter plugins and fx.
      3. kawai k4 (witch got bought today , and there is still one for sale but at double the price … so out of my league for now) . simple architecture but more parameters like in the yammy dx babys synths (21, 27, 100). double filters , warm sound close to or a substitute for the roly D50, ctrlr editor panel … all the pluses go here…. is this synth that good ..?? … how about the kawai k1 ii also in my range … lacks the filter section, and perhaps a more lo fi wavetable … has no ctrlr editor panel … willing to make one panel for it if is would be a good buy , and also put some filter vst plugs on it and fx … what u recon about this ?
      4. roland xp60, xp80, xp50 … in my price range … workstation , jv1080/2080 type tone generator, smooth filters lots of parameters to tweak ring mod ,,,… i do not know if pwm … but i know that there is a trick to make a sort of … pwm … can this synth be made to sound greedy of harsh like the roland d , or the yammy sy22/35 , or the kawai k4/k1 II …?

my wish would be for the roland d20, even d10, or d110 , if the sound noise isn’t noticeable or bothering or if it could be processed with plugins . i like the algoritms on it with the ring mod , the PWM (witch is the only one in the aforementioned synths to have it , lots of parameters to shape the sound )….

sorry for the long post … please share ur opinions and experiences with any of these … i have to decide quickly …

many thx in advance
      all the best !

m.tarenskeen
      Participant
        • Topics: 30
        • Replies: 113
        • Total: 143
        • ★★

The key word is: LISTEN to them.

also have yammy dx27 … a worthless pice of crap … fm 4 op , no filter , not many parameters for sound tweaking

I don’t agree. DX27, identical to DX100 can make great Bass and Percussive attack sounds and Metallic sounds and Bells for example. No filter? So what. It’s an FM synth. Not many parameters for sound tweaking? 94 programmable parameters is not “not many”, if you know how to use them. But if you don’t like the sound, choose another synth.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • The forum ‘General MIDI discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.
      There is currently 0 users and 55 guests online
      No users are currently active
      Forum Statistics
      Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
      Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
      Ctrlr