A few things I can’t figure out…

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr A few things I can’t figure out…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mr Arkadin
    Participant
      • Topics: 2
      • Replies: 1
      • Total: 3

Well I’m trying to build a Moog Taurus 3 editor and have the basic layout that i may improve once I figure out how to use custom ui knobs. Anyway in the meantime I want to get the basics working and there are a few things I just can’t figure out from using the program:

1. Knobs – is it possible to give a knob a 12 o’clock "zero" positon so that the values display -64 and +64. This would be useful for tuning parameters where 0=no detune at 12 o’clock.

2. I am trying to use the uiCombo up/down button. I can’t see anywhere to define how many steps this has (I need four) and how to name each step (they will be waveform names).

3. Can the CTRLR use 14-bit hi-res mode (MSB-LSB) or is it only 7-bit resolution?

Thanks in advance for any help on what will probably seem dumb questions later on.

Anonymous
        • Topics: 3
        • Replies: 15
        • Total: 18

1. Absolutely. Click on your uiSlider. In the "Component" settings, look for "Minimum value" and "Maximum value". Change those to -64 and 64. Depending on the values that your synth is listening for, you might have to change the "Expression to evaluate when calculating the midi message value…" also. Normally it’s "modulatorValue", but if your synth expects values in a range of 0..127, change this to "modulatorValue+64". Then the next parameter — midi messages back to Ctrlr values — should be changed to "midiValue-64".

See if it works. This didn’t work on my E-Mu Morpheus, it wanted 14-bit words, and I had to create uiFixedSliders and assign each value the long way: (Actually I wrote some LUA to generate these lists. This goes in the "Slider Contents" text field, by the way:)

[code:36dr4tv3]
        ...(snipped)...
        -4=16380
        -3=16381
        -2=16382
        -1=16383
        0=0
        1=1
        2=2
        3=3
        ...(snipped)...
        [/code:36dr4tv3]

2. I haven’t used uiCombo yet…

3. Yes. In the "Edit SysEx" window, right-click on a byte for a list of options. (There may be a way to send 14-bit values without SysEx commands, but I don’t know it.)

atom
        Keymaster
          • Topics: 159
          • Replies: 2945
          • Total: 3104
          • ★★★★★

2. Edit the combo contents property, one line is one item on the list (you can add = on the end of the line to assign a custom numeric value)
          3. ofcourse LS/MS ls/ms and with LUA you can have any resolution you like

Filch
          Participant
            • Topics: 22
            • Replies: 173
            • Total: 195
            • ★★
            "Mr Arkadin":1k4p724q wrote:
            2. I am trying to use the uiCombo up/down button. I can’t see anywhere to define how many steps this has (I need four) and how to name each step (they will be waveform names).[/quote:1k4p724q]

The combo is a dropdown box, not really an up/down button. Click the Box or button, the choices drop down, select the one you want. To set how many are there, go to the Combo Contents box on the modulator properties panel. Fill in the box with the choices you want.

Square
            Sine
            Saw
            Random

the first entry is value 0, the second is 1, etc. If you need the selection to be a specific value , you just set it " = " to.

Square=65
            Sine=66
            Saw=67

etc

Filch
            Participant
              • ★★

doh, atom beat me to it. That’s what I get for leaving this window open for so long and not looking for recent updates

Filch
              Participant
                • ★★
                "2mm":nh1xdeju wrote:
                1. Absolutely. Click on your uiSlider. In the "Component" settings, look for "Minimum value" and "Maximum value". Change those to -64 and 64. Depending on the values that your synth is listening for, you might have to change the "Expression to evaluate when calculating the midi message value…" also. Normally it’s "modulatorValue", but if your synth expects values in a range of 0..127, change this to "modulatorValue+64". Then the next parameter — midi messages back to Ctrlr values — should be changed to "midiValue-64".[/quote:nh1xdeju]

You won’t get the slider graphics to look bipolar, but the values it sends will be like you described. If you want your slider graphics to look bipolar as well, you’ll need to make a custom uiImageSlider.

atom
                Keymaster
                  • Topics: 159
                  • Replies: 2945
                  • Total: 3104
                  • ★★★★★

one more thing

[b:25f7h2uo]i need to write a manual !!![/b:25f7h2uo]

Filch
                  Participant
                    • ★★

Totally.

If you can get at least a good outline going, chapters etc, style of writing, we could fill in some gaps here and there.

Anonymous
                      • Topics: 3
                      • Replies: 15
                      • Total: 18
                      "Filch":2rz54c0i wrote:
                      Totally.

If you can get at least a good outline going, chapters etc, style of writing, we could fill in some gaps here and there.[/quote:2rz54c0i]

Count me in, too. I’m new to Ctrlr, but I think this is a worthwhile project, and I’d like to contribute at some point.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                    There is currently 0 users and 107 guests online
                    No users are currently active
                    Forum Statistics
                    Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                    Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                    Ctrlr