Handling of NRPN feedback

Home Forums General General MIDI discussion Handling of NRPN feedback

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    goodweather
    Participant
      • Topics: 45
      • Replies: 550
      • Total: 595
      • ★★★

Hi,
      as explained in different topics on this forum, Ctrlr modulators are reacting on messages FROM the synth when the message is the same has what is sent from Ctrlr (what is defined in the MIDI section of the modulator).

CC messages are thus easily processed.
      However, synths have more parameters than CC numbers available and thus NRPN numbers are used.

The issue with NRPN is that first 2 messages are sent 99 and 98, then 6 and then only single messages 38 for each value change until another parameter is selected when 99 and 98 are sent again.

So, Ctrlr cannot understand the NRPN messages coming back from the synth.

Did anyone created a function on how to handle incoming NRPN messages?

Thx in advance!

atom
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 159
        • Replies: 2945
        • Total: 3104
        • ★★★★★

NRPN should be handled by Ctrlr by default, i have tested this with the MOPHO and it works both ways, if your slider in Ctrlr is sending NRPNs and the synth is sending them back to the computer, Ctrlr should react to those messages.

If not please let me know what device is this and what sort of panel are you using.

goodweather
        Participant
          • ★★★

Haha… Good news Atom!
          I’ll check this further during the w-e and prepare some explanations/description of what I have. Sometimes I also don’t have feedback from CC messages as well.
          I tested with a new empty panel just with 2 sliders. One in CC and one in NRPN. Each of them addresses a different EG parameter of the Sub37.
          The Sub37 can send back in CC or in NRPN. So either one button or the other should move.
          I have MidiOX. Are they specific messages you would like to get to be able to analyse what is not working?
          I’m first starting the Moog then Ctrlr.

Something else, as I speak of MidiOX. MidiOX cannot start as long as Ctrlr is working (and I think it is the same in the other direction). Did you try this?

goodweather
          Participant
            • ★★★

Hi Atom,
            I have now made some tests…
            I attach my simple test panel so you can have a look.
            The device is a Moog Sub37. As I explained above, it outputs either in CC or in NRPN but not on both at the same time.
            When output is set to CC: then I get the feedback on the 2 blue buttons (however, this was not working on the second button, I had to delete it and recreate it by doing a copy/paste of the first button – why?).
            The issue is that with CC output, there are quite a lot of other Sub37 buttons that will not send feedback as they only send NRPN back. So, I would really prefer NRPN feedback.
            When in NRPN, nothing is moving.
            I attach the Ctrlr output (each time the 99,98,6,38 output by value) and input (=Sub37 output). Also from MidiOX. As you can see the Sub37 output is not as lean… you get several 38 (hex28) in a row then one 6 etc… 99 and 98 only when you change parameter.
            Did you encounter same behaviour on your Moog devices?

Thx for helping and Merry Xmas to you and family…Dominique

Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
            atom
            Keymaster
              • Topics: 159
              • Replies: 2945
              • Total: 3104
              • ★★★★★

How do you route MIDI to Ctrlr, are you hosting it as a plugin or are you running it in standalone mode ? Also is in plugin mode how is it receiving MIDI, from the host or directly from a MIDI device ?

MIDI OX or some other apps might not start when Ctrlr is running if it’s using a MIDI device. On windows most of midi device drivers are single client only (can be opened only once), a lot of drivers are broken and some apps just hang when trying to open a device that’s open by some other app.

goodweather
              Participant
                • ★★★

I’m using Ctrlr in standalone mode. Sub37 connected to USB. Sub37 appearing in list of Midi devices in Ctrlr.
                Did you try the test panel with your Mopho or another synth?

Thx for the explanation about midi drivers being single client only.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • The forum ‘General MIDI discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.
              There is currently 0 users and 89 guests online
              No users are currently active
              Forum Statistics
              Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
              Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
              Ctrlr