Generic Sysex Record and Send

Home Forums General Programming Generic Sysex Record and Send

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    t2k
    Participant
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 4
      • Total: 5

Hey all, been playing with CTRLR since yesterday after getting the idea that it would be really nice to store programs from my Prophet 12 inside of my Ableton sessions and not have to rely on some other external librarian tool.

Here is a minimum working panel with a “Record” and “Send” button which will can save and restore a single sysex dump.

The way to use it:

1) Setup CTRLR Midi in and out so that your device is connected properly. Test with the Midi Monitor to be sure.

2) Design a sound/configure your external midi instrument or device

3) Hit “Record” on the CTRLR panel. Status label should say “Waiting…”

4) On your external midi device, trigger a sysex dump of whatever you intend to record. On my Prophet 12 global menu, I select “Dump Current Program”

5) Status label should now say “Received XXXX bytes”

6) Save your DAW session, the sysex bytes are saved in the plugin state and will be there next time you load your DAW session.

7) Whenever needed, click “Send” to send the Sysex to your device

When reloading your DAW project later, the status will say “Loaded XXX bytes”. You will have to manually click Send if you want the sysex to go out to your device.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      caustik
      Participant
        • Topics: 0
        • Replies: 2
        • Total: 2

Thanks for this! I’ve been hoping for a way to load/save program for my analog synths from inside Ableton. This does the trick!

t2k
        Participant
          • Topics: 1
          • Replies: 4
          • Total: 5

Glad to hear it, I was hoping someone would find it useful =)

What synths are you using it with? With the Prophet 12 I was able to expand the basic design significantly, triggering a sysex dump and record via a single button click in CTRLR… and then getting really crazy, I setup a knob that could morph the bytes of one sysex program into another, allowing you to find very odd/unique sounds “between” the two presets.

caustik
          Participant
            • Replies: 2
            • Total: 2

So far I’ve used it with a Dave Smith Poly Evolver. Morphing programs sounds awesome! Yesterday was my first time trying Ctrlr so I have only tried very basic things so far. Is it possible to automate pressing the load button as a VST parameter? I see that they are assigned a parameter number, but changing that parameter just seemed to remove the button text or something.

Possemo
            Participant
              • Topics: 14
              • Replies: 638
              • Total: 652
              • ★★★

Interesting stuff. I haven’t used stateData yet but I think I will implement it in my panels too. I didn’t knew that you can save a whole sysexdump in one go with stateData – this is great. I wonder how you did the morphing.

ricnotes
              Participant
                • Replies: 1
                • Total: 1

Hi t2k,

This is exactly what I was looking for to store and load patches from my Split-8.

My only problem, is that the split-8 doesn’t have a manual option to send and receive sysex dumps. You have to send a sysex request to get it to send and receive the data… I found an old librarian software that supports the split-8 called opcode galaxy and I found the send and receive patch scripts for it… not sure if it will help…

Here is a link to the galaxy manual, and the send and receive patch scripts.. I hope it all helps.

http://www.houseofsynth.com/hos-downloads/manuals/Opcode/Opcode-PathcTalk-Guide-1997.pdf

SEND PATCH SCRIPT

— Sequential Split Eight. Written by Adam McInnis 05/15/90.

— Setup system exclusive
                Put $F0 $01 $0D into SysExHeader

— Send single program dump

Nibblize Patch into PatchData

Send SysExHeader DevicePatchNum PatchData $F7

— done

GET PATCH SCRIPT

— Sequential Split Eight. Written by Adam McInnis 05/15/90.

— Setup system exclusive
                Put $F0 $01 $00 into SysExHeader

— Request single program dump
                Send SysExHeader DevicePatchNum $F7

ReceivePackets 4 1 30+4+1 into PatchData timeout after 100 ms

DeNibblize PatchData into Patch

— done

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • The forum ‘Programming’ is closed to new topics and replies.
              There is currently 0 users and 84 guests online
              No users are currently active
              Forum Statistics
              Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
              Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
              Ctrlr