Question about Oberheim Matrix1000 Panel

Home Forums General General MIDI discussion Question about Oberheim Matrix1000 Panel

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Esben Andersen
    Participant
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 0
      • Total: 1

Hi,

Newbie question: I just got an Oberheim Matrix1000 and really like the feel of the ctrlr interface. However, I can’t find any way for ctlrlr to receive midi/sysex from the synth. This means that I can send every single parameter change to the synth but can’t see where a parameter is actually at before I start changing it. Is there any way for ctrlr to receive the parameters from Matrix1000 when the patch is changed? I hope I’ve overlooked something cause it would be absolutely amazing! 🙂

All the best,

-Esben

lfo2vco
      Participant
        • Topics: 26
        • Replies: 162
        • Total: 188
        • ★★

Hey,

I’ve just picked up a Matrix 1000 too, just waiting for it to be delivered. I’ll give it a quick service, swap the transformer and fuse over to 250v and then start exploring the Matrix 1000 panel.

Good times….

M.

Here is some noise I organised into an acceptable format:
        https://soundcloud.com/lfo2vco/a-dark-crystal

lfo2vco
        Participant
          • ★★

Hey,

My Matrix is up and running and I have to report that the panel works brilliantly. The Matrix has OS 1.1.1 at present but is due to be upgraded to the bug free OS 1.1.3 as soon as a new chip arrives.

My only complaint so far is that the processor on the Matrix is treacle slow, it can sometimes struggle with a stream of Sysex messages coming down from a modulator sweep. But that is down to the Obie.

A massive thanks to all those involved in the creation of this panel. Cheers.

M.

clancy
          Participant
            • Topics: 0
            • Replies: 22
            • Total: 22

Hi,

Congratultions on your new synth.
            Are you using the ‘beta04’ panel?
            If yes, is it running on a current CTRLR build?
            I was to afraid to make an update after finishing that version.

C.

lfo2vco
            Participant
              • ★★

Hi Clancy,

Thanks and no, I am running version 5.1.2 at present. Basically because this the version I used on my last panel and I am familiar with it.

Again nice work there,
              M.

lfo2vco
              Participant
                • ★★

Hello,

I’m back and I have been fiddling with this panel so it fits better in my workflow. The changes may be of use to some of you so I though I would share the amended version.

The changes are as follows:
                1. Addition of a pop-up menu to navigate the Banks and Patches.
                2. Removal of the Bank and Patch buttons to facilitate the above.
                3. ROM patches are named in the pop-up menu to aid recognition*
                4. Addition of an ENTER button to store the Edit Buffer to the Matrix RAM.
                5. Addition of a COPY button to move patches from one location to another.
                6. Addition of a numeric LCD style Bank and Patch indicator screen.
                7. Moving panel elements around to make above additions fit nicely.
                8. Made the panel slighlty larger.

* Names taken from http://www.retrosound.de/Matrix-1000%20patchbook.pdf

I noticed there is some really elegant Lua methods in there, mine are simple and blunt but do the job. Hope this is of use.

Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.

clancy
                Participant
                  • Replies: 22
                  • Total: 22

Hi lfo,
                  nice work! It is exciting to see the panel with new features and look.
                  The renamed labels are more clear, though lever 2&3 (modsource 19 & 20) can be assigned to any CC.
                  I also spend some time into the panel, only on graphic without colours yet. I attach a snapshot. If you like it we can put it together.

C.

Attachments:
                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                  lfo2vco
                  Participant
                    • ★★

Hi Clancy,

The screen grab looks really good, very nice work.

Yes, I made the changes to labels before realising that the levers could be assigned to any CC. I need to go back and revert those changes.

Feel free to take any elements from my version that you feel are of use and run with them. It’s great to be in a collaboration : )

hobo
                    Participant
                      • Replies: 2
                      • Total: 2

Hi everyone, I only just discovered ctrlr and this matrix-1000 panel you guys have for it. I really love it so far, but I’ve got a question, is it possible to read from the matrix the parameter positions and load those into ctrlr? And going the other way, can I open up a panel configuration and flash those positions into the matrix? I’m using beta5.

thanks in advance!

lfo2vco
                      Participant
                        • ★★

Hi Hobo,

Well; when you make a Bank / Patch change from the Ctrlr Matrix panel it should send a message to your Matrix hardware requesting a Edit Buffer Dump, this message is then configured by the Ctrlr panel to the correct parameter positions for the patch you are hearing.

If this is not working check your Ctrlr MIDI settings and use the Ctrlr MIDI monitor to see if data is being sent and received. Also check your MIDI interface and computer settings if problems persist.

It is possible to add a function to save the Matrix parameters as a sysex file to computer, this could then be loaded in a manner that will flash those parameters back to the Matrix hardware. However this requires some scripting.

hobo
                        Participant

I got it! Thanks.

Had to do some configuring in ctrlr and finally set MIDI from in Live.

Appreciate your taking the time.. and great work on the panel. Everybody!

ugello
                          Participant
                            • Replies: 4
                            • Total: 4

nice work for the panel!

i got a couple of red “invalid resource” just above the patch number..
                            testing it on a matrix6, it works but cannot get panel update on patch change.

lfo2vco
                            Participant
                              • ★★

nice work for the panel!

i got a couple of red “invalid resource” just above the patch number..
                              testing it on a matrix6, it works but cannot get panel update on patch change.

That’s odd, maybe the M-1K and the Matrix-6 send different Sysex. I have to admit I thought they were compatible.

