Novation Super Bass Station

Home Forums General Panels, Components, Macros Novation Super Bass Station

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    SBS
    Participant
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 2
      • Total: 3
      • β˜…

Hi there !

sometime ago, a panel for the Novation Super Bass Station has been created.
      (see here: http://flavoursoflime.blogspot.de/2010/08/more-ctrlrs.html)

But the download link there (to this site here) is not valid anymore.
      (and the panel is not on the “deprecated” page)

Does anyone know where the panel download has been moved to ?

Or has someone downloaded it and can share it once again?

Thanks !

• This topic was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by SBS.
      Funkstar De Luxe
      Participant
        • Topics: 0
        • Total: 2
        • β˜…

I’m in the same boat, looking for the Super Bass Station and Drum Station

SBS
        Participant
          • Topics: 1
          • Total: 3
          • β˜…

#refresher#
          To get this panel is still considered quite appreciated…. πŸ˜‰
          Can’t believe, nobody has some old backup copy of this storage here ?? :((

How could it ever disappear from the archive page..?
          Maybe just a missing link …?

Any Novation Super Bass Station Owner here with other solutions ?

violet.red
          Participant
            • Replies: 5
            • Total: 5
            • β˜…

I own a bs rack (not super bs), and the programming of it is tricky, mostly because half of its params (everything in OSC and LFO sections) may be referenced only via Sysex, and it seems, that you can’t address a particular control like in rolands or kawais. You always have to send the program snapshot via sysex, otherwise all values not included will be automatically dropped to zero. At least, that’s how it is done in MidiQuest. Each value must be split between two bytes (for reasons unclear to me, MidiQuest values range from 00 03 to 0F 0C).

I’m new to Ctrlr, but it seems, that to implement this behavior one should create the whole layout of Sysex controls and then process them with a single script chaining their values into a single Sysex command (for every control change). So I’m trying to dig into ctrlr LUA api now (no success).

human fly
            Participant
              • Topics: 124
              • Replies: 1070
              • Total: 1194
              • β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

have not checked the BassStation Rack format, but you should
              be able to do MSB/LSB using the regular sysex entry box.
              if you’re on PC, try running the BSRack’s output to MidiOx,
              so see what’s being sent out – if anything? maybe it doesn’t
              send sysex either from those controls.

maybe post the sysex data sheet here, if you have it.

violet.red
              Participant
                • β˜…

Tldr:

It seems that there’s no official sysex specs for BS Rack and its controls don’t send sysex.

However, as I’ve said, I’ve installed MidiQuest demo and intercepted messages it sends to BS Rack, and it always send the full set of values like this (here I’ve init a new program and set portamento to the maximum):

ROW | DATA
                00 F0 00 20 29 01 03 22 0F 0C 00 03 00 03 00 03 00 | ) ” |
                10 03 00 03 00 03 00 03 00 03 00 03 00 00 00 03 00 | |
                20 03 00 03 00 03 00 03 00 03 00 03 00 03 00 03 00 | |
                30 03 00 03 00 03 00 03 00 03 00 03 00 00 00 00 00 | |
                40 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 F7

Where “00 20 29” obviously stands for “Novation” ID, “03” is (my guess) “BS Rack” identifier, and “22” is.. well, I thought it might be some memory offset, but had no success in modifying it. All other data is either two-byte sequence of params in 2-nibble major first format, or one byte params (OSC, LFO shape, Filter mode etc) placed in a certain order.

Problem:

So the biggest problem I see here is to somehow gather all software control values when anything is being changed and combine them into a single sysex message. Is it possible in ctrlr?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by violet.red.
                Possemo
                Participant
                  • Topics: 14
                  • Replies: 638
                  • Total: 652
                  • β˜…β˜…β˜…

yes this is possible with Ctrlr but you will need to program it with Lua scripts. The Matrix-1000 panel (in the demo-folder of Ctrlr) does this – the Matrix-1000 uses 4-bit nibbles too. If you have basic coding skills you will see how it is done and will be able to adapt the methods for your device

violet.red
                  Participant
                    • β˜…

Ok. Thanks for the tip!

violet.red
                    Participant
                      • β˜…

Behold! A new BS Rack panel.

Still there’s a lot of work to do. I’ve tested it with my BS Rack and the latest Ctrlr (5.3.something) on Mac, and I will appreciate if anyone test it on windows.

I doubt it will work with Super BS or BS Keyboard because they have different sets of params and (probably) different device IDs.

Features:
                      – Many parameters that don’t have CC can be controlled remotely via sysex, including deep settings like modwheel/aftertouch ranges etc.
                      – 8 bit value resolution (0-255)
                      – Pitch-wheel hack allowing to pitch up to 8 octaves (pew-pew – Blaster Station says!)
                      – Default values for all controls (on doubleclick)

To-Do / bugs:
                      – No saves, no loads, actually you can save positions of the switches in Ctrlr
                      – No controls for master tune, midi channel and autoglide trigger (haven’t found right bytes for them yet)
                      – No CC mappings
                      – All parameter names in DAW are shown as “undefined_” and I don’t really know how to fix it
                      – No rate limit on switches, i.e. every time you tweak something, it sends a message to BS (may become laggy when used with automation)
                      – Midi-to-LFO sync needs music measures instead of raw values I guess
                      – Some modulators (like ENV/LFO mod depth) affecting others in negative/positive way are not shown correctly (i.e. 127 for zero, 0- most negative, 255- most positive modulation effect)

Also I found settings for breath controller but skipped them because I havent ever met a single person who actually used one, so…

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by violet.red.
                      Attachments:
                      You must be logged in to view attached files.
                      Possemo
                      Participant
                        • Topics: 14
                        • Replies: 638
                        • Total: 652
                        • β˜…β˜…β˜…

– All parameter names in DAW are shown as β€œundefined_” and I don’t really know how to fix it

– Some modulators (like ENV/LFO mod depth) affecting others in negative/positive way are not shown correctly (i.e. 127 for zero, 0- most negative, 255- most positive modulation effect)

DAW Automation: the VST Indexes of your sliders are way off (e.g. Filter Cutoff has index 155). Ctrlr can only assign 64 parameters, so set your sliders vst indexes from 0 to 63 (or 1 to 64 I don’t remember well).

Postitive/Negative display: you can do that with an uiFixedSlider instead of uiSlider. You can read about uiFixedSlider here in the forum.

Btw: the panel looks nice!

violet.red
                        Participant
                          • β˜…

Thanks. Never’d have thought of that! I’ll try this as soon as I finish save/load feature. Preset loading will be tricky, because you need to trigger BS (by hand) to send program dump. But I’ve tested it and it works. Better than nothing, I guess.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • The forum ‘Panels, Components, Macros’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                        There is currently 0 users and 94 guests online
                        No users are currently active
                        Forum Statistics
                        Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                        Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                        Ctrlr