Memory of panels

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr Memory of panels

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    dasfaker
    Keymaster
      • Topics: 80
      • Replies: 793
      • Total: 873
      • ★★★

I have concerns about the memory required by each panel. A single panel for 1 part of the Virus Snow needs 98 Mb. If I want to use a panel for each channel (4 in the Snow) it goes to almost 400 Mb. Adding some M4L devices and several other plugins make a simple arrangement in Ableton too weighed, and the time it needs to load is huge.

I don’t know if this amount of memory is due to the huge amount of graphics used, or if it’s due to the amount of modulators (560). Would indexing the images (reducing the bit depth to 256 colours) reduce the amount of memory significantly?

atom
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 159
        • Replies: 2945
        • Total: 3104
        • ★★★★★

i’ll re-check my image processing implementation, i know i had a bug where the images were copied instead of beeing re-used in components.

atom
        Keymaster
          • ★★★★★

Also, is that panel available (the one in the DDB?) it will be better if i can test the real thing.

dasfaker
          Keymaster
            • ★★★

There is one uploaded, but I’m working on another that I’ll upload ASAP

atom
            Keymaster
              • ★★★★★

i’m looking into the memory allocation stuff, i don’t see any obvious mistakes i’ve made, the panels don’t allocate memory whenever a copy of a image is used (multiple sliders with the same image as a resource) so that’s ok. i guess i need to look into LUA based memory stuff (each panel creates a new LUA state with a copy of all registered classes, i suspect that might take up some memory). Don’t really know what more can be wrong, but i’m trying some profiling apps that might help.

dasfaker
              Keymaster
                • ★★★

I’ve delete all resources of the panel, and now it take 68 Mb of memory (with resources it goes to 98 Mb).

But if I add a simple uiSlider or click on it, selecting it and de-selecting it several times makes memory indicator to raise quite fast (especially de-selecting it, it raises 5 Mb each time). With an empty panel it doesn’t seem to happen.

atom
                Keymaster
                  • ★★★★★

First of all you can’t really look at how the memory is added/removed the OS will free the memory when it needs to and allocate when it needs to, there is also caching of the memory pages and other complicated mechanisms in play.

Ctrlr as a standalone with no panels opened takes about 40mb in memory, the resources will take up memory then need to there is now way around it. I’m looking at some memory optimizations. There is a lot of memory taken by string stuff, since all the panels are actually XML like structures kept in memory and theese take a lot, i’ll try to optimize that if i can.

dasfaker
                  Keymaster
                    • ★★★

You mean the memory indicator in the toolbar of Ctrlr is not reliable? Ok

atom
                    Keymaster
                      • ★★★★★

It is reliable but after some time, the fact that sometimes it jumps up because you do a select does not really mean a lot. It’s very complicated i don’t think i even understand it entirely.

dasfaker
                      Keymaster
                        • ★★★

I get it… I was a bit worried when I saw this increase of memory.

Thx for your replies Atom.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                      There is currently 0 users and 77 guests online
                      No users are currently active
                      Forum Statistics
                      Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                      Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                      Ctrlr