Using the Ctrlr MIDI monitor (under Window) can you copy and paste the message sent by your Matrix-6 when you change patches on the panel. Save it into a plain text file and attach it to your reply. Maybe I can see if there are some obvious differences in the headers.

ugello
                              Participant

of course they will, panel will expect the right bit from the M6, you could add a synth selector m1k/m6 so the panel could work for both 🙂

ugello
                                Participant

parameters are the same, the sysex string have a different bit only to be changed but it works for most of the parameter with the m6 at present.

jasefos
                                  Participant
                                    • Topics: 13
                                    • Replies: 76
                                    • Total: 89

Thanks for updating this panel LFO2VCO, most appreciated!

I did find that I was experiencing very laggy playback and dropped notes initially with your Beta05 however found the Global MIDI Output Delay parameter in the properties for this Panel were set to 50. I’m assuming this is to account for the limitations of its CPU when receiving dumps/snapshots. I have set this to 0 and latency issue disappeared and have settled on a setting of 5 at the moment.

I can confirm also that the unit is sending back data when I select programs using the Patch Select list (nice work on that by the way).

Incidentally, my Matrix 1000 doesn’t yet have the 1.1.3 OS (mine has 1.1.1 I think).

The issue I’m having is that when I select patches using the Patch Select list, The programs are recalled inconsistently and the Bank/Program number showing on the Matrix 1000 does not match the Bank/Patch number selected in the Patch List. Is this a known problem for 1.1.1 OS or should I just bump up the MIDI Global Output Delay a bit more?

--> Music: www.soundcloud.com/jasefos
                                    --> DAW: OSX10.10.5 with Live 9.6 x64, UA Apollo Quad
                                    --> Controllers: Push 2, KeyLab61, Maschine mk2, MCU Pro, 2xMCU-Ext
                                    --> Synths: Cyclone Bass Bot TT303, ESQ1, MKS80/MPG80, Matrix 6R, Matrix1000, Mopho, 05RW, DW8000, Virus TI Polar, Voyager Electric Blue, MiniBrute, AN1X, K5000s, FIZMO, ASR10 rack, Kenton ProSolo (controls Sequential Pro-One, Yamaha CS15), Prophecy, EMX1, MonoTribe, SP1200, DX100, KARP Odyssey

lfo2vco
                                    Participant
                                      • ★★

Thanks for the feedback Jasefos, this panel has been a group effort so I am sure everyone involved will be pleased it is assisting another M1K user.

I have to say that if you can upgrade you OS to 1.1.3 it really does help make the Matrix far more responsive. That said the processor is very slow in this synth and that is a limitation you have to accept. But sound wise it is one hell of a synth.

BTW You can check the OS when you first switch it on, the display will very briefly flash up three numbers.

jasefos
                                      Participant
                                        • Topics: 13
                                        • Replies: 76
                                        • Total: 89

Thanks for replying LFO2VCO … Yeah I have an ongoing love affair with my Matrix 1000 and forgive its CPU shortcomings – some of the best money I ever spent in my rig! Any tips for a source of pre-blown 1.13 ROMS?

Incidentally, how critical is the MIDI Global Output Delay parameter (you had set to 50 in this panel originally) to reliable comms with this unit? I ask because with it set to 50 there was a massive latency when I played notes from my controller keyboard and it’s solved since reducing that value down to something much lower (I tried 0, then 5 and have settled on 10).

Any idea why the Bank/Program numbers on the Matrix 1000 display do not update properly when I change patches using the Program Select function on this Panel?

Thank you for further development on this Panel since Atom doesn’t own a Matrix 1000 understandably could only take the project so far.

Looking forward to eventually rocking the new OS1.1.3 for the Matrix 1000!

Cheers

J

--> Music: www.soundcloud.com/jasefos
                                        --> DAW: OSX10.10.5 with Live 9.6 x64, UA Apollo Quad
                                        --> Controllers: Push 2, KeyLab61, Maschine mk2, MCU Pro, 2xMCU-Ext
                                        --> Synths: Cyclone Bass Bot TT303, ESQ1, MKS80/MPG80, Matrix 6R, Matrix1000, Mopho, 05RW, DW8000, Virus TI Polar, Voyager Electric Blue, MiniBrute, AN1X, K5000s, FIZMO, ASR10 rack, Kenton ProSolo (controls Sequential Pro-One, Yamaha CS15), Prophecy, EMX1, MonoTribe, SP1200, DX100, KARP Odyssey

lfo2vco
                                        Participant
                                          • ★★

Hi, to be honest I have never adjusted the MIDI Global Output Delay, it was on a setting the previous had made. Maybe I should have a fiddle with it.

I have been using the MIDI channel 1 for send and receive perhaps your should check your MIDI channel settings. This might effect with Patch and bank selection.

I bought my OS upgrade from a US eBays seller called ‘scientific-community’, http://www.ebay.com/usr/scientific-community?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2754
                                          I found them to be honest and reliable.

miffebarbez
                                          Participant

Hi, Anyone still working on this panel?
                                            I’ve tried the “Oberheim-Matrix-1000-Beta05” version but have a few problems:
                                            – no mod matrix sources
                                            – and two “invalid source” messages at the patch selection part….

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 36 total)
                                          • The forum ‘General MIDI discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                                          There is currently 0 users and 67 guests online
                                          No users are currently active
                                          Forum Statistics
                                          Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                                          Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                                          Ctrlr