First Sysex attempt – Korg Triton panel – no midi response

Home Forums General General MIDI discussion First Sysex attempt – Korg Triton panel – no midi response

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    theHotHead
    Participant
      • Topics: 3
      • Replies: 6
      • Total: 9

Hi y’all, I decided to take the plunge with sysex commands and I think I have an understanding, problem is I can’t get anything to work on my Korg Triton Rack

I am running OSX 10.9.5 and CTRL 5.3.163. I can create a panel and for stuff like program change and CC changes everything works fine. But I wanted to expand into sysex. The first thing I thought to try was to change mode, so to be able to select Combi, Prog or Multi mode. According to Korg’s MIDI implementation sheet the command for Mode Change should be:

F0, 42, 3g, 50 – EXCL Header
      41 – Function
      0000 mmmm – Mode
      F7 – End of EXCL

Modes are:
      mmm = 0 : Combi play
      mmm = 1 : Combi edit
      mmm = 2 : Prog play
      mmm = 3 : Prog edit
      mmm = 4 : Multi

So I entered into the sysex Formula below for Prog play mode minus parenthesis, using a uiToggleButton:

F0, 42, 30, 50, 41, 00 (LSB), 02 (MSB), F7

The Korg’s MIDI light does not flash when I press the button. I switched the LSB and MSB figures around, so it read 02, 00 instead, still no joy. I downloaded 2 Korg panels for different Korgs hoping the sysex formulas would be the same or very similar, none of the sysex functions registered on my Korg when I pressed relevant buttons. I then tried the most basic syses formula I could see, a Mode request:

F0, 42, 30, 50, 12, F7 and I still don’t get anything registering at the synth.

Should I be using a particular type of button to send these commands ? Based on what i have posted, should it be working ? I can see the correct sysex Midi message in the red output section in the midi monitor. If I can get this to work then I will have confidence to attempt to try all the other sysex commands I think I will need, being stumped at the first hurdle is mightily annoying !!!

Thanks in advance for any help.

• This topic was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by theHotHead.
      t2k
      Participant
        • Topics: 1
        • Replies: 4
        • Total: 5

If you see it on the midi output monitor your problem may be in the routing of midi to the triton – is there an option on the triton itself that may be ignoring incoming sysex? Or might your host DAW be filtering it out? I have the midi device out in CTRLR assigned to my synth so that the midi goes directly to it rather than through the host DAW…

theHotHead
        Participant

Hi T2K, thanks for responding. Let me give you some more info.

I checked the Midi filtering settings on the Korg and it was set to filter Sysex and bank change messages I believe (unticked), so I ticked those boxes to allow them.

My host DAW is not on, I am running CTRLR in standalone mode at the moment.

I set the Midi device In and Out to the Midi port of the Triton (both port 1). I set the Controller device to the Midi port my controller is connected to (Port 8). I have a MOTU Timepiece AV, 8 port MIDI interface.

Regards

dasfaker
          Keymaster
            • Topics: 80
            • Replies: 793
            • Total: 873
            • ★★★

If you see midi out from the panel to the synth, the problem is with your synth, or with the sysex syntax.

Try the opposite, send some message from the synth to Ctrlr and see if there is something in the midi in monitor, check the sysex received and compare it with your messages. You could try to resend any incoming sysex to see if your synth reacts to it.

theHotHead
            Participant

Dudes .. I love you !!! I double checked the Midi filter setting in the Korg and it was still to ignore Sysex commands. It turns out I did not press the “write” button previously after making the change. I can now switch between all the modes correctly.

Now the biggie, receiving bank and program info correctly 🙂 Aint no stopping me now :):)

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by theHotHead.
            Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • The forum ‘General MIDI discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.
            There is currently 0 users and 73 guests online
            No users are currently active
            Forum Statistics
            Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
            Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
            Ctrlr