trying out Ctrlr for first time (with Shruthi-1 panel)

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr trying out Ctrlr for first time (with Shruthi-1 panel)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    mb47
    Participant
      • Topics: 7
      • Replies: 8
      • Total: 15

Hi all,

I’ve just started using CTRLR with the Shruthi-1 panel in Ableton Live 8 (using a an iMac with OS X 10.6.8).
      I hope I can manage to integrate CTRLR in my workflow. I also own few other synths (DW-8000, XD-5, Virtuoso 2000/PlanetEarth) for which I’d like to create a panel, once I’ve learnt a bit more about CTRLR and understood MIDI more deeply…

I am using latest version of the Shruthi-1 panel.
      After changing the property MIDI THRU host->device to Enabled (all others MIDI THRU set to the original values of disabled), I can get it to work under Live: MIDI Notes as well as Envelope change are transmitted to the Shruthi, and the CTRLR parameters are linked to the plug-in parameters in Live (when move one, the other also moves).

However I am still wondering what is correct the way to set it CTRLR with Live.
      Is having MIDI THRU host->device=Enabled ok?
      What should be values of the other properties?
      Can you provide some explanation what those MIDI THRU properties are for: what is their function, or what is the general mechanism?
      How do those relate to the Preferences accessible from the toolbar button?

Second, sometimes when using the configure to link the CTRLR parameters to Live’s plug-in parameter they do not get added.
      I cannot really reproduce the conditions under which it works or not, most of times it doesn’t, but I have no idea why.

Third, when I want to change some properties of a panel’s controller, whenever I select that controller (in Edit mode), it move (jumps) to another location in the panel.
      That’s a bit annoying, as it needs to be moved back, so editing all parameters would be a mess.
      I’ve seen this issue also with the panel for the Virus, so I’d exclude it’s related to the specific panel.

Finally, I do I close a panel which does not have the close button. It seems the only way is to change the toolbar by adding the Close button, and then hitting it.
      I was curious why it’s like that: is it to make panels which can’t be closed when used as VSTs?

Thanks ahead of time of any help/hint/information provided.

Best regards,
      Marco

komonazmuk
      Participant
        • Topics: 0
        • Replies: 1
        • Total: 1

Hi Marco

I have just received my Shruthi-1 polivoks edition and am trying to get it working with ctrlr. this is my 1st attempts but can’t seem to get it talking with the standalone or in ableton. can you help explain the midi thru I noticed in your post.

thanks in advance

mb47
        Participant
          • Topics: 7
          • Replies: 8
          • Total: 15

hi,

I don’t know what those settings in the CTRLR preferences are for.
          Anyway, for example configured like this works for me (in Live on a Mac)
          [attachment=0:2krd68kh]SettingsForShruthi-1.png[/attachment:2krd68kh]
          Note that I changed the MIDI input and output device in the Shruthi-1 panel to select my MIDI interface.

It also seems that not all VST parameters can be exported into Ableton (in the attached image I exported the resonance and few others): only those whose VST index (in the panel) is <64 (at least with the CTRLR version I’m using: see post in this forum). However changing the index of the parameters I wanted to export to values <64 works (just make sure those indexes are unique, or CTRLR will change their values next time you load the panel).

Hope this helps.
          Best,
          Marco

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
        There is currently 0 users and 64 guests online
        No users are currently active
        Forum Statistics
        Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
        Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
        Ctrlr