2 unique names?

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr 2 unique names?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    msepsis
    Participant
      • Topics: 219
      • Replies: 732
      • Total: 951
      • ★★★

I now see (rev 466) two places to enter a unique name for a modulator, changing one does not change the other:
      whats the difference between the "name (unique)" under component vs modulator sections?

Monstrum Media | Music, Sound & Software Design, Chicago / San Francisco listen

atom
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 159
        • Replies: 2945
        • Total: 3104
        • ★★★★★

the unique name is always unique (if you try to change this property to a name that already exists, ctrlr will force a different unique name), the visible name can be anything and all modulators can have the same name, and that name will be the one showed in the Name Label.

msepsis
        Participant
          • ★★★

I didn’t ask the difference between the unique name and the visible name. I asked why there are two fields for "Name [unique]" … one is at the top under the modulator section and the other is allll the way to the bottom under the component settings:::

[img:1lgglly7]http://www.monstrumsepsis.com/ctrlr/unique1.gif[/img:1lgglly7]
          VS

[img:1lgglly7]http://www.monstrumsepsis.com/ctrlr/unique2.gif[/img:1lgglly7]

I would expect that changing one would change the other, but it does not. I can then have two unique names for a modulator. .. something isn’t right.

atom
          Keymaster
            • ★★★★★

yes it’s not ok i need to check that.

atom
            Keymaster
              • ★★★★★

just checked (that was quick) i think it’s a relict from old Ctrlr versions if you are using some panel created in some eariler releases artifacts may appear, it should have ?? before it, but since the property "name" was left alone as "name" and was not renamed to like "modulatorName" and "componentName" then Ctrlr sees no difference.

You can ignore that property, if you would like to delete it, you need to save your panel as XML and look for a <component /> tag and find a "name" property, if it’s there just delete it.

dnigrin
              Participant
                • Topics: 9
                • Replies: 57
                • Total: 66

Thanks, this was affecting me too. Easy enough to repair though with a text editor.

atom
                Keymaster
                  • ★★★★★

well there might more of theese, a lot with "??" at the beginning, this will show you what has change in the Ctrlr, what was removed or renamed, it should help you locate any errors you might be getting with your panels. It’s sort of a help feature rather then a bug.

msepsis
                  Participant
                    • ★★★

ughh. easy enough if there aren’t many modulators. but not the case if there are many in your panel!

I see a few "??" here and there on the panel attributes, I get what you are saying about why the "Name [unique]" attribute under modulator and component didn’t get flagged.. but it still got pushed to the end of the list…

?
                    hm… I guess that begs the question… it seems there is some container these object attributes must fit in or else they get shoved to the bottom of the list. Is it in any way possible to allow these attributes to be purged?? like an "update panel" proceedure when opening a panel created with an earlier version of ctrlr? There are lots of ctrlr updates to keep up with – and that’s no complaint, believe me!

atom
                    Keymaster
                      • ★★★★★

the position on the list does not depend on anything except for some internal stuff. I can make a procedure to purge elements with "??". At some point each setcion (modulator, component, panel) will have a list of possible IDs assigned only to that section and then i’ll be able to do a "property cleanup" i didn’t want to do it for now, too much is changing and moving around and doing thins like that will cause more problems then solutions.

But yes at some point this will be fixed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                    There is currently 0 users and 72 guests online
                    No users are currently active
                    Forum Statistics
                    Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                    Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                    Ctrlr