MIDI device settings: Controller/In device

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr MIDI device settings: Controller/In device

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    msepsis
    Participant
      • Topics: 219
      • Replies: 732
      • Total: 951
      • ★★★

Simply curious if it advisable or doesn’t matter whether a user has their MIDI IN device set to the same device as the MIDI CONTROLLER device?

I presume this is no problem, I’ve had no problems with this but since it’s a relatively newish feature I just wanted to be sure I understood the intent before disseminating incorrect info.

Although the general use is rather self-explanatory could you explain the inner workings and difference between the IN device and the CONTROLLER device?

Why not just control the panel with the MIDI IN device? Is controller device just to set up remote slider control from hardware? How are those messages handled differently from those coming into the “Controller” device?

I havent made my way through all the new documentation.. if its there just point me to the right page and save another explanation 🙂

Thanks as always!

Monstrum Media | Music, Sound & Software Design, Chicago / San Francisco listen

atom
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 159
        • Replies: 2945
        • Total: 3104
        • ★★★★★

This is something that i’m planning to implement in the future, for now one of the Ctrlr users “stoners” added this code to Ctrlr so that the Controller device does the same thing that the Input device does. But it will have a different functionality. MIDI In/Out will be used for communicating with the device the panel is created for, while the Controller device will be used to map “custom” MIDI events on the Controller device to modulators/components in the panel, it will come with a “MIDI Learn” function.

Karl
        Participant
          • Topics: 1
          • Replies: 12
          • Total: 13

Hi, a question regarding controller devices and “Midi learn”. Is it possible right now to assign a CC control message to a slider to control it with a midi controller?  In “panel mode” in the midi menu I can actually change from “sysex” to “CC”, then I enter a controller number and it works, but this is of course at the same time the main transfer channel from the panel to the synth (JX8P). So when I do this the slider stops transmitting to the synth – Is it possible to assign sysex AND CC to the same slider? Thanks!

Bye

Alex

atom
          Keymaster
            • ★★★★★

No that’s the point of the Controller device, so that you can have bi-directional communication with the JX8P, and additionally plug a whatever-plastic-crap controller, so you can map knobs to it.

For now you can still do that when in plugin mode, if your Host can automate the parameters Ctrlr exports, you can link them to controller events handled by your Plugin Host.

msepsis
            Participant
              • Topics: 219
              • Replies: 732
              • Total: 951
              • ★★★

Is it possible right now to assign a CC control message to a slider to control it with a midi controller?

As your question is asked here, the answer is yes. Have you tried this?

Is it possible to assign sysex AND CC to the same slider?

No. That would create a mess. the way to do what you’re talking about would be with a Lua script.

You probably will need to provide a little more info on what your intent here is. Do you want to move a knob on the panel with two different knobs on your synth? Do you want one knob on the synth to control two parameters on the panel? Not sure I follow what you’re trying to do.. i suspect atom will have trouble following too as the description of your intended use is a little fuzzy.

Monstrum Media | Music, Sound & Software Design, Chicago / San Francisco listen

Karl
              Participant

Hi, ok – I will try again. I have a midi keyboard with knobs that send CC messages to my computer. I use ctrlr in standalone mode.  I want to control the sliders of the ctrlr JX-8P Panel with these knobs. Or put differently: I want to use CTRLR as a CC to SYSEX interface!  I want to control my JX-8P with my midi keyboard. Isn’t that one of the main purposes of CTRLR?

So: Midi Keyboard > CTRLR/Panel > Roland JX-8P Synth

Thanks!

atom
                Keymaster
                  • ★★★★★

Only within a Plugin Host/DAW

Karl
                  Participant

Hi atom, the problem is that my logic express 9 does not accept the exported instance of the JX-8P Programmer (I used the new 2.2 panel version with the right nightly build). I get an error message when logic starts that the plug-in check failed… I need the instance however so that logic can detect the parameters…

Thanks for all your efforts! Someday this WILL work for me.

atom
                    Keymaster
                      • ★★★★★

My mac setup is currently a work in progress i’m trying to get OSX installed on my hardware and not in a VM. I hope to get this running by the end of the weekend but i need some time. The VM is ok for just doing builds but doing any debugging and applications it’s just too slow and unresponsive.

Karl
                      Participant

Hi, great – and thanks that you are providing CTRLR for mac too!

artofnois
                        Participant
                          • Topics: 26
                          • Replies: 40
                          • Total: 66

One simple question:

longer operating the Conontroller In Device to control a panel from a BCR2000?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                        There is currently 0 users and 47 guests online
                        No users are currently active
                        Forum Statistics
                        Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                        Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                        Ctrlr