A major bug issue and some new features

Home Forums General News and releases A major bug issue and some new features

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    atom
    Keymaster
      • Topics: 159
      • Replies: 2945
      • Total: 3104
      • ★★★★★

There are two nightlies today 1208 and 1209. There are two cause i found a big bug in 1208 and quickly fixed it. Anyone using the nightly builds please update to 1209 or you might loose your work if linking modulators to each other (a detailes description in the Changelog).

Also a new example panel DEMO – Complex expressions.panel has been added. It shows some new expression possibilities. I added this cause people wanted to mangle BITS in their MIDI messages without going to LUA, it’s now possible. There are some new functions in expressions that can be used, and as a new feature access to values from all modulators in the panel plus access to global variables (via the panel.* and global.* scopes). The issue i can think of right now is with modulators with spaces in names, you propably won’t be able to type in the expression “panel.my modulator with spaces”, i’ll think of a workaround for this, but for now only non-space names can be used safely.

The functions their parameters and a short description is in: https://ctrlrv4.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ctrlrv4/nightly/Source/Core/CtrlrModulator/CtrlrModulatorProcessor.h (look at the evaluateForward function and the comments near). An extract below:

/** When evaluating expression in either direction a couple of utility functions can be used, the notation is the same as in C
      			for example to get the absolute value of the modulator you'd type: "abs(modulatorValue)" as the expression

A list of constants that can be used:
      - modulatorValue : the current linear value of the modulator
      			- modulatorMappedValue : the current mapped value in case of components that have mappings
      			- modulatorMax : the maximum value the modulator can have (non mapped)
      			- modulatorMin : the minimum value the modulator can have (non mapped)
      			- modulatorMappedMax : the maximum value the modulator can have (mapped)
      			- modulatorMappedMin : the maximum value the modulator can have (mapped)
      			- vstIndex : the VST/AU index of the paramter as seen by the host program
      			- midiValue : the value of the incomming midi message
      			- midiNumber : the number of the MIDI MESSAGE controller if applicable
      			- ceil : Returns the smallest integral value of the parameter
      			- abs : Returns the absolute value of the parameter
      			- floor : Returns the largest integral value that is not greater than the parameter
      			- mod : divides two numbers and returns the result of the MODULO operation "%" in C 10 % 3 = 1, 0 % 5 = 0; 30 % 6 = 0; 32 % 5 = 2
      			- fmod : Returns the floating-point remainder of the two parameters passed in
      			- pow : Returns the first parameter raised to the power of the second (dunno what that could be used for but it's there)
      			- gte : Return the larger or equal of the two passed parameters (a >= b), gte (modulatorValue, 0, modulatorValue, 128 - modulatorValue)
      					will return modulatorValue if modulatorValue is greater then 0 and (128 - modulatorValue) if it is less then zero
      			- gt : same as gte but greater then without the equal sign (a > b)
      			- max : returns the bigger of two parameters
      			- min : returns the smaller of two parameters
      			- getBitRangeAsInt (value, startBit, numBits)
      			- setBitRangeAsInt (value, startBit, numBits, valueToSet) 
      			- clearBit (value, bitToClear) 
      			- isBitSet (value, bitPosition) 
      			- setBit (value, bitToSet) 
      			- setGlobal (globalIndex, newValueToSet)
      		*/

If you’ll use those, have a look at the logs, there will be a warning if there is something with an expression.

A new %x modifier has been added to Labels to display current HEX dump of the MIDI message linked to the changing modulator (just a small debug feature i find useful)

• This topic was modified 11 years, 4 months ago by atom.
      • This topic was modified 11 years, 4 months ago by atom.
      msepsis
      Participant
        • Topics: 219
        • Replies: 732
        • Total: 951
        • ★★★

Hi atom,

I’m still having issues with knobs/sliders that are set to CC not working. running 1209. I have a handful of modulators (knobs/sliders/buttons, etc) that were left functionless after one of the more recent updates — some sysex modulators were even set to midi message type “none” and their formulas removed.

