Special MIDI Control Change messages

Home Forums General General MIDI discussion Special MIDI Control Change messages

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    SWB
    Participant
      • Topics: 35
      • Replies: 157
      • Total: 192
      • ★★

This is more a specific MIDI question, not so much related to CTRLR or Lua.
      My device (GEM RealPiano Expander) uses special MIDI control changes which mimic the pressing of the various buttons of the device. Each button can be controlled by two messages, a push key message (e.g. ‘B0 75 06’ push VOLUME button) and a release message (e.g. ‘B0 76 06’ release VOLUME button). But I have noticed that sending only the push message to the device does the job and combining the two message in one MIDI message does not alter the behaviour of the button. So what is the use of the release message? Or how do I have to make use of this push/release combo?

• This topic was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by SWB.
      atom
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 159
        • Replies: 2945
        • Total: 3104
        • ★★★★★

It’s about timing and rate. If you keep the button pressed and no release is sent, this means the value is incremented on the device (at some time interval). This lets you control some other devices, by incrementing some value in between press and release. Depending on the rate this might be a lot of changes or just one.

SWB
        Participant
          • ★★

Ah, I get it. So if I want to mimic this behaviour exactly, should I use something like MouseDown and MouseUp commands in Lua, which would increment the value as long as the user keeps the mouse button pressed?

atom
          Keymaster
            • Topics: 159
            • Replies: 2945
            • Total: 3104
            • ★★★★★

yes you can do that, the normal uiButton has this implemented you can check the option “Keeping button ON will produce a continues stream of messages” and then set the rate “Rate at wich the messages will be sent, in milliseconds”

SWB
            Participant
              • ★★

OK, atom. Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • The forum ‘General MIDI discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.
            There is currently 0 users and 64 guests online
            No users are currently active
            Forum Statistics
            Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
            Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
            Ctrlr