1278 issues

Home Forums General News and releases 1278 issues

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    dasfaker
    Keymaster
      • Topics: 80
      • Replies: 793
      • Total: 873
      • ★★★

PatchDataLoaded = midiMessage:getData()
      console(""..PatchDataLoaded:toHexString(1))

This works fine and I get the dump in the console.

programData = midiMessage:getData():getRange(09,514)
      console(""..programData:toHexString(1))

But when I use getRange I get this error
      Error message: [string “–…”]:28: attempt to call method ‘toHexString’ (a nil value)

dasfaker
      Keymaster
        • ★★★

Fixed in 1279.

But there is something else wrong, and difficult to debug (present in 1279 and 1278).

When I receive a patch dump, the midiReceived method is executed to assign values to modulators one by one. The problem is that the method isn’t executed till the end and when it reach some point, I see in the log file that the method is assigning values again to the same modulators in a random order. The method seems to enter in a recursive loop calling once and again the same modulators, while others never get its value, and Ctrlr freezes.

Of course the method was working right before rev. 1278

atom
        Keymaster
          • Topics: 159
          • Replies: 2945
          • Total: 3104
          • ★★★★★

Have you seen this changelog
          “A fix for handling changes to modulators, a case where the same value is set twice with a force == true flag. In this case the propertyChanged() callback does not happen on the CtrlrModulator object, i added a statement that removes the property before re-setting it to the same value, this will cause a change update.”

This might be causing different behavior when setting modulator values from LUA.

atom
          Keymaster
            • ★★★★★

also, does this mean that the Panel method for receiving messages is called more then once for ONE program dump, one large program dump – many executions of the method ?

dasfaker
            Keymaster
              • ★★★

Yes, I read the changelog. If I understand correctly, problems will occur if I assign the same value to the same modulator twice with a true flag. I think it’s not the case.

The method is executed only once and there is no loop coded inside, each modulator is called by name one by one to assign them it’s value. But when the method is executed I see in the log file that there’s a point in which some kind of infinite loop appears and a variable bunch of modulators are called once and again. The coded order is broken.

On another modulator I have a similar problem that I have to investigate a bit more, but again executing it’s lua method create an infinite loop that sends program change messages to the synth frozen Ctrlr.

dasfaker
              Keymaster
                • ★★★

Finally I found the problem, and as you suggested it was due to double setting the same value to a modulator, it was in another method and it was hard to find it.

I was using the trick of setting twice the same value on uiListBox because it was the way I’ve found to uncheck all rows in the listbox. If the listbox had 15
                rows, assigning twice a value > 15 unchecked all rows. How can I get the same effect?

dasfaker
                Keymaster
                  • ★★★

Solved the uiListBox problem.

But there seems to be another one (in fact, the original problem). If I set in LUA the value of a modulator that is linked to another one, the endless loop appears. Both modulators must be linked to each one for this to happen.

Must we return to the old times when linking modulators was buggy and make the linking with LUA or can you fix it?

atom
                  Keymaster
                    • ★★★★★

It was never my intention to have anything “buggy”, if there is a bug report it, otherwise i won’t fix something i’m unaware of.

I don’t understand how should i replicate a problem, maybe an example panel could help, i don’t know what to link where and where to call LUA and how.

dasfaker
                    Keymaster
                      • ★★★

Here you have. Click twice on the button.

Attachments:
                      You must be logged in to view attached files.
                      atom
                      Keymaster
                        • ★★★★★

Try it now.

But i think the idea in the panel is incorrect, you created a feedback loop, you should never do that.

dasfaker
                        Keymaster
                          • ★★★

If I only link mod1 to mod2, moving mod2 don’t move mod1, it’s not bidirectional. I’ve had done modulator links on my panels with lua, testing if the new value was different to avoid feedbacks. Then some day ago a new revision did the double linking possible so the lua method was no necessary, until now.

I’ve not checked the new rev yet, I’ll let you know.

atom
                          Keymaster
                            • ★★★★★

you should never do that, no matter what else, until a proper modulator matrix is created, for now it’s too simple and might cause problems (it doesn’t do any sanity checks)

atom
                            Keymaster
                              • ★★★★★

I’ve added an example panel on how to work with uiListBox directly.

dasfaker
                              Keymaster
                                • ★★★

Seems fixed, thanks. But as you recommend not to use this kind of linking yet, should we use it or not? (right now it’s working).

Thanks for the example panel. I read yesterday the Juce docs and could find the methods associated with uiListBox and they worked fine.

I’ve seen too a TableListBox class, it could be great to have it in Ctrlr. In fact there are a lot of features there that will be welcomed to Ctrlr.

atom
                                Keymaster
                                  • ★★★★★

I’m sure there are a lot of them, but i need time to type them in, the simple class binding takes time, i need to re-implement the methods that do not work or use some very complicated classes. It’s a lot of typing and a lot of testing.

the TableListBox has a header component like the modulatorList that’s it, nothing more to it.

And yes i don’t recommend linking modulators to each other that way at least not until the modulator matrix is done, i just don’t know what will be some long term consequences for this. I know it works because i worked around the problem and i’m not sure this is a good idea, it’s really up 2 u to do that.

If you have a list of classes/components that you think would somehow improve Ctrlr, please tell me i’ll see what i can do, adding this stuff is really simple, it’s just boring and time consuming.

dasfaker
                                  Keymaster
                                    • ★★★

I didn’t wanted to put you under pressure, I’m sure there are a lot of things to do more urgent on Ctrlr. Surely any of us will want something different to add.
                                    Anyway I’ll see what could be useful.

I talked about TableListBox because now I’m using a fake table of 8 listboxes to show up the patches of a bank and I miss scrolling horizontally between listboxes with the keyboard, and it will be easy to handle.

dasfaker
                                    Keymaster
                                      • ★★★

After seeing the JUCE demo I realise that the table isn’t what I expected, I wanted that each cell could be selected individually.

Things that would be useful to add to Ctrlr (only a few, you just added a lot of them).

· Popup menus.
                                      · Radio buttons in the JUCE demo: If you click on the selected item, the item doesn’t get unselected, right now in Ctrlr you can click on the selected item to unselect it (bug?)
                                      · I see sliders that have two “pickers”. Is this implemented yet?

atom
                                      Keymaster
                                        • ★★★★★

Popup menu is already there.

radio buttons behavior is not a bug, and it’s not possible to use the native JUCE code for this.

dasfaker
                                        Keymaster
                                          • ★★★

Popup menu is already there.

Sorry but I can’t see it.

atom
                                          Keymaster
                                            • ★★★★★

Well it’s there i see it just is hard to use since JUCE has changed, i just updated it to make it easier to user, i’m also adding and example panel to the Panels dir for a simple demo.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
                                          • The forum ‘News and releases’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                                          There is currently 0 users and 135 guests online
                                          No users are currently active
                                          Forum Statistics
                                          Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                                          Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                                          Ctrlr