Mapping Controller to CTRLR Parameters – eg Filter / LFO / etc

Home Forums Platform Specific Windows Mapping Controller to CTRLR Parameters – eg Filter / LFO / etc

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    kortizol
    Participant
      • Topics: 2
      • Replies: 8
      • Total: 10

Hi There,

Once CTRLR is fully setup ( I’m using Ableton ), panel is in place – all bi direction communication looks good – reading patches into CTRLR, sending signals out to Synth, is it possible to map a hardware controller knob to a slider on a panel in CTRLR ?

EG: I have Ableton Push mapped to my AlphaJuno here – am able to play the keys on the Push to play the Juno no problem, but how do I map one of the knobs to control the filter ?

dnaldoog
      Participant
        • Topics: 4
        • Replies: 480
        • Total: 484
        • ★★

[message removed as irrelevant to request]

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Possemo
        Participant
          • Topics: 14
          • Replies: 638
          • Total: 652
          • ★★★

Not sure if the Ableton Push is able to send sysex. But in case it does: replace yy with midi channel and xx is the actual value of the parameter.

dnaldoog
          Participant
            • Topics: 4
            • Replies: 480
            • Total: 484
            • ★★

I didn’t even know what Ableton Push was- just checked – didn’t read the message carefully – might bow out of this one.

kortizol
            Participant

Let’s put Push aside for a sec as that might complicate things.

Consider with the BCR2000.

I’m using a pre-built panel in this case this one : http://ctrlr.org/forums/topic/roland-mks-50-advanced/

Would I need to hack the CTRLR panel to make this work ?

Possemo
              Participant
                • ★★★

you don’t need to do anything on the panel. You will need to setup the hardware controller correctly in order to send the correct messages to the synth. I don’t know if BCR2000 does support sysex.

kortizol
                Participant

OK – sounds like standalone mode you’re describing.
                  My hardware controller has assignable knobs.

In Ableton, I go into midi assign write mode and I can select an object (fader, variable on a plugin, pan pot etc) and assign the knob to that object. Inside the ctrlr panel when you engage Midi Assign Write mode the variables are not assignable.

The BCR in standalone can do sysex – that’s why I originally bought it – I even bought the skin for it as a full on AlphaJuno controller.

BCR2000 AlphaJuno Skin Overlay

Possemo
                  Participant
                    • ★★★

Oh that skin looks nice. You should just need to load the template file into your BCR found here:
                    http://www.synthgraphics.com/sysex/index.html
                    and you should be ready to go.

Maybe I don’t understand your question. Do you want that the sliders of the Ctrlr panel move when you turn the BCR’s knobs? In general Ctrlr supports this but I am not sure if it works for sysex messages.

kortizol
                    Participant

Yes !
                      Witht he BCR connected to the AlphaJuno directly via midi, that works with the basic patch.

But what I want to be able to do is map any knob of my choice to a parameter in a CTRLR panel- that in turn will be mapped to whatever the CTRLR panel component is mapped to on the AlphaJuno. This will also enable me to write automation which is very important for me.

I have other synths coming into the equation, so this is beyond the AlphaJuno and I’m trying to get my head around whether this can work or not.

Possemo
                      Participant
                        • ★★★

A Ctrlr-slider reacts to incoming controller messages. It will react to the same controller as defined in the sliders properties only. So if e.g. you want to do that with midiCC 21 you have to set the BCR to send CC 21 and there must be a slider in Ctrlr defined to send CC 21.

If you want to record movements of the BCR in your DAW you won’t need Ctrlr or in other words, afaik Ctrlr will be of no use for this purpose.

kortizol
                        Participant

OK – So when I open up the panel back end view, how can I identify the CC assigned to a particular slider ?

Possemo
                          Participant
                            • ★★★

you can see the message a given slider is sending in the midi-properties (see screenshot). In this example it sends a midi-cc with number 21. But you can send a lot of other messages such as nrpn-cc’s or sysex.

Attachments:
                            You must be logged in to view attached files.
                            kortizol
                            Participant

Ok – I’ll check that out.
                              When I go in and have a look without any synths connected, open the panel dock with the MKS50 panel open, click on the different sliders, nothing changes on those midi values.

So I’m guessing you mean, plug it all in, and then tweak the values with the synth connected and read the results of the cc at computer end ?

Possemo
                              Participant
                                • ★★★

Well, the MKS-50 needs sysex not CC so nothing will change on CC settings. Look at the sysex setting.

kortizol
                                Participant

Yeah – I’m going to need to learn to read sysex and get a bit deeper into all this it seems if I want to be able to do a few funky things !

Possemo
                                  Participant
                                    • ★★★

sysex looks more complicated than it is. At least the sysex messages of the MKS-50 are quite simple. Look at this sheet:
                                    https://medias.audiofanzine.com/files/alpha-juno-mks-50-sysex-471362.pdf
                                    it is in french language but this shouldn’t be a problem as there is just very few text. the value nn represents the midi channel and DT represents the actual value of the parameter.

So in Ctrlr you would set parameter “VCF cutoff frequency” (parameter number 10) like this:

F0 41 36 YY 23 20 01 10 XX F7

YY represents the midi channel set in Ctrlr
                                    XX represents the value set by the slider
                                    10 represents the parameter vcf cutoff

All other values are fixed values which always remain unchanged

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Possemo.
                                    • This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Possemo.
                                  Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
                                  • The forum ‘Windows’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                                  There is currently 0 users and 73 guests online
                                  No users are currently active
                                  Forum Statistics
                                  Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                                  Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                                  Ctrlr