Roland D-110 panel

Home Forums General Panels, Components, Macros Roland D-110 panel

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 202 total)
  • Author
    badgerigar
    Participant
      • Topics: 0
      • Replies: 1
      • Total: 1

I’m away from D110 at the moment, will try it when I get back again. It should work on 32bit win or 64bit linux too, which sounds great.

human fly
      Participant
        • Topics: 124
        • Replies: 1070
        • Total: 1194
        • ★★★★

cheers 😉 i was hoping for a discussion about how to deal
        with some layout stuff, if you remember the timbre concept,
        and programming from the panel. i want to remove the frustrating
        aspect of programming the thing.
        if you look at the panel, this should be fairly clear without
        the actual device there.

human fly
        Participant
          • ★★★★

so, i’ve got quite a neat little Timbre tab there, but it’s only a few
          parameters with a lot of empty space, and i’ve explored the idea of
          having something else there – because a Timbre number has to be selected
          anyway, and it could be a good place to select the Part being edited as
          well. – and this would change all the parameters in view below, with the
          rest, to the Part in question.(would have to have something visual with
          that, to let the user know they’ve changed Part)

now, this could also be done on the Patch page, which is going to be like
          a mixer page, where you can set up a multitimbral setup, or splits and
          layers, and assign the outputs, etc.

i suppose you could access the individual parts accessing them from
          both pages, that would not be a problem – and would be more convenient.

hope that’s clear so far. should be if you look at the file i uploaded.

but there is an issue here with saving: although edits remain active,
          for all parts, Tone and Timbre during ‘the lifetime’ of a Patch edit
          ie: until you refresh it by changing the Patch
          *even if you power the machine off and on again* (check this out: all
          edited tones and timbre, and the patch, will have an asterisk next to
          them if they are not in their saved state)

..you can only save one Tone or one Timbre at a time. i don’t know
          yet if this means that you lose the edits on the ones on other parts,
          i haven’t checked this out thoroughly. but i can worry about this later.
          and if it can’t be done, too bad; it is still useful if you are trying
          edits during playback of an arrangement, and inserting sysex events.

human fly
          Participant
            • ★★★★

to recapitulate: saving a Patch requires at least 3 save operations,
            if you’ve done an edit to a Tone: you need to save the Tone, and then
            the Timbre (if you’ve made a new Timbre), and then you need to save
            the Patch.

if you don’t, your Patch won’t be right after you called up another
            Patch and go back again.

phew. just had to lay all that on the table, so we know what we’re
            talking about.

human fly
            Participant
              • ★★★★

I’m away from D110 at the moment, will try it when I get back again. It should work on 32bit win or 64bit linux too, which sounds great.

should work on Linux versions when bpanelz is done.
              need to tidy up this thread because there have been lots of files
              i uploaded to look at. i’m going to remove everything except the
              2 relevant files now, and leave just the last good version of the
              first version of the Tone editor -which should work for 1-way editing –
              and the current version of the more sophisticated(eugh…) rebuild
              i’m working on.

human fly
              Participant
                • ★★★★

another way of looking at Tone layout. from 28 years ago !
                makes more sense really. i had thought of aligning the partials
                vertically. ?start all over again? : – /

Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                human fly
                Participant
                  • ★★★★

and patch:

Attachments:
                  computerchemist
                  Participant
                    • Topics: 2
                    • Replies: 31
                    • Total: 33

That does actually make a lot of sense.

I found the link to the article those pictures originally came from, it’s good background reading for discussion too, as it’s reviewing the operation of the program.
                    http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/steinberg-synthworks-d10-20-110-mt32/57

I have also been looking around for more info on the standalone pg-10 controller, I found the operation manual and service manual, but I don’t know if its a full set of screen prompts. Its a (physical) vertical arrangement of 8 sliders below a more navigable menu system than the D110. All sceeens can be accessed directly from the keypad on the right. They are so expensive when they come up for sale, yet in essence what you have on that screen i think is pretty much like an expanded graphical view of the pg-10.

I have yet to sit down and really go through your panel to date. I will make some time for that this week.

human fly
                    Participant
                      • ★★★★

yeah, i had a PG-10, i sold it. didn’t really get on with it,
                      and it lacks a backlight on the display. has 2 midi outs or
                      something, i forget. you have to feed back a midi in for it to
                      update, and i had difficulty configuring that. wasn’t what i
                      wanted anyway.

nice format, and can edit on all parts, but i just wasn’t using it.
                      i now use my Novation RemoteSL templates to edit, and have backlit
                      lcd to display info, much better.

i decided to make the Ctrlr editor because it’s impossible to
                      edit everything with a remote: just not enough pages/presets
                      on the Novation, and it seemed like the D-110 could be cool
                      used like a plugin. (also have a k1r that i like a lot, same
                      deal great cheapie digisynths)

so, yes, probably should’ve started by looking at old atari editors.
                      but it does follow a very similar logic to what i’m aiming for.
                      i was considering this type of vertical layout instead the other
                      day, and i’m still not happy with where i’ve put the LFO controls.
                      -it’s all a bit up in the air at the moment, to be honest !
                      (hence my polling for consultation…)

human fly
                      Participant
                        • ★★★★

right, so, what: shall i rejiggle it all into vertical parallel
                        layout? aaargh.. can do.. man, this is where things get really crazy
                        with the endless possibilities of design and configuration. you
                        could just scrap everything and start over at any point.

i quite like the current look, and making all 4 parameters available
                        in parallel as a concept. don’t really want to do draggable envelopes
                        (as i haven’t figured out yet what dasfaker’s example does, with
                        getting mouse position) and that would be essential to fit it all in.

