Korg Poly 800 MKII

Home Forums General Programming Korg Poly 800 MKII

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    AHCS
    Participant
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 3
      • Total: 4

Hi folks!

I’m new around here, but i’ve been using ctrlr for some time now.

Really love the thing, this is a very good idea, amazing one really and i love controlling my old 80’s knobless synths with it!

Well, i’ve forgot a bout a little toy i had here for a while on a box.

A korg poly 800 MKII.

I really regret i’ve put it away for so long, i’ve just turned it on today and as much of you can think the contrary, this little thing can really be nice and mellow sounding!

One off the reasons i’ve put it away was because it was really impossible to tweak it, i could never map a filter cutoff to my remote zero sl from novation, and most of my other synths from this time allow me to do it…

So… I’m thinking of making a ctrlr panel for it!

The only problem is, i can’t understand a thing about the midi implementation on the manual… I can’t figure out how to discover a sysex string for the cutoff, for example…

If some of you could help me, i would really thank you all and i guess that hundreds of poly 800 MKII owners would also do it!

Gonna leave here the link for the manual: http://www.synthmanuals.com/manuals/korg/poly-800_mkii/owners_manual/korg_poly800ii_manual.pdf

Thank you very much!

Kindest regards!

Puppeteer
      Participant
        • Topics: 16
        • Replies: 185
        • Total: 201
        • ★★

From the manual, it looks like real time control is very limited (pitch, filter cutoff)

The messages for pitch are Bch 01 nn (where ch is the midi channel and n is in the range of 8 – 78 and is the Most significant byte (MSB). It has 4 bit resolution (so 16 values)

The messages for filter cutoff are Bch 02 nn. same format as above.

SYSEX can be used for editing patches off line and transmitting to the synth. The SYSEX dump format is actually pretty well detailed.

The Puppeteer
        http://godlike.com.au

AHCS
        Participant

Hi Puppeteer!

Thank you very much for your reply!

Sorry for my newbie perspective, but i should then copy this: Bch 02 nn to the sysex string of the button i want to create on the panel for the filter cutoff?

I just don’t get it… It’s the first time i’m doing this, seems so confusing to me…

How do i assign the cutoff from the poly 800 MKII to the fader or knob in the ctrl panel i want to design?

Normally i would do it on my remote zero sl controller by inserting a sysex string on the controller itself…

Really a newbie on this ctrlr thing, sorry for it!

Puppeteer
          Participant
            • ★★

No worries.

The easiest way is to create a new panel.

Right click on the panel and add a uiSlider.

With the uiSlider (modulator-1) selected (should have an orange box around it), scroll down in the right pane until you get to the MIDI section.

Set midiMessageType to CC
            set midiMessageCtrlrNumber to 2 (for filter cutoff, or 1 for pitch).

Up the top, select the Panel menu and select Panel Mode
            In the MIDI menu select your MIDI output and set it to channel 1.

Now you should be able to play a note and use the mouse to move the new knob and it should change your filter cutoff.

I thought about the range today, and it actually ranges from 0 to 78 (hex) or 120 (decimal), but it will only have 16 steps over the range. It’s essentially a full knob range anyway.

The Puppeteer

AHCS
            Participant

Hey Puppeteer! Thank you very much!

Let me try that! Will get back to you ASAP!

What do you think about doing this project with me?

I could do the design of the panel and after you could do the controls…

Would be very cool! Then we just share it for the community!

Tell me what you think about this!

Kindest regards and thanks once again!

AHCS
              Participant

OK that’s done! And it really works! But not as i expected…

What is working is the VCF mod amount from the joystick, not the VCF filter cutoff itself…

What we are controlling is only the joystick (kind of pitch and mod wheel thing on the Poly 800 MKII)

Any thoughts?

In the attachment you can see what we are controlling…

Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                Puppeteer
                Participant
                  • ★★

Hi AHCS,

From what I read in the manual, the pitch and filter mod are the only 2 parameters that can be controlled in real time. Probably volume and pan as well.

From what I can tell (and I don’t have a poly 800 to test it with) all of the sysex stuff if for dumps.

Conceivably you could build a panel to allow offline editing and then dump the patch to the Poly 800, but I don’t think it will allow real time control, based on what I read in the manual.

Unfortunately I don’t have the time to work on a panel with you, and not having a Poly 800 to develop with will make it difficult. I’m currently immersed in my Kurzweil PC3 editor panels, which will be an enourmous job given that a) no SYSEX or control spec has been released, meaning I need to completely reverse engineer it myself from trial and error, and b) there are probably more than 10,000 parameters that can be controlled.

Am happy to answer questions if I am able, on the forum though and give what support I can, for you to do it.

I’m still very new at this, but the Poly 800 should be an achievable panel for a beginner, with a bit of work.

I’d suggest the following steps.

1) work out how to manually dump from the Poly 800 to something like SendSX (http://www.bome.com/products/sendsx)

2) Isolate a patch from the dumps for testing

3) Work out how to send that patch manually from Ctrlr using a button and the SYSEX box in the right pane.

4) Work out how to send the patch manually using LUA (panel:sendMidiMessageNow(m) will be useful where m is your SYSEX String) and how to trigger that from a panel control.

5) Work out how to assign knobs and sliders to variables and to substitute them into the sysex string prior to sending it for a single control

6) Repeat step 5 for all other controls

7) Make it look pretty.

The Puppeteer

freekick
                  Participant
                    • Topics: 2
                    • Replies: 7
                    • Total: 9

So anyone actually got a way to control the original POly 800 II filter cutoof and resonance?

Thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • The forum ‘Programming’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                  There is currently 0 users and 46 guests online
                  No users are currently active
                  Forum Statistics
                  Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                  Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                  Ctrlr