EMU E4 functionality demo

Home Forums General Panels, Components, Macros EMU E4 functionality demo

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    waldorf1
    Participant
      • Topics: 0
      • Replies: 2
      • Total: 2

can you add the e5000 ultra to the list? or does it work with e6400 device type?

Hecticcc
      Participant
        • Topics: 25
        • Replies: 160
        • Total: 185
        • ★★

Yes, the e5000 ultra also runs eos so it should work. Also the e-synth apparently runs eos so this can also be added to the supported devices. Will make a revised list on next update.

Cheerz,
        Hec

tech22
        Participant
          • Topics: 1
          • Replies: 7
          • Total: 8

Sorry Hecticcc for late response…

Thats right , when the panel loads it sets the device to P001 on ch1 in multimode setup.

Regarding the sysex issue, I think it did happened to me, but I’ll take a closer look on it when I get round to the studio.

Thank you.

Hecticcc
          Participant
            • ★★

I propably forgot to disable the multimode selection knobs on startup , this needs to be done to prevent it from shooting out its values when the panel is loading.
            Thanks for pointing this out, will fix it for the next update.

Hecticcc
            Participant
              • ★★

V 1.2.6 now available – maintenance update.

->Grab it here <-

Minor bugfixes to problems pointed out by various users:

Welcome message should be ok now (some hosts made an endless loop of this window…)
              Multimode selectors setting ch1 to preset 1 on panel loaded fixed, it is now muted during startup so won’t shoot out it’s command anymore.
              Version numbering corrected.
              Keyrange graphics script error message fixed

Revised list of supported devices:

E4
              E64
              E64FX
              E4K
              E4XT
              E4X
              E6400 (aka “classic”)
              E4XT Ultra
              E6400 Ultra
              E-synth
              E5000 (ultra)

New features will be on hold atm, first i need to fix the “sysex flooding” that sometimes occurs. This is due to the panel sending too much data in a short timeframe, somehow locking up the sysex interpreter in the sampler, resulting in non-responsiveness to parameter changes made in the panel.

Saving your preset and rebooting the sampler is the only workaround at this moment.  My advice is to take the precaution of saving to a “temp” preset in case of possible data corruption. I have not (yet) encountered messed up presets but better safe than sorry.

tech22
              Participant

Thanks Hecticcc for keeping us updated.

A few more issues when panel loads :

1. see attachment.

2. low key of the first voice in a preset on chan 1 gets transposed to C-2.

regards.

Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                Hecticcc
                Participant
                  • ★★

No prob 😉

1- This  one has no impact on the midi-functions of the panel, is for graphics. Gonna look what happens, i thought i had squashed it…

2- Also noticed this and looking into it.

Cheerz,

Hec

alphajuno
                  Participant
                    • Topics: 2
                    • Replies: 2
                    • Total: 4

That’s insane…. !!! You’re a total legend !

I bought an JU-1 last week, and found CTRLR as the option to control it.

I’ve also got an E6400 ultra that I’ve used as my quick piano in the studio which saves me micing up the grand when I want to demo something.

I’ve always wanted to use the 6400 more than I have done – I loaded up some samples when I got it in a mates house, and the 2gb drive is largely empty inside it with no way to load onto it.

I’m going to load this up this afternoon as I’ve always wanted to play around with it a bit and found the front panel interface a bit cumbersome – similar to the reasoning I got CTRL for the AlphaJuno !

Brilliant – I’m excited ;-D

AJ.

Hecticcc
                    Participant
                      • ★★

Glad you’re liking it 🙂

Some news:

I’m making a “moar better” coded panel for this beast of a sampler, the version available now works but is not written very well knowing what i know now.

The rewrite is coming along nicely, almost cracked the preset dump format – the tech guys @ Emu back then really made it */!”#*# bonkers to interpret & parse but i’m getting there bit by bit.

I am also re-working the interface so it gets cleaner & more intuitive.

Will keep y’all updated, in the mean while – have fun with your favourite sampler!

Hecticcc
                      Participant
                        • ★★

Update time!

Testers for v2 wanted

I am getting v2 on the rails, but development is slower than anticipated due to the code being better, but requiring more work for each control. I do have a working “engine” and a handful of controls implemented, and would like to start testing “in the wild” to see if it works as expected for everyone.

You can find the beta panel and a text document with some info and tester’s guidelines here:

http://goo.gl/f2CwH

The panel will be updated every once in a while, i will bump this thread & higlight the changes then.

Cheerz,

Hec

tech22
                        Participant

Kudos Hecticcc! Thats a great news.

