Handling Multiple Parts

Home Forums General General MIDI discussion Handling Multiple Parts

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ycros
    Participant
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 4
      • Total: 5

I have a Waldorf Blofeld, and I’ve started working on a panel for v5. I’m wondering how best to handle multiple parts? It looks like the 6th field in the sysex string is the one that changes when you change parts, but I have no idea how to incorporate this into the UI.

Is this something to do with the program manager, or is this unrelated?

atom
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 159
        • Replies: 2945
        • Total: 3104
        • ★★★★★

well that depends how are you going to deal with parts visualy…

but i assume you want to have a slider/combo that will choose witch part to edit, this will need a line or two in LUA to change one byte in all modulator sysex definition
        the other approach would be to use global variables in the SysEx editor bu i didn’t have the time to implement them. What i can recommend is building a panel for one part
        and later adding more parts will be a matter of changing one byte in all sysex messages (this can be done easily in any text editor using a quick find and replace, remember all panel files are XML text files).
        Once i add those global parameters (modifiers in the sysex editor) you’ll just replace the byte with something like "k0" and this will indicate "set this byte to the current value of the global parameter 0"

Ycros
        Participant

I’ll probably go for a slider or something. My goal is to have multiple instances of Ctrlr, one for each part that I’m using on a track.

atom
          Keymaster
            • ★★★★★

don’t load multiple instances of Ctrlr, load multiple panels in one Ctrlr that’s the whole point, v5 does not support multiple instances, everything you do should be available in one instance.

Ycros
            Participant

Um, but ideally I’d like an instance per track in my DAW, to be able to sequence automation alongside my notes for each part.

atom
              Keymaster
                • ★★★★★

but with one instance you can still automate all parameters, and with multiple instances you won’t be able to claim the same MIDI Devices on Windows, with one instance all panels can share one MIDI Device.

I’m not saying it won’t work i’m saying it will be more difficult to manage, there is one issue i know that can cause problems with multiple instances at the moment (on Windows) but it’s on my todolist and once i fix that i see no problem with multiple instances.

But consider what i wrote i think you’ll find it more useful.

nrhyan
                Participant
                  • Topics: 5
                  • Replies: 45
                  • Total: 50

It’s alive!!! the VST is alive!!! hahaha!

Ycros
                  Participant
                    "atom":3kkek8t4 wrote:
                    but with one instance you can still automate all parameters[/quote:3kkek8t4]

I can, but then I have to automate all the parameters for all the parts on one track, I can’t sequence them alongside my notes as I’d like. This makes it tricky when I have multiple sequences coming in and out throughout a song. I guess I could fall-back to just using CCs, but then I lose the niceness of having a VST there.

atom
                    Keymaster
                      • ★★★★★

Well it’s up to you…

i added those global parameters for SysEx messages, in the SysEx editor it’s k0-kf (16 parameters) and you can assign the value by giving any controller on the panel a property "Global Variable" larger then -1 (it’s the modulators property).

minimalist
                      Participant
                        • Topics: 10
                        • Replies: 141
                        • Total: 151
                        • ★★

"v5 does not support multiple instances"

Really? As I understood it’s not working for Windows – how is it with Mac? And how is it if I use different MIDI ports?
                        The support of multible v5 instances is also for me very important. There are many reasons why I prefer to have one instance of v5 for each MIDI channel.

atom
                        Keymaster
                          • ★★★★★

Well like i wrote for now it’s not something i tested, and i know there are portions of code that will fail with multiple instances, it’s on the todolist once it’s done multiple instances should work.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • The forum ‘General MIDI discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                        There is currently 0 users and 90 guests online
                        No users are currently active
                        Forum Statistics
                        Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                        Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                        Ctrlr