New to Ctrlr – Questions re: Ableton

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr New to Ctrlr – Questions re: Ableton

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Muve
    Participant
      • Topics: 4
      • Replies: 9
      • Total: 13

Hi, I’m new to this, and gradually starting to get my head round some aspects of CTRLR, but have a few questions.

Firstly, am I right in thinking there is no audio handling in the standalone CTRLR? Or have I just missed the Soundcard options?

Next I’ve been using CTRLR in Ableton 8, and I’ve looked through several posts on the subject as it appears to be quite tricky to use. My understanding so far is that you need to:

– Remove the Midi device/port used in Ableton’s ‘Preferences > MIDI Sync’ as well as turn off the Track, Sync and Remote for the device/port.
      – Add a CTRLR VST to a MIDI channel as well as an External Audio Effect to get the audio.
      – To get MIDI information in Ableton to reach the synth, I’ve selected ‘MIDI > MIDI Thru > Plugin Host > Output Device’ which works.
      – So now I’ve got to the stage where I can use MIDI information and the panel to control my synth in Ableton, which is great. The only thing is that I can’t record MIDI notes with the same keyboard in Ableton. Is there a setting I am missing?

One other thing is that the CTRLR VST window seems to always stay on top when used in Ableton, even if Ableton is minimized or you switch to a different program/window. Is this a setting or a bug?

Many thanks
      Muve

atom
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 159
        • Replies: 2945
        • Total: 3104
        • ★★★★★

Soundcard settings are not needed, Ctrlr uses MIDI only.

In ableton the window is always on top, otherwise you can’t get keyboard events, this is a workaround.

Muve
        Participant

Thanks for the reply and info. I think it could be useful to be able to handle audio in standalone mode, in a similar way to NI’s standalone instruments. On my system I have to monitor directly from the synth headphone output if using CTRLR standalone, so would prefer to be able to monitor via my interface.

Any idea if there is a setting that will allow the MIDI notes from the synth to reach Ableton when using as a plugin?

quadraspleen
          Participant
            • Topics: 6
            • Replies: 33
            • Total: 39

Hi Muve,

If your synth is set up and working (through a MIDI interface) in Ableton, and you can record MIDI (forget about ctrlr for now) then your synth is ok. When in standalone mode, all ctrlr does is send and receive sysex, which controls the parameters of your synth. It has nothing whatsoever to do with any audio.

If you are using ctrlr as a VST plugin from within Ableton, and you are unable to record MIDI notes by playing your synth, this has nthiong to do with ctrlr.

Go into your MIDI prefs in Ableton and enable your MIDI interface as an input. If it is a multi, enable all of them
            Enable the same as outputs.
            Make sure you can play your synth and record MIDI notes. If you can, then open ctrlr, choose the correct MIDI port and channel from within ctrlr’s MIDI prefs and away you go.

But ctrlr doesn’t do audio in any way, MIDI only, and best used as a VST from within a compatible host (Ableton; Logic; DP etc)

I’m not sure if this is even what you are needing, but if I can be of any help just shout

jake

atom
            Keymaster
              • Topics: 159
              • Replies: 2945
              • Total: 3104
              • ★★★★★

Just to be clear, i won’t add Audio capabilities to Ctrlr because it’s not needed. You can use any other program to listen on your audio input on your audio interface, i won’t add code for Audio processing cause it will cause bugs.

Muve
              Participant

When in standalone mode, all ctrlr does is send and receive sysex, which controls the parameters of your synth. It has nothing whatsoever to do with any audio.

Thanks, I recognise this, that is why I asked for it as a feature which I would find very useful.

i won’t add code for Audio processing cause it will cause bugs.

Then that is fair enough.

Go into your MIDI prefs in Ableton and enable your MIDI interface as an input. If it is a multi, enable all of them
                Enable the same as outputs.Make sure you can play your synth and record MIDI notes. If you can, then open ctrlr, choose the correct MIDI port and channel from within ctrlr’s MIDI prefs and away you go.

Unfortunately not. If you have a look at previous posts on CTRLR in Ableton, you will see that to get CTRLR to work properly as a plugin within Ableton (ie take control of the MIDI), it is recommended to turn OFF the relevant MIDI interface ports in Ableton preferences. If I leave them ON, then yes I can use the keyboard to record MIDI into Ableton, but CTRLR won’t be able to control it.

Anyone with experience of this know if its possible to both use CTRLR as a plugin in Ableton, AND use the same keyboard to record MIDI (without changing prefs every time)?

dasfaker
                Keymaster
                  • Topics: 80
                  • Replies: 793
                  • Total: 873
                  • ★★★

Unfortunately not. If you have a look at previous posts on CTRLR in Ableton, you will see that to get CTRLR to work properly as a plugin within Ableton (ie take control of the MIDI), it is recommended to turn OFF the relevant MIDI interface ports in Ableton preferences. If I leave them ON, then yes I can use the keyboard to record MIDI into Ableton, but CTRLR won’t be able to control it.

You wrote it in your first post.

– To get MIDI information in Ableton to reach the synth, I’ve selected ‘MIDI > MIDI Thru > Plugin Host > Output Device’ which works.

Muve
                  Participant

You wrote it in your first post.

No, that works to transmit MIDI from Ableton to the synth. I want to also be able to transmit MIDI from the synth to Ableton.

I assume it isn’t possible then. I think a separate MIDI keyboard is needed.

dasfaker
                    Keymaster
                      • Topics: 80
                      • Replies: 793
                      • Total: 873
                      • ★★★

Ah sorry, I misunderstood you post.

In this case you could use Midi-Ox to route your keyboard midi out to some virtual midi port and use this virtual port inside Ableton.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                    There is currently 0 users and 98 guests online
                    No users are currently active
                    Forum Statistics
                    Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                    Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                    Ctrlr