Kurzweil K2500R panel

Home Forums General Panels, Components, Macros Kurzweil K2500R panel

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    SWB
    Participant
      • Topics: 35
      • Replies: 157
      • Total: 192
      • ★★

I started working on a panel for the K2500R. Based on the sysex information provided by the reference manual I “think” 😉 I can end up with a panel that doubles/imitates the front panel (and all of its buttons). There is even a chance one can do some editing. But to make things easier and the possibility of ending up in the end with a good working editor/librarian for the K2500R I need all the sysex information I can get. I already have working copies of Unisyn v2 (on my PPC) and a demo version of Midi Quest Pro. That software gives me some more insight in the sysex behaviour of the K2500R, but it will take me weeks or even months to analyse all the sysex data going to and coming from the K2500 using this software. So if maybe someone on this forum can give me more information especially about the data structure of a patch dump (the location and value of all the parameters in the hex dump) that would be of enormous help. But as pointed out I can use every bit of extra information about the sysex. (I did ask Kurzweil for help, but they weren’t helpful at all. Just referred to the manual.) Thanks in advance!

• This topic was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by SWB.
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by SWB.
      jam457
      Participant
        • Topics: 0
        • Replies: 1
        • Total: 1

hey I just joined the forum and learned about ctrlr any luck with the 2500 panel? I am really interested in one to…Would love to help i can just need to do some catching up!

Puppeteer
        Participant
          • Topics: 16
          • Replies: 185
          • Total: 201
          • ★★

The patch data isn’t published. We have some of it at Mastering VAST. If you are actively working on this project PM me and I’ll look at letting you into our software development forum where we have a lot of documentation.

There is some great software already that functions as a front panel editor for the K series synths made by tangent cats. I’m trying to get hold of a copy for hosting at the Mastering VAST forums.

I’m working on a PC3/Forte panel at the moment, and have most of the data dump format reverse engineered, but the patch format is different to the K-series.

One thing to be aware of is that the sysex dump is a bit stream, so it will need to be converted to 8 bit bytes from 7 bit sysex bytes to be useful. This only applies to the data segment of the dumps. The headers are all encoded in useful sysex bytes.

The Puppeteer
          http://godlike.com.au

Puppeteer
          Participant
            • Topics: 16
            • Replies: 185
            • Total: 201
            • ★★

Just one more thing. You can build an effective librarian, without editing based on the SYSEX spec that is available in the manual. All of the dumps are outlined for this, and you can just save the patch dumps for management. You can read the names of the objects directly from the SYSEX dump headers.

I built modules for Studio Connections that did this effectively, though it was for session sync in a DAW, rather than as a full blown librarian.

The Studio Connections GTRC modules are available from my website at http://godlike.com.au and if you open them in the GTRC editor, all of the dump requests are there, but they are “mostly” the same as the manual.

There are a few errors in the manuals, but they are minor.

The Puppeteer
            http://godlike.com.au

Dewdman42
            Participant
              • Topics: 2
              • Replies: 2
              • Total: 4

Can the needed sysex codes be gotten from midiquest 11 somehow? I don’t own midiquest, but I was under the impression that pretty much all of the supported instruments can be edited, which must mean the actual sysex codes being used is exposed. yes/no?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • The forum ‘Panels, Components, Macros’ is closed to new topics and replies.
            There is currently 0 users and 48 guests online
            No users are currently active
            Forum Statistics
            Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
            Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
            Ctrlr