Changes from 5.3.136 to 5.3.159

Home Forums General News and releases Changes from 5.3.136 to 5.3.159

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    dasfaker
    Keymaster
      • Topics: 80
      • Replies: 793
      • Total: 873
      • ★★★

Hi Atom.

I have a panel that performs a loop requesting several sysex dumps from the synth. In the process there are several timers to send each request message after the previous message is received in the panel, so the panel has time to assign values to modulators. This process is working fine with revision 5.3.122, where it has been developed, and 5.3.136, but it fails with newer revisions.

Now, when I perform the loop, all the precision of the timers is lost, there is like a bottleneck somewhere that makes the time assigned to timers not enough to perform the actions derived of each incoming dump (assigning values to modulators, repaints on a heavy custom l&f panel, and memoryBlocks managing). Where I had 50 ms timers, now I need 250 ms timers in order get the same result (but of course, much slower). There is something that performs worse in the newer revisions, but I have no idea where.

Can you tell me what are the changes between those two consecutive revisions? I can’t identify in the changelog what corresponds to each revision. Knowing what changed I can look more in depth at the possible cause.

Thanks

dasfaker
      Keymaster
        • ★★★

After a closer look and reading the forum, I think I know the reason. As Possemo pointed in this thread, setModulatorValue(val, false, false, false) is sending the message out, the false flag is not working. This is causing a massive output of messages from my panel while the synth is sending data, messing everything.

This flag was working fine with 5.3.122 and 5.3.136 (except with combos, they never worked) and it’s failing since 5.3.159. And it’s not the first time it stops working.

atom
        Keymaster
          • Topics: 159
          • Replies: 2945
          • Total: 3104
          • ★★★★★

I think i know what and why is broken i will try to fix it ASAP and post new builds.

dasfaker
          Keymaster
            • ★★★

Thanks Atom. Any option to fix the Combos as well?

atom
            Keymaster
              • ★★★★★

The combo issue is tricky, i’ll have a look again if I can do something about it,

atom
              Keymaster
                • ★★★★★

I did a build for win/linux could you verify if it helps, i did a small combobox update it might help too

dasfaker
                Keymaster
                  • ★★★

Hi Atom

If you mean 5.3.191, yes I’ve tried, but the issue persists. The false flag is still ignored and the midi message is sent.

With combos, the same with the false flag, and the midi message is sent duplicated.

atom
                  Keymaster
                    • ★★★★★

I did a fix but somehow it got lost and didnt get pushed to github, i posted it and did a rebuild for windows please try it now.

dasfaker
                    Keymaster
                      • ★★★

Thanks Atom.

With 5.3.193 the false flag is now working fine for all mods except combos, they still send the message.

Possemo
                      Participant
                        • Topics: 14
                        • Replies: 638
                        • Total: 652
                        • ★★★

Hi dasfaker,
                        is “panelMidiPauseOut” not an option for you? For me it does the trick.

dasfaker
                        Keymaster
                          • ★★★

There’s a problem with this. Stopping panel midi out inside the DAW also stops any playing note if you are routing midi from the DAW, so it’s not an ideal solution.

atom
                          Keymaster
                            • ★★★★★

I’ve made a new build for windows, please test it and tell me if the combobox stuff works better now

dasfaker
                            Keymaster
                              • ★★★

The false flag is now working fine here, Atom. Thanks!!

There’s another issue with combos. If I replace combo content
                              panel:getModulatorByName(“combo”):getComponent():setPropertyString (“uiComboContent”,”text”), the combo triggers it’s midi message with value 0.
                              Is there a way to change the content and not trigger the modulator?

atom
                              Keymaster
                                • ★★★★★

Something like that should change the native JUCE ComboBox without touching the underlying Ctrlr layer, the 0 in the last setText method is a dontSendNotification that i forgot to map to Lua and i’ll do soon

c = panel:getComboComponent("modulator-1")

if c ~= nil then
                                combo = c:getOwnedComboBox()
                                end
                                combo:setText(string.format("Item %d", value), 0)

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by atom.
                                dasfaker
                                Keymaster
                                  • ★★★

I’ll wait for the fix then. Thanks.

atom
                                  Keymaster
                                    • ★★★★★

No fixes needed the 0 value is ok the fill allow “NotificationType.dontSendNotification” to be typed in place of 0, thats all, 0 is safe anyway

dasfaker
                                    Keymaster
                                      • ★★★

Ahh, I misunderstood your words. I’ll give it a try.

dasfaker
                                      Keymaster
                                        • ★★★

I’ve been trying your suggestion, but the behavior is different. This change the text that is visible (selected) in the combo, but if I expand the combo, the list of items is unchanged.

atom
                                        Keymaster
                                          • ★★★★★

Now i misunderstood, you wan’t to change the combo’s list of items it holds not the currently displayed text, am i right ?

dasfaker
                                          Keymaster
                                            • ★★★

Yes, I want to change the combo list of items.

combo:setText seems to change the text displayed, but not the list of items.

Using this change the list of items, but trigger the modulator midi message
                                            panel:getModulatorByName(“combo”):getComponent():setPropertyString (“uiComboContent”,”text”)

I have two combos, one for selecting the bank of presets and another one to select a preset of the selected bank. If I change the banks combo, this updates the list of presets combo. The problem is that changing the list of presets combo with the code above, the presets combo triggers it’s midi message with value 0, that is, there is an unwanted program change message send to the synth before I select an item from the presets combo.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
                                          • The forum ‘News and releases’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                                          There is currently 0 users and 108 guests online
                                          No users are currently active
                                          Forum Statistics
                                          Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                                          Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                                          Ctrlr