programming an arp with tricky cc’s

Home Forums General General MIDI discussion programming an arp with tricky cc’s

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    msepsis
    Participant
      • Topics: 219
      • Replies: 732
      • Total: 951
      • ★★★

Ok so I’ve deciphered the sysex messages the microwave xt uses for programing it’s 16 note arpegiator, but I’m still in the brainstorming stage on how to actually program the functionality.
      I want to have 16 buttons in the arp section of my panel so that you can program the arp just as you can on the microwave xt.. except instead of selecting the position and note on/off with a dial, you do it with buttons on the panel.

bear with me…

The first 4 notes deal with … 66 xx f7, the second four notes deal with … 67 xx f7, the third … 68 xx f7, the fourth with … 69 xx f7. (the … is to illustrate that i’m abbreviating, the first 7 spots of the sysex message is the same for these four I’m illustrating.)

The xx is actually interdependent on the other three notes (or triggers) in that group of four, so… contrary to my initial understanding (or hope) on how each of the 16 positions sends either it’s on or off state, the sixteen possibilities: of those four positions are sent as one of 00 – 0F.. the following should help explain

00 = – – – –
      01 = – – – x
      02 = – – x –
      03 = – – x x
      04 = – x – –
      05 = – x – x
      06 = – x x –
      07 = – x x x
      08 = x – – –
      09 = x – – x
      0a = x – x –
      0b = x – x x
      0c = x x – –
      0d = x x – –
      oe = x x x –
      of = x x x x

Those messages are the same for either the first four positions, the second, third or fourth , as it is the preceeding 66, 67, 68 or 69 determines.

I’ve been brainstorming how to go about programming these with single buttons for each position, but each led would have to check the status of the other three in its group to determine which message to send.

ideas?

Monstrum Media | Music, Sound & Software Design, Chicago / San Francisco listen

atom
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 159
        • Replies: 2945
        • Total: 3104
        • ★★★★★

Well it’s a wacky bit mess. I’d wait for the first LUA draft that should be in the next build, and deal with those bits in LUA, it will be much simpler then trying to deal with it using just the GUI options of Ctrlr. Some stuff is too complicated to do in terms of WYSIWYG editors, sometimes you need a few lines of code. Are those 16 possibilities for one none of the sequencer? (theese are actualy bits set in the LSB part of the byte, remember that you read bits right->left 0001 == 1 0010 == 2 0011 == 3 0100 = 4 and so on).

Layzer2
        Participant
          • Topics: 21
          • Replies: 55
          • Total: 76

i run into this scenario with the "voice mute" buttons on controllers that require reading the on/off state of the
          other voices. the issue at hand is that CTRLR doesnt do realtime midi-in reading for modulator values. someday maybe.

atom
          Keymaster
            • ★★★★★

it actualy does now with LUA, i just need to let you know how to get started with it, i need a few days to get some API Docs created.

msepsis
            Participant
              • Topics: 219
              • Replies: 732
              • Total: 951
              • ★★★

Cool.
              I was waiting to program the microwave’s arp step sequencer till this was possible through lua…
              Any quick tips to help get me started with the current API?

Monstrum Media | Music, Sound & Software Design, Chicago / San Francisco listen

atom
              Keymaster
                • ★★★★★

have a look at the example panels http://ctrlrv4.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ctrlrv4/Doc/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • The forum ‘General MIDI discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.
              There is currently 0 users and 111 guests online
              No users are currently active
              Forum Statistics
              Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
              Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
              Ctrlr