TX7/MKs-80 issue

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr TX7/MKs-80 issue

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    chris962x
    Participant
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 3
      • Total: 4

Hello All. Trying to get Cntrlr to work for the first time on a few pieces of equip. So far it works on my Korg 707, TG77, and SQ-80 (if a bit slow on these), and works fast on my TX81z, but doesn’t seem to do anything with my Tx7,though I’ve looked for any Midi modes in these I need to switch over. The MKS-80 is definitely getting messages, but so slow and out of sync with the parameters I’m changing that I’m not sure quite what’s going on.

I’m also a little confused, if my DAW is connected to both out and in ports on a unit like the TX, where does my Midi keyboard go in this setup? Thanks for any advice!

• This topic was modified 8 years ago by chris962x.
      • This topic was modified 8 years ago by chris962x.
      Synthetech
      Participant
        • Topics: 13
        • Replies: 70
        • Total: 83

hi chris,

are you trying to use just the standalone instances to control the problematic synths? If not, I would suggest start with those, then move on to using with a DAW.

Do you have some more info for us? Like how you have your MIDI setup, screenshots of your setups, etc?

As for your MIDI IN/OUT use for the TX7.. the easiest thing I would try to do is use a separate USB midi interface for the TX. But I have like six USB’s around in the form of keyboard controllers, couple of USB jacks a knobby controller and a MOU MIDI patchbay..
        If you dont have more than one USB MIDI interface, I would highly recommend you look into investing into another one or two to make your MIDI world much easier to manage 😉

chris962x
        Participant

wow, that was quick, thanks so much! I’m using the standalone version, nothing with DAW. Midi is going from my Mac into a Focusrite 6i6 by USB to the TX7 and MKS-80.

I’m a little unclear what you mean by separate USB interface. Right now I’ve got nothing else going on with the Focusrite other than Midi out/in to the synth in question. But how do you trigger a patch you’re editing to hear it, unless there’s a midi keyboard involved, or a sequence coming from your DAW? A keyboard would be easiest , do you somehow use a thru port?

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by chris962x.
          Synthetech
          Participant

what are you using for a keyboard?

some of my MIDI interfaces can be MIDI OUT and THRU at the same time via the OUT.

Check into the MIDI settings of Ctrlr

have you tried setting up “Controller” with another MIDI device input as your keyboard?

chris962x
            Participant

I only have one midi interface. Right now I have its out connected to TX7 in, and vice versa. The TX7 and my midi keyboard both have in, out, and thru, but there isn’t a second input on either my midi interface or the TX7. Is there a trick I am missing?

Synthetech
              Participant

What I was trying to say earlier.. it sounds like you would benefit by getting an additional MIDI interface like a M Audio Uno USB or some other simple USB interface.. Good one, not one of those no name eBay units.

Then you could pick extra ports to use your keyboard on, etc.

Pretty sure you can get a decent one used on eBay for about $20 USD

Possemo
                Participant
                  • Topics: 14
                  • Replies: 638
                  • Total: 652
                  • ★★★

I second that. If you use MIDI for more than just transmitting notes I recommend to make a “star topology” network instead of daisy chaining. That means: each device its own MIDI-in and MIDI-out connection to the computer interface. But this will not guarantee super smooth reaction of every synth. I don’t know the MKS-80 but it could be that it is normal behavior that it does react sluggish to sysex messages.

Attachments:
                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                  chris962x
                  Participant

Any ideas on getting the TX7 panel working?

pascalc
                    Participant
                      • Topics: 7
                      • Replies: 27
                      • Total: 34

Hi,

I agree with the comment above about connecting your devices in a star topology. You rule out a lot of potential problems this way.

Have you verified the SYSEX INFO AVAIL setting?
                      Have you verified that the TX7 uses the correct MIDI channel for sysex communication (it should be channel 0)
                      Does the synth display any info on the LCD?
                      If nothing else works, have you tried the DX7 panel instead?

If you open the MIDI log in Ctrlr, what does it send for Sysex messages to the TX7?

BR
                      /Pascal

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                    There is currently 0 users and 85 guests online
                    No users are currently active
                    Forum Statistics
                    Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                    Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                    Ctrlr