Will love to participate at beta stage… downloading

Cheers

drsteve
                          Participant
                            • Topics: 3
                            • Replies: 33
                            • Total: 36

I have tried to get the panel to work with an E4X without success. I verified that my midi flow is indeed piped into and out of my PC; I matched the sysex ID; I tried what I thought were all of the various instructions–even though there doesn’t seem to be one place with a single set of definitive instructions.

Clearly the software is sending something to the E4X because the midi light blinks. However, the panel cannot even change presets, much less do anything else.

Any suggestions to get this panel to work? Thanks.

Hecticcc
                            Participant
                              • ★★

Drsteve,

Do yo mean that when you select a preset in the plugin you do not see the LCD on the sampler change?
                              This is normal, the emu does not reflect changes made using sysex unless you happen to be on an edit page that is being manipulated from the panel.

You should see is the controls on the panel change values when a new preset or voice is selected.

Try auditioning a preset and change some easy to hear values.

drsteve
                              Participant

Here’s what I mean: when I press the – or + button under the word preset and some midi data is sent to the E4X, there is nothing that tells me that anything has changed other than the midi led going on then off. I can understand that the display doesn’t change, but neither does the sound of the preset that is assigned to the channel I have selected. Maybe the preset +/- buttons don’t do what I am expecting them to do.

Also, I am wondering if the panel has to be used as a plug-in. I am pressing the buttons on the panel in Ctrlr, not as a plug-in.

I just tried it again. I set up the midi monitor so I can see incoming and out going midi data. I have it set up so that incoming data is echoed as well, so I can verify that data is being sent in and it is being sent out.

Since any changes made on the ctrlr panel do not necessarily produce changes in the E-Mu’s display, I tried altering parameters (e.g., tuning, filter type and filter envelope) and listening. Although some midi data seems to be sent and received, there was no change in the sound.

Also, I would assume that the request dump button would cause data to be sent from one place to another. It appears to do nothing. On the other hand, the refresh preset button seems to be sending data to the Sampler.

Unfortunately, now the midi monitor window has disappeared and there seems to be nothing I can do to get it back. Maybe rebooting my computer will help.

drsteve
                                Participant

There must be a hidden configuration file somewhere that I need to delete. I uninstalled ctrlr. Then I downloaded the newest version (15000) and installed that. Upon start up, the e-mu panel was already there and I still couldn’t open up the midi monitor. By any chance do you know where that hidden configuration file would be in WinXP?

Hecticcc
                                  Participant
                                    • ★★
                                    Hecticcc
                                    Participant
                                      • ★★

The preset button selects a preset in the memory of the sampler, not the preset number in soundsprint – what I think is what you expect.
                                      It is the way the sysex stuff works for Eos.

drsteve
                                      Participant

Thanks for the ctrl-r tip. That worked.

I assume that since the request identity command wowrks, the ctrlr panel and the E4X are set up properly to communicate. However, the Request Edit Buffer produces a warning: Request data is not SysEx. Also, both the Request current bank and the Request current program produce “a getfromDevice failed for item:” warning.

Any idea how these warnings can be turned into successful data transfers?

As for the presets, I never use SoundSprint. I load presets and their samples by loading banks into conventional memory. Should I be using a different method to get your panel to work?

Other Questions:

(1) What is “Duplicate selected voice” [Main] supposed to do–other than transmit: [f0 18 21 01 55 22 01 00 00 00 01 00 00 f7]?

(2) Is request dump supposed to do anything–other than transmit [f0 18 21 01 55 0e 00 00 f7]?

(3) Do you have a list of steps by which I should be able to see changes on the sampler when changing settings on the ctrlr panel so I can confirm it is either working or not working other than by trial and error?

(4) Has anyone else (other than you) gotten the panel to work?

drsteve
                                        Participant

I spent some more time with this panel after pulling out my EOS sysex guide. Thanks for your replies, but I will have to withdraw my offer to help test the panel. Unfortunately, there is no way for me to test the functionality of the panel.

Attached is a file that has some some screenshots and other text showing >>some<< of the problems. I will assume that ctrlr works for some people and maybe your panel works, too. However, I cannot get it to do some basic things. If, as a panel developer, you are also having problems, I'd suggest that you wait a few years until there is a stable version of ctrlr. As regards the Request Identity error, the fact that the midi monitor shows sysex going out, and sysex being received leads me to believe that that much more work is needed. The promise of a cross-platform software tool where people can design panels to control hardware (in standalone or vst mode) is good. If the bugs can ever be worked out, it should be handy. Best Wishes, Steve

drsteve
                                          Participant

The file was a little too big, so I will try to post it in two parts.

Attachments:
                                            You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 57 total)
                                          • The forum ‘Panels, Components, Macros’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                                          There is currently 0 users and 66 guests online
                                          No users are currently active
                                          Forum Statistics
                                          Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                                          Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                                          Ctrlr