SOLVED: Panel in developement can’t be opened any more

Home Forums General Programming SOLVED: Panel in developement can’t be opened any more

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    EnzoF04
    Participant
      • Topics: 17
      • Replies: 102
      • Total: 119
      • ★★

Dear CTRLR developers. I’m well on my way to success in creating a two way communicating panel with a Six-trak. Today I’ve encountered that CTRLR crashes regularly. But after the lasts crash, my panel does not open any more. When I try to open it from the file-menu it won’t open either.

I’m on maOS Mojave, using Echo AudioFire 8. The ‘bricked’ panel is in the attachment. Thanks in advance for helping.

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by EnzoF04.
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      goodweather
      Participant
        • Topics: 45
        • Replies: 550
        • Total: 595
        • ★★★

I followed your discussions in other topics 😉
        I tried opening it in 5.3.201 on PC but indeed, it doesn’t open at all.
        I’ll have a look inside it.
        Just to be sure: only use 5.3.198 on MacOS.

Question1: do you remember what you changed the last time you used it?
        Question2: do you have your last working version?

human fly
        Participant
          • Topics: 124
          • Replies: 1070
          • Total: 1194
          • ★★★★

pretty sure you can get it back if you delete all your roaming folder files – maybe back these up somewhere first. this does mean that recall of other projects you’ve worked on, those will need to re-find graphics files or other resources – as far as i recall. now, the roaming folder subfolders are not always easy to identify, so it’s all or nothing, i fear, there – others please chip in if you have fresher memory of doing this.
          if you back up first, you can just put it all back if you must.
          hope this works for ya.

crashes too, can usually be tracked down to something you’ve done with LUA. make sure you know what file you were working on and want to retrieve, also.

> this is why i avoided versioning, and saved to my own naming convention each time, and treat what Ctrlr opens with as a ghost/temporary file, until i’ve hard-saved it with my typed name and version number.

btw, am thinking of re-doing mfb synth liteII panel and a panel for the mfb polylite. which might be similar in a way to sixtrak, if that can do a poly mode, or 6x mono mode. things like defining a global midi channel, and the individual channels. have not really attacked it yet, just preliminaries.

human fly
          Participant
            • ★★★★

i have opened it successfully here, v5.3.201, PC.

goodweather
            Participant
              • ★★★

This is not linked to temp folders as it doesn’t open for me either and I just loaded it here from the site now.
              Temp folders are easy to find (maybe explanations in another thread).
              Versioning works fine as well. Never had any issue.

Issue is coming from Lua. Give me 5min and i’ll find the culprit

human fly
              Participant
                • ★★★★

oh yes, open it with notepad 😉
                (i’m a bit rusty these days)

goodweather
                Participant
                  • ★★★

Issue wass coming from your Lua method rtrVCOEnvAtck
                  I saw you have the same rtrGlideRate as in the rtrGlideRate method.

<luaMethod luaMethodName="rtrGlideRate" luaMethodCode="rtrGlideRate= function(--[[ CtrlrModulator --]] mod, --[[ number --]] value, --[[ number --]] source)&#10;--&#9;realtime rotary for Noise Mixer parameter&#13;&#10;&#13;&#10;&#9;local modName = panel:getModulatorByName(&quot;modGlideRate&quot;)&#13;&#10;&#9;local modVal = modName:getModulatorValue()&#13;&#10;&#9;local modValShifted = bit.lshift(tonumber(modVal),3)&#13;&#10;&#13;&#10;&#9;local modMsg= CtrlrMidiMessage({0xb5, 0x04, modValShifted})&#13;&#10;&#9;panel:sendMidiMessageNow(modMsg)&#13;&#10;end"
                                     luaMethodLinkedProperty="" luaMethodSource="0" uuid="75b829140b17405e834cb8ab9a2fb410"
                                     luaMethodValid="1"/>
                          <luaMethod luaMethodName="rtrVcoEnvAtck" luaMethodCode="rtrGlideRate= function(--[[ CtrlrModulator --]] mod, --[[ number --]] value, --[[ number --]] source)&#10;--&#9;realtime rotary for vco envelope attack parameter&#13;&#10;&#13;&#10;&#9;local modName = panel:getModulatorByName(&quot;modVcoEnvAtck&quot;)&#13;&#10;&#9;local modVal = modName:getModulatorValue()&#13;&#10;&#9;local modValShifted = bit.lshift(tonumber(modVal),3)&#13;&#10;&#13;&#10;&#9;local modMsg= CtrlrMidiMessage({0xb5, 0x08, modValShifted})&#13;&#10;&#9;panel:sendMidiMessageNow(modMsg)&#13;&#10;end"
                                     luaMethodLinkedProperty="" luaMethodSource="0" uuid="cf49e2ce78454dacb543f903dfb55d20"
                                     luaMethodValid="1"/>

I have fixed it in the panel I send you back here.
                  Continue the good work!

