program manager / snapshots – current status?

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr program manager / snapshots – current status?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    msepsis
    Participant
      • Topics: 219
      • Replies: 732
      • Total: 951
      • ★★★

Forgive me for nailing you with status requests but it’s all for good reason – managing user expectations prior to releasing my next panel updates 🙂

In terms of the completion of this feature, where are things with the program manager? Is it universally usable now? I know all of ctrlr is always a work in progress but I’d just like to know what to expect with both the program manager and snapshots in terms of bugs, things that aren’t done yet, loose ends, things that DO work, etc..

I’ve stayed away from the program manager for some time as it has been evolving over time and clearly not finished.. i didn’t want to waste my time working on something that would change in a week.

Monstrum Media | Music, Sound & Software Design, Chicago / San Francisco listen

msepsis
      Participant
        • ★★★

*bump*

atom
        Keymaster
          • Topics: 159
          • Replies: 2945
          • Total: 3104
          • ★★★★★

Not yet ready, it’s almost there but i need to make it work with the Mopho 100% to say that it works as i wish it would.

msepsis
          Participant
            • ★★★

cool. I saw the midi tool bar in the recent nightly and really am liking what I’m seeing. I have a few questions though on this.

I know it’s not ready yet but I’m tinkering around with what’s there..
            What is the difference between a “snapshot” and a “program”? I’m seeing the bank/program structure in the program manager but I don’t see where snapshots are stored/named etc. Also I’m a little confused with the implementation of the snapshot stuff in the menu.. there are snapshot “Options” under the MIDI menu, then “program snapshot” under the Programs menu. What does “Program Snapshot” mean? Is that “get snapshot”? I get what “send snapshot” is.. pretty self explainatory but what is the idea behind “snapshot on load” and “snapshot on program change”?

When I save a new program I see it saves the panel state to a “program” within a bank in the program manager. The panel I was playing around with this on is the waldorf rocket – which has NO internal ROM or RAM for storing programs. It was apparently released with the intention of also releasing a software editor… (They didn’t so I did 🙂 So my point is there are no sysex messages dealing with sending/requesting program data on this synth. I see the state of the panel saved in a program in the program manager, when I expand the parameters I do see it apparently has captured the correct cc values (everything on this synth is CC) but when I double click the program in the program manager, I get random values sent to the synth. It’s yielded in some very cool randomized programs I’ve created but I was expecting double clicking the program in the program manager would send all cc values recorded to the synth. it seems some other values are somehow getting sent.

I also am curious – for more custom data types with certain synths are we possibly going to be able to add our own custom buttons to the MIDI tool bar? I’d love to be able to put all my store/load waveform/wavetable stuff up into the MIDI tool bar. I think the only requirement would be the ability to load a custom icon, give the button an optional MIDI message type (cc/sysex, controller number, sysex formula) and a Lua hook to fire a script when the custom button is pressed. I suppose anything could be done with the Lua hook but for simple cc messages like “panic” or “reset all controllers” it would be nice to just assign the CC value/sysex formula instead code up a script.

I’m more than happy to help you test functionality of the program manager and snapshots.. frankly I don’t see the point of “snapshots” if you can store and send “programs”.. unless there is some compelling difference between the two. I think the waldorf rocket would be a good test candidate for this functionality since the synth is so dumb simple… let me know how I can help!

atom
            Keymaster
              • ★★★★★

There is a difference

MIDI Snapshot
              – this causes ALL modulators on the panel to send their attached MIDI messages (those that are configured for every modulator)

Snapshot (the camera icon)
              – this saves the panel state as program in the special snapshots folder, it’s just a utility feature that won’t change your existing banks/programs. Snapshots don’t have numbers assigned to them (they do not correspond to any data on the device), they are there as a utility to quickly save panel states, you can later copy/paste snapshots into banks

Program
              – is the state of a Ctrlr Panel, it has an assigned number that corresponds to a location on the device, it is in a bank or in the ROOT of the library, when it is send the values stored in the program are used to construct the sent data not the current state of the panel

atom
              Keymaster
                • ★★★★★

And no it’s not ready (that’s why it’s hidden by default), i’m also working on the MIDI Library itself, so there are some things changing inside and it might cause bad stuff to happen when using it for now.

I might add an option to do custom stuff on the toolbar sure, for now it’s not the priority, i need to make the MIDI Library function well.

msepsis
                Participant
                  • ★★★

just wondering what the status is of the snapshots/program manager stuff… I see it’s still there but have had trouble getting it to do anything – is this an area of ctrlr to still avoid for the time being?

atom
                  Keymaster
                    • ★★★★★

This is still a priority and it’s moving forward (i know that very slow but still). I need to write some docs ASAP all i’ll get lost in the code that is already there, that might be the only thing that will come before the program manager.

jasefos
                    Participant
                      • Topics: 13
                      • Replies: 76
                      • Total: 89

Thanks for the update on Snapshots/ProgramManager Atom and great news to hear you’re generating more doco for CTRLR.

Incidentally, I’m just wandering what is different about some panels which allow taking Snapshots (example: my MPG80 Emulation) while others do not (example: Korg DW8000 panel).

Is it due to the version of CTRLR available at the time when the author of the panel created it? Just curious since I have snapshots working well with my MKS80.

I’m wandering if there is anything which can be done to get more reliable Snapshot recall for the version of the DSI Mopho panel included within the CTRLR installation – it’s a bit random at the moment.

Cheers!

JaseFOS

--> Music: www.soundcloud.com/jasefos
                      --> DAW: OSX10.10.5 with Live 9.6 x64, UA Apollo Quad
                      --> Controllers: Push 2, KeyLab61, Maschine mk2, MCU Pro, 2xMCU-Ext
                      --> Synths: Cyclone Bass Bot TT303, ESQ1, MKS80/MPG80, Matrix 6R, Matrix1000, Mopho, 05RW, DW8000, Virus TI Polar, Voyager Electric Blue, MiniBrute, AN1X, K5000s, FIZMO, ASR10 rack, Kenton ProSolo (controls Sequential Pro-One, Yamaha CS15), Prophecy, EMX1, MonoTribe, SP1200, DX100, KARP Odyssey

msepsis
                      Participant
                        • ★★★

It’s ok that it’s taking some time.. I had to ask at the risk of being a pain/nag.

By all means I can be available to test with the panels I have built. This is a feature many of my panels users are asking about. It will be very exciting to release the functionality when it is finally available but only after thorough testing.

jasefos- i’m sure that what you speak of is exactly what you say – has to do with the version of ctrlr the panel was dev’d in.

To be perfectly honest I haven’t touched any of my panels/editors since 1590 as that version was very very stable, and the exported panels have been tried tested and used by all of my panel’s users with incredibly stable results. if people have issues I haven’t heard them! I’m hoping that when the program manager and snapshots stuff is ready to go there isn’t *TOO* much stuff that is broken from my 1590 version panels 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                      There is currently 0 users and 71 guests online
                      No users are currently active
                      Forum Statistics
                      Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                      Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                      Ctrlr