Lexicon PCM 80/81 front panel control

Home Forums General Panels, Components, Macros Lexicon PCM 80/81 front panel control

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    beachbuminthesun1
    Participant
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 1
      • Total: 2

Hi,

New to all this. I’m trying to do something that is hopefully fairly simple. I want front panel control of my lexicon pcm81.

I’ve gotten the buttons working but no luck with the two endless encoders.

Here is the midi implementation guide if anyone can help:

View post on imgur.com

thanks

*is there any chance of getting LCD feedbackfrom the unit? If so, is it easy to implement?

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      EnzoF04
      Participant
        • Topics: 17
        • Replies: 102
        • Total: 119
        • ★★

So the data for the parameter is send on bytes 07 to 10 to the Lexion, 4 bytes. It says On but you need not read on like switched on, you need to see this as decimal 0 n n or hexadecimal 0 x n n or binary 0 n n n n n n n.

The data is at the positions where it says ‘n’. That is the data part.

The data bytes can each contain a value between decimal 000 (binary 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0) and 127 (binary 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1). Byte 10, the 4th byte in the data part to be sent is the most significant one.

Can you grab the sysex the PCM is sending out? Like record it in a program? Can use the midi monitor in Ctrlr. Take a note of the values you are selecting when turning the knob. You should record 11 bytes of sysex every time you turn a knob. You need to select the automation mode and change values, not parameters, as the bottom line of your snippet from the manual says.
        When you are capable of doing a recording of sent sysex from the Lexicon, you could start by recording the sysex for changing from data / parameter value 3 to 0 and store these 4 messages and record changes from max value -4 to max value.

Hope this helps

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by EnzoF04.
        beachbuminthesun1
        Participant
          • Topics: 1
          • Replies: 1
          • Total: 2

Hey Enzo thanks for the help. The lexicon is transmitting sysex for monitoring but only for parameter specific values, not for the global encoder menu selection movements.

My Sysex formula looks like this: F0 06 07 00 14 01 X X X X F7

What do I put for the Xs so that CTRLr understands they are variables?

EnzoF04
          Participant
            • ★★

First off: do you know the minimum value and the maximum value of the parameter in the Lexicon that you want to change with the panel? I assume this is a pretty big number because it is communicated over 4 bytes. 1 midi byte can have a value between 0 and 127 in decimal, in binary that is 00000000 min and 01111111 max.

Usually you can use components on your panel, the modulators to generate values. When you adjust a modulator on a panel, code that you programmed in methods, is executed and in this code midi messages can be send. Midi messages can be send very quickly after each other. So for example in a second you can sent 20 or more midi messages. You can thus change parameters in your equipment at real time speed. There fore you need to change the midi messages very quick. Here do the ‘x’es come in. The ‘x’es’ in your midi message are like placeholders, positions reserved for values and the values in these positions need to be taken from some where or given to the spots.

First step is you create a modulator on a panel like a uiSlider. The slider gets a minimum value of 0 and a maximum value of 127. (you can do this in the panel edit mode. Then in the right side of your screen, you can change properties of the uiSlider. Scroll down and put the min and max values in.

Also in the right properties side of the Ctrlr interface there is a field that says ‘called when modulator value changes’. You create a method there that is called every time the user changes the value of that slider.

In the code you are filling in of the ‘x’es’ in your midi message that is to be send.

I’ll demonstrate it in a panel but will do that later. Hang on this post, will update tonight.

EnzoF04
            Participant
              • ★★

Okay my reply was deleted by the forum: NEVER edit your post! (keep that in mind!)

I could use the back button to get my writing back. Here it is.

Sorry for the delay. Here is the very simple panel.

The stuff that is happening in the method (found in the Lua editor) are for you the most important. Make sure the panel is in ‘panel’ mode and not in ‘edit’ mode. See what is happening with values and see the comments I’ve wrote in in the Lua editor. The method you should look into is ‘rotary_OnChange”. This method is called when modulator-1 is changed. See the panel in edit mode. Select the modulator (modulator-1) and scroll down in the right side of the screen to where it says ‘called when the modulator value is changed).

Hope this gives you a start in thinking how to deal with the stuff you want to do.
              Secondly you should dive into the syntax of Lua and conversion from decimal (base 10) to hexadecimal (base 16) and perhaps binary (base 2).

You also need to know what the minimum and maximum values that are accepted by the PCM. You need to know this because you have to make the correct midi messages that will be send to your device.

Hope this helps. Questions? Just ask!

Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
            Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • The forum ‘Panels, Components, Macros’ is closed to new topics and replies.
            There is currently 0 users and 65 guests online
            No users are currently active
            Forum Statistics
            Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
            Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
            Ctrlr