the LFO params need to be moved back into the Pitch section, as that’s
                        all they do. the Steinberg interpretation is in fact an excellent overview.
                        but it doesn’t really tell you how partials are doubled when the other one
                        is off or at zero, nor that pcms don’t go through filter, and so on.

i’m thinking of moving Part Select to the top bar, which would be more
                        like a PG-10. this still leaves the issue of where the Timbre bank listing
                        would exist – ah, and all sorts of stuff. this isn’t finished yet, by a long
                        shot 😀

computerchemist
                        Participant
                          • Topics: 2
                          • Replies: 31
                          • Total: 33

Ok, stupid question time. What settings MIDI-wise do you have on your unit (controller, MIDI channel). No matter what I do I can’t get a peep out of either of mine. I went back to that old panel with the CRC checksum errors, and the same thing – except I can make “checksum error” on the LCD with that one 🙂 Are the MIDI channel controls that set input/output/controller operative in the code or am I missing something? My next step is to hook ctrlr up to midiOX and have a look at what it’s doing but I thought I’d ask first if it’s something silly I’m doing.

Funnily enough, not only do I have two D-110s I also have a Kawai K1r. And that works beautifully with the ctrlr controller, so there’s definitely not a problem with my keyboard/midi interface/version of ctrlr etc.

Please don’t tell me you have a Korg M3R too or this will get really freaky.

edit: I personally would stick with the direction you’ve got. Once it’s all operational in its current point maybe then is the time to write version 2 with all your learned knowledge to date, but also with code optimisation, librarian, input settings from D110, changes to positions, etc.

human fly
                          Participant
                            • ★★★★

ok, you realise the current build is not operational yet..

the first build (at ‘rev034i’ if i recall) should be addressing
                            MIDIch1 on Part1, with unit number at 17 like the factory
                            default. maybe try to set basic channel to 1?

human fly
                            Participant
                              • ★★★★

>>>

Attachments:
                              human fly
                              Participant
                                • ★★★★

>>>

Attachments:
                                human fly
                                Participant
                                  • ★★★★

infernalConundrum. (woops, i forgot to go to work)
                                  how to deal with patchTone and patchToneGroup:
                                  ie: there are tempTimbre memories, pt1-8, plus rhythm part, which
                                  has 1 rhythm setup (as far as i can work out, this is a global kit,
                                  and is not stored with a patch -but i may be wrong. haven’t been able
                                  to store a rhythm setup with a patch yet.

also, with reverb params, have only been able to edit as a global/system parameter, and not per patch.

nor am i confident about saving Reserve per patch: it seems to respond
                                  only as a system setting.
                                  (could this be an OS bug with this version D-110? have not checked version)

looking at page 117 of the D-110 manual.
                                  the steinberg editor layout is good, got some ideas from that.

khyber
                                  Participant
                                    • Replies: 3
                                    • Total: 3

I’m looking to snag a copy of the Roland D-110 editor but I see most of the box.net links here are dead. Can you post any working versions of this Ctrlr panel?

human fly
                                    Participant
                                      • ★★★★

Roland D-110 rev.034i (exe 64bit Win)

https://app.box.com/s/5jpixv96pmvsflooxsi49w69jl1iv4tr

here’s the first version as a Win64 standalone.
                                      it edits the Tone/Timbre on Part1 with MIDIch1.
                                      (unit# 17/basic channel 1 ie: as per factory default)

remember to set midi device out.

(this was originally put up for testing/checking for
                                      any remaining checksum errors etc. – the workspace size
                                      is a bit large, and it does not have load-up settings.
                                      also, it only sends 1-way, does not update screen settings
                                      from the device)

here it is as a bpanelz:
                                      https://app.box.com/s/2ykcy6l7d089drae7yn78wxtb4aee5bf

human fly
                                      Participant
                                        • ★★★★

you can try this Rhythm Part editor as well – but i recommend
                                        doing a sysex dump backup before you use it, as it will mangle
                                        your drum part settings, which will take some work to put back
                                        as it was 🙂 – it is putting out sysex, so it should work:
                                        D110 Rhythm Edit v.06 standalone (win64):
                                        https://app.box.com/s/xk11oxzuh7c85hv6xddmfbnobo6s75dl

(this one was a quick draft – the notes before #35 are not
                                        assigned, and there are no setup defaults. but it could be
                                        interesting to try out. maybe not very useful until it can
                                        have defaults, and maybe save some ‘kits’ in the editor.)

and here’s a look at what a full 8 part version could look
                                        like. this one is *not* a working version, it is just how
                                        far i got with it:
                                        D110 8part v.70 win64 standalone preview:
                                        https://app.box.com/s/roz8iybvd42xi6zjm7yjtcwt43kmnpvi

nb: these are the intial versions, without any Lua, before
                                        i started doing a complete rebuild.

khyber
                                        Participant
                                          • Replies: 3
                                          • Total: 3

Yessss thank you so much! I just got a D110 and am anxious to play around with it but damn if it isn’t a pain to use from the LCD screen. I’m also experiencing a weird MIDI issue, had my keyboard hooked up to it last night and it was playing notes fine, then just kind of stopped receiving MIDI. Not sure if I tripped something or there’s a setting that I messed about with, but hoping I can use the editor to diagnose as well as rock out

human fly
                                          Participant
                                            • ★★★★

bear in mind that the factory default setup puts Part1
                                            on MidiCh2, with that first Patch. you could always do
                                            a factory reset if it’s messed up.

let me know if you get any checksum errors and where
                                            they are. this version could do some little adjustments
                                            like default startup values, that ‘got broken’ at some
                                            point.

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 202 total)
                                          • The forum ‘Panels, Components, Macros’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                                          There is currently 0 users and 77 guests online
                                          No users are currently active
                                          Forum Statistics
                                          Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                                          Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                                          Ctrlr