Modulators represent current patch.

Home Forums General General MIDI discussion Modulators represent current patch.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    King PP
    Participant
      • Topics: 12
      • Replies: 25
      • Total: 37

Hi.

Does anyone know a good method or software to discover which byte of a MIDI dump represents a synth parameter? I’ve just finished most of a Roland JV1080 panel but would like the modulators to reflect the current synth patch (I was going to use the ‘assignValues’ method). I’ve looked at the JV manual & it does not tell you which byte represents which parameter as far as i can see.

The only thing I could think of doing is dumping a JV MIDI patch to the computer, changing a parameter on the JV, dump the patch to the computer again & manually find which byte has changed in the second dump. (One for each parameter!!)

Any ideas?

Thanks, Christopher.

lfo2vco
      Participant
        • Topics: 26
        • Replies: 162
        • Total: 188
        • ★★

Hi Christopher,

I think you have quite a task on you hands there, I was struggling to made sense of the MIDI implementation charts. Not that I am much of an expert.

I have attached a text file with a excerpt from the page on the link below:
        http://www.gmarts.org/data/jv-midiman.htm

I think the data you require is in here, under the address column. The bytes are listed as hexadecimal, so you will need to convert the Hex to Decimal using the Ctrlr MIDI calculator (A0 = 10, on the tenth line no less! 0B =11 and so on). The Controller values are at the end of the line.

Use the Ctrlr MIDI Monitor to grab the data from a Sysex Tone Edit Dump and interrogate it byte by byte. Use one patch as a reference and stick to it, as you say tweak a parameter and see where it changes. I printed a copy and then wrote notes on it as I went. I also copied the data I grabbed in to a text editor and using a mono spaced font such as Courier I compared it line for line.

I think the actual data you require will start on the ninth or tenth byte after all the Sysex IDs and stuff. See below:

status data byte status
        F0H, 41H, dev, 6AH, 12H, aaH, bbH, ccH, ddH, eeH, … ffH, sum F7H

Byte Remarks
        F0H = Exclusive status
        41H = ID number (Roland)
        dev = device ID (dev: 10H)
        6AH = model ID (JV-1010)
        12H = command ID (DT1)
        aaH = address MSB
        bbH = address
        ccH = address
        ddH = address LSB
        eeH = data : The actual data to be transmitted.
        Multi-byte data is transmitted in the address order.
        ffH = data
        sum = checksum
        F7H = EOX (End Of Exclusive)

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.

Here is some noise I organised into an acceptable format:
        https://soundcloud.com/lfo2vco/a-dark-crystal

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • The forum ‘General MIDI discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.
      There is currently 0 users and 76 guests online
      No users are currently active
      Forum Statistics
      Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
      Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
      Ctrlr