Is the newest build not transmitting midi back?

Home Forums General Programming Is the newest build not transmitting midi back?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    proton
    Participant
      • Topics: 19
      • Replies: 94
      • Total: 113
      • ★★

Hi all,
      I’ve opened a panel created with an older version of Ctrlr (all was OK there as I can recall) and all my CCs and buttons using midi notes that were sending AND receiving are sending only now.
      For testing purposes I’ve even created a simple slider sending CC#100 as a Volume control to Cubase (v 8.0.2) and all I can do is to change the volume by driving the slider but if I do the change inside Cubase nothing is moving on the other end. All the Midi connections are OK, just the receiving part is missing.
      Any ideas why this could happen?
      Does other users noticed this?
      Thanks!

Puppeteer
      Participant
        • Topics: 16
        • Replies: 185
        • Total: 201
        • ★★

I haven’t noticed any issues. Can you assign a VST controller to the plugin, rather than trying to send it MIDI? There’s a comparatator build into Ctrlr that is supposed to stop MIDI events being received that will be transmitted again, to stop MIDI loops.

The Puppeteer
        http://godlike.com.au

proton
        Participant
          • ★★

OK so I did few tests with Midi and also assigning a VST controller and it is still no luck on the way back into Ctrlr using Ctrlr as a standalone BUT it is working properly if I do the same with an exported VST instance of Ctrlr inside Cubase. The In/Out midi connection is the same in both cases but only the VST version of my panel is reacting to the incoming data (and that makes me at least a bit happier since VST will be the goal for me here).
          However I’m still wondering what can be the cause here, I’m sure it was working with the standalone too and I could get direct feedback while working on my panel.
          Thanx!

Puppeteer
          Participant
            • Topics: 16
            • Replies: 185
            • Total: 201
            • ★★

In Ctrlr the comparatator checks for incoming MIDI data and stops output (I think) if would cause a MIDI loop (ie if you change a value on your external synth that sends MIDI, there’s no point sending it back to the synth again, because it’s already changed there.)

See – http://ctrlr.org/forums/topic/midi-input-from-host-no-longer-working-vst-mode/ for a discussion on this, and also – http://ctrlr.org/forums/topic/midi-settings-ui-needed/

In practice what I’ve noticed is that the MIDI sliders will only move on the standalone if they are receiving the same controller they are programmed to send. ie if I have a slider programmed to send Data (CC#6) it will move if and only it receives CC#6 from the MIDI input.

Also, make sure you have a MIDI device assigned to Input and Controller. They both seem to be required.

If you want a controller to respond to a different MIDI CC you’ll need to do this in LUA.

The Puppeteer
            http://godlike.com.au

proton
            Participant
              • ★★

Yes, this is all true and I had it already all working alright but not anymore – that’s the mystery.
              I’m using loopMIDI to connect virtual midi cable between Ctrlr and Cubase and since I have created 2 ports – No.1 for CtrlOut>>CubaseIN and No.2 for CubaseOut>>CtrlrIn I never had problems with MIDI loops / MIDI feedbacks.

What I do here is for ex. assign a CC#100 to a slider in Ctrlr and use it to drive the Volume slider of a chosen track inside Cubase. All I need is a visual feedback on my Ctrlr slider when I play back my session with all the automation lanes in Cubase. I checked with Midi Quest and I see Cubase sending CC#100 back to Ctrlr on the right MIDI port etc. It is just not showing up in Ctrlr anymore.
              Same goes for other buttons, leds and sliders that need to change state or value if deselected or changed inside Cubase.
              Tomorrow I’ll try on my laptop with some older builds and see if that changes anything.
              Thanks for your feedback Puppeteer!
              Cheers!

goodweather
              Participant
                • Topics: 45
                • Replies: 550
                • Total: 595
                • ★★★

Hi Puppeteer, hope your are fine!
                well, I’m replying in this post as I also don’t have any feedback from my hardware… and the issue is that I don’t remember if I had feedback before.

I’m using 5.3.94 on Windows; Midi Input, Output and Controller are towards my Sub37.
                I have a panel with CC and another one where I used NRPN.
                Just tested both to check the feedback from the Sub37 to Ctrlr and indeed I don’t see anything.

Any setting that needs to be done?
                Any tip to put us on tracking the issue?
                Checking some stuff with Midi monitor or MidiOX?

Thx in advance!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • The forum ‘Programming’ is closed to new topics and replies.
              There is currently 0 users and 46 guests online
              No users are currently active
              Forum Statistics
              Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
              Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
              Ctrlr