Endless Rotary Encoders

Home Forums Development Change requests Endless Rotary Encoders

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    fundorin
    Participant
      • Topics: 8
      • Replies: 66
      • Total: 74

What about subj? I couldn’t find any within Ctrlr’s component menu. Is it available for panels at all?

Possemo
      Participant
        • Topics: 14
        • Replies: 638
        • Total: 652
        • ★★★

I don’t think so. Endless encoders are usually choosen to prevent value jumps when the parameter’s actual value isn’t the same as the pot’s position. But Ctrlr sliders are virtual “motor sliders/pots”. If done right they will always display the correct value.

fundorin
        Participant

My controller sends 1++ midi value (with acceleration up to 12) clockwise and 65++ CCW.
          Is it possible to map those values to pots? What if physical controller on synth is encoder for changing onboard patches? How it should be done within Ctrlr?

Possemo
          Participant
            • ★★★

With uiFixedSlider you can map any values to the slider, e.g center it will be 0, CW would go from 1 to 63 and CCW would go from 64 to 127. By mapping every single value you can do anything, like this:

-3=70
            -2=68
            -1=65
            0=0
            +1=3
            +2=5
            +3=7

Don’t know if this helps.

fundorin
            Participant

Is it a good idea to also add spring to fader, so it’ll always jump back to zero after movement?
              So only downside is that it would be impossible to scroll fader in circular endless motion.

Anyways, I won’t start implementing this, until I’ll find a way to deal with incoming OSC strings from host.

Possemo
              Participant
                • ★★★

spring back to zero depends on the task you want to achieve. I usually want the Ctrlr sliders to display the actual values of the parameters of a synth. I load a sysex dump from the synth and assign the values to the corresponding Ctrlr sliders/selectors/buttons. So all Ctrlr’s components are virtually motorized.

fundorin
                Participant

It is fine with sliders, but for endless encoder it’s pointless to see the position of the encoder, cause it doesn’t have any marks and is just a circular knob.
                  You can add additional representation of the value, using an LCD or, in case of my controller, LED ring around the encoder. And it can be two completely different parameters: 1 is what encoder sends and 2 is what LED or LCD shows.
                  I feel like LED ring could be placed on a layer below encoders to represent it’s value.
                  Wish there was real encoder element available, though.

Encoders are the top left row, while pots are the bottom one:

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by fundorin.
                  Possemo
                  Participant
                    • ★★★

Ok, I see. So you want to exactly reproduce the novation’s hardware panel? As said, I think there are no such things as endless encoders in Ctrlr. Btw. Ctrlr is open source available on Github:
                    https://github.com/RomanKubiak/ctrlr

fundorin
                    Participant

It’s ok, if encoders isn’t possible at this side. It’s just looks. The most important part is to have an ability to receive and send OSC.
                      I know that Ctrlr is open-source, but I’m not a programmer, so it doesn’t give any benefit to me.
                      Meantime, I’ve made UI part of the panel (except pots and faders):

Possemo
                      Participant
                        • ★★★

Looks nice. Unfortunately I’m no programmer either, but when I find the time I will try to poke around in the code anyway.

fundorin
                        Participant

The crucial thing I’m interested in is OSC string values. Everything else can be learned by trial and error, I suppose.

P.S. Done.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by fundorin.
                        Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • The forum ‘Change requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                        There is currently 0 users and 92 guests online
                        No users are currently active
                        Forum Statistics
                        Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                        Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                        Ctrlr