MIDI in your browser

Home Forums General General MIDI discussion MIDI in your browser

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    atom
    Keymaster
      • Topics: 159
      • Replies: 2945
      • Total: 3104
      • ★★★★★

There is this new technology that allows you to send and receive MIDI in your browser, http://jazz-soft.net/. With that enabled and knowing that JavaScript can handle XML easily it would be possible to create a Ctrlr-like program in the web browser. This would be a common platform and might help in some embedded systems. Anyone has any thoughts on that, maybe there is someone here who would like to try to create a simple web application that would read a Ctrlr panel, create some basic controls and make it work. It would be interesting.

msepsis
      Participant
        • Topics: 219
        • Replies: 732
        • Total: 951
        • ★★★

Is the new technology called the internet? 🙂

Looks just software that sits in your browser and packs/unpacks midi messages for send/rx through TCP/IP… i’m sure with loads of latency if it’s piped through the interwebs.

Thanks for sharing this. Installing and tinkering. From the release notes it seems to support long sysex messages which is more than ableton can say about live which knows nothing about sysex… and you know what? With ctrlr as an au/vst that’s just fine in all fairness!

Monstrum Media | Music, Sound & Software Design, Chicago / San Francisco listen

msepsis
        Participant
          • ★★★

Ok completely new train of thought, so completely new post…

After playing with this the obvious points to connect in my mind would be from android / ios devices to ctrlr running on a system thats on the same wireless network as the handhelds.

It would be a bonus if ctrlr could be controlled as a VST/AU running within a DAW as well as within ctrlr stand-alone.

You want help with that? I’m down.

atom
          Keymaster
            • Topics: 159
            • Replies: 2945
            • Total: 3104
            • ★★★★★

This is not network based, this library opens ports on your local computer (wherever the browser is running), ever since we hot HTML5 and the <canvas /> tag we can draw anything, nowadays this drawing is GPU accelerated cause browsers do that. So it would be a pretty decent controller device that runs in your browser, the only problem i see now is a time source, i don’t think that JS has threads but i might be wrong.

msepsis
            Participant
              • ★★★

I see. didn’t tinker very deep with my limited time at the moment. I’m not completely convinced yet that this can not be utilized as a stepping stone to get there from here in terms of using the browser in a handheld device to control a midi device (synth) connected to an interface on a system on the same network as the handheld…

in terms of javascript having multiple threads, the short answer is no, however there’s something called HTML 5 workers, and there’s something called google chrome 🙂

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2241721/does-javascript-support-multiple-threads-if-not-how-should-i-implement-sleep

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/html5/tutorials/introducing-html-5-web-workers-bringing-multi-threading-to-javascript.html#fbid=agImpZEtCRQ

google’s chrome browser however is capable of basic javascript multithreading… https://code.google.com/p/v8-juice/wiki/ThreadingInJS still, as the link says, It is impossible, using JS-only constructs, to write 100% thread-safe code in JavaScript.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • The forum ‘General MIDI discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.
            There is currently 0 users and 67 guests online
            No users are currently active
            Forum Statistics
            Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
            Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
            Ctrlr