Attachments:
                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                  EnzoF04
                  Participant
                    • ★★

Both of you are a hero! I copy code and change stuff to match naming. I know I have to get more efficient on coding functions with multiple input variables. So it gets more modular. That’s a next step. I’ve opened it again too!Thanks for both of your info and efforts to get it to life again, Goodweather and Human Fly. I’ve come to realize again and again what a cool (small) community the Ctrlr community is.

EnzoF04
                    Participant
                      • ★★

I saw you have the same rtrGlideRate as in the rtrGlideRate method.

And one can open the panel in a coding app like BBEdit and change it there, save it as a different file with same .panel extension?

Still really glad that you’ve fixed it! 🙂 🙂 🙂

EnzoF04
                      Participant
                        • ★★

Question1: do you remember what you changed the last time you used it?

Yes, you figured it out nicely, copying and pasting function, doubling a function name.

Question2: do you have your last working version?

I only save over a previously saved file, have to change that workflow!

A question: is it possible to damage the midi input on a synthesizer when over loading the synth input with data? My Six-trak isn’t responding to any incoming midi any more after the crash. Ctrlr gave me some midi hw error. I didn’t change setup or anything. Really strange.

And another strange thing: When I press a key on the synth, Ctrlr app crashes.

Solved: Had to reset (restart) the Akai ME30p II midi patch bay… (relieved massively) sorry to bother!

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by EnzoF04.
                        • This reply was modified 4 years ago by EnzoF04.
                        goodweather
                        Participant
                          • ★★★

Maybe worth some explanations…
                          You will never damage your synth by sending wrong data.
                          However… you will maybe cause it to hang, you may overwrite some data (hopefully not permanently but it could be possible).
                          Usually, the solution is just to reset everything by doing OFF then ON.
                          You also discovered that by yourself 😉

On the other topic, it is easy to improve and make coding efficient.
                          But learn first to walk before trying to run.
                          I mean, do your first complex panel with many methods so you can isolate potential issues and understand well what is ongoing under the hood.
                          When this is done, try to see similarities and then build one method that will replace many others. Repeat that for all the different kinds of behaviors.
                          In my panels for example, I have one method to treat all On/Off or double values; I have one for all 0..nnn (positive values)…

Have fun!

EnzoF04
                          Participant
                            • ★★

Hi Goodweather,

Thanks for the clarification! My midi patch bay is ‘ill’, don’t like to process a lot of messages in a short period of time. 🙁

Yes, I understand what you mean by making code more efficient. The last week was a really good week for me, Lua and Ctrlr! Got some placebo panel with a function with 2/3 variables and a ‘for… do’ loop running. This is fun and compacting things; preventing copy=pasting and coding same and changing an individual value. I’m testing now and getting small things to be corrected. Hope to release the panel as a final beta this week. Dnaldoog helped me also as did you and Human Fly and others, sharing code and work around in the forum.

Next up is a ‘random patch generator’ and I want to explore the stack mode of the Six-track which you can assign a program to one voice, making a six program voice.

It’s real fun!!

EnzoF04
                            Participant
                              • ★★

btw, am thinking of re-doing mfb synth liteII panel and a panel for the mfb polylite. which might be similar in a way to sixtrak, if that can do a poly mode, or 6x mono mode. things like defining a global midi channel, and the individual channels. have not really attacked it yet, just preliminaries.

With the Six-trak such a thing is possible but documentation is really by some Fred Flintstone… (bad documented) You can check my work how I do it. Have to get the Six-trak panel a little more stable..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • The forum ‘Programming’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                            There is currently 0 users and 50 guests online
                            No users are currently active
                            Forum Statistics
                            Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                            Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                            Ctrlr