This is how to Automate with Ableton, CTRLR, and Tetra!

Home Forums General General MIDI discussion This is how to Automate with Ableton, CTRLR, and Tetra!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Wren
    Participant
      • Topics: 4
      • Replies: 21
      • Total: 25

Monumental! I was having some trouble with automation in Ableton bringing out some issue where it automatically turns on the red "Back To Arrangement Button" on Arrangement View, so edited automation kept stopping. I think I know how to prevent this…by going to Ableton’s Envelope Editor, clicking Region/Loop to Unlinked and making sure the Loop is off. So far, so beautiful. The CTRLR even loads up automatically with the project…that means potentially you wouldn’t even have to push a single thing on the Tetra to play multiple songs on different patches. Just plug it in and turn on, and let Ctrlr and Ableton do the rest…

First the knowns…

Connect your Tetra (Have it on Program Mode and Multimode off)
      Open up Ableton, and open CTRLR VST plugin on one of the tracks.
      On the CTRLR screen click the Devices image at the top, and select DSI Tetra as Midi Out
      Then On the CTRLR screen click on the New image at the top, and select Empty Panel
      Now under the Panel Edit options, select Midi Output Device as DSI Tetra.
      Right click on the CTRLR panel and create UiSlider. Click on the new UiSlider.
      Scroll to the bottom of the edit options. Set Midi Message Type to "Multi", Click on Lego Button and insert predefined NPRN message.
      Now insert your Midi Controller Number (Refer to Tetra Manual for NPRNs) In my case I did Envelope Release which was 29.

Now the Ableton Stuff…

On the Arrangement View, after adding your Ctrlr VST, there should be a device box titled "Ctrlr (Plugin)" at the bottom in Live’s Detail View.
      Click on the Triangle Arrow to Unfold Device Parameters. Now click on the Configure button on the top right of that device box. Configure Button should turn green.
      Now go back to your Ctrlr Panel VST and click on your UiSlider Modulator! And now it can be edited on your Ableton Device Box. You can do this with Multiple Parameters! And you can turn it up and down in Ableton to whatever parameter is set up in Ctrlr. You can even close the program and open it back up again, and it works!

Now this for a bit was my issue…If you right click on the Modulator Parameter and edit an automated timeline, say like the Frequency sweeping up 4 for each bar. It only worked briefly before Ableton’s "Back to Arrangement" button kept turning off the Automation….but I believe I’ve fixed this with what was written above.

Now if DSI could fix combo/multimode midi issues, this thing would be godly.

DSI should buy Atom a Tetra, and whatever money they are giving those hacks at Soundtower to build a VST, should be donated to this project! Hallelujah

nrhyan
      Participant
        • Topics: 5
        • Replies: 45
        • Total: 50
        "Wren":2smp9x2w wrote:
        DSI should buy Atom a Tetra, and whatever money they are giving those hacks at Soundtower to build a VST, should be donated to this project! Hallelujah[/quote:2smp9x2w]

Glory be to god!

Wren
        Participant

I’m still getting the "Back to Arrangement" issue. Attached is an image of what I’m describing. And here is a link that I think kinda describes the situation going on http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? … 49&start=0

I’ve followed the directions from the link by turning off all outputs on the Midi options, even disconnected the Tetra. And it still happens with the Ctrlr VST. That suggests something is happening between Ableton Live and Ctrlr that is causing Midi feedback. If anyone has any effective way to prevent this, that would mean the world and would be brilliant. Sometimes I can get it going all the way through without the "Back to Arrangement" turning on, but that is not often.

nrhyan
          Participant
            • Topics: 5
            • Replies: 45
            • Total: 50

atom, is the v5 vst now stable when in multiple instances?

atom
            Keymaster
              • Topics: 159
              • Replies: 2945
              • Total: 3104
              • ★★★★★

no not yet.

Wren
              Participant

I found a workaround after messing around. I had to map the parameters in Ableton Live like attached. Everything is great, except once in a while the VST will crash ableton.

Also, I saw someone post a bug (id 3286846), which isn’t true for me for Build 375. Just set Ableton to configure, then turn the knob up and down on the VST and it should pop up.

I’m astonished this works so nicely, thanks Atom!

atom
                Keymaster
                  • Topics: 159
                  • Replies: 2945
                  • Total: 3104
                  • ★★★★★

Well i actualy can’t make it work in Ableton Live, parameters don’t get exported you’re a lucky person that has that working, but it’s a bug and i will fix that so that it works for everyone.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • The forum ‘General MIDI discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                There is currently 0 users and 94 guests online
                No users are currently active
                Forum Statistics
                Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                Ctrlr