If i start re-assigning the knobs, save the panel, close the panel then re-open the saved panel I see that some of the knobs I’ve reset work, some dont, then some modulators that worked previously now don’t work yet are still set to midi message type CC.

Very trivial stuff, I’ve kinda overlooked it over the past few days as I was working on some bigger picture scripting stuff but when I went back to try to sort this out late last night I experienced the same thing.

Interesting to note that if i save the panel as a bpanel i tend to retain most of my changes/fixes to the midi message type. If i save a panel as a bpanelz with resources I tend to loose all fixes plus others that worked fine before.

I was very hesitant to continue debugging this on a panel that ive spent almost 3 years on but if you need more info or aren’t able to reproduce I’ll dig into this deeper.

• This reply was modified 11 years, 4 months ago by msepsis.

Monstrum Media | Music, Sound & Software Design, Chicago / San Francisco listen

atom
        Keymaster
          • ★★★★★

I assume some properties either old or with bad values cause this. Since i changed how the midi message is restored from the disk, a little change might cause havoc.

What i would ask is for you to start a new panel, and see if you get same problem, i can reproduce those. If you don’t, then either send your panel that causes problems (remove the big parts just leave the part that is buggy), and i’ll run it under a debugger and i’ll see what i can come up with.

msepsis
          Participant
            • ★★★

Ok, yes easily reproducible with a new fresh panel. win xp x32, ctrlr 1209.

I created 2 modulators, set them up to send:
            CC 13
            CC 33
            set up my midi devices, exit edit mode, rotate knobs, they send values through the midi out device, the midi monitor reports shows the activity and I see and hear it on my synth.

Saved it as a .panel file), close the panel, reopen the panel and the knobs now don’t work, although they still say they’re set to send CC 13 and 33. No activity in the MIDI monitor now, and obviously the synth receives no CC13 or CC33 messages.

atom
            Keymaster
              • ★★★★★

Allright now i have something to work with 🙂 will fix that ASAP

atom
              Keymaster
                • ★★★★★

Well i can’t confirm this. Did exactly this:
                1) new panel
                2) new modulators, cc, set up devices
                3) save to .panel file
                4) delete Ctrlr all it’s settings so that it starts as new installed
                5) open .panel file, everything works, devices were saved and opened, messages are getting sent.

msepsis
                Participant
                  • ★★★

So I had sent you a pm, atom a week or so back regarding a panel who’s lua scripts would completely vanish after doing some debugging. I ran into that again with this same panel.

atom, any idea how to send you a pm? I suspect you didn’t get my last one — your name “atom” doesn’t show up as an available recipient when composing pPMs ??

The following occurred while going through and debugging any modulator that was seeming to not send messages. I had every one of them fixed after about an 1 1/2 hours.
                  For a second time in 2 weeks, after about 45 minutesof working on replacing missing/non-working cc/sysex assignments to modulators, the file size of my panel files dropped 1 mb and all the panels i saved past that point were completely void of any Lua. ugh.

atom
                  Keymaster
                    • ★★★★★

That means one of the properties in the XML is wrong and that breaks the XML document format. I wrote about this, i found at least one bug like that but there might be more.

atom
                    Keymaster
                      • ★★★★★

Maybe you can tell me how you are changing the midi types, via the properties panel or via the modulator list, or maybe via lua ?

msepsis
                      Participant
                        • ★★★

The midi message type is really just supposed to stay set, im not changing it dynamically by anything, was just changing it manually to reset it back by manually selecting one of the options (CC, sysex, etc) in the modulator’s parameters on the far right.

msepsis
                        Participant
                          • ★★★

I seemed to get by this by fixing as modulators one or two at a time, saving a .panel file, checking the size, then continuing on all on my win 7 x64 laptop. i’m working with the panel now on my xp x32 box and most every modulator (except a few which I’ll look at) seem to work.. probably just some legacy stuff that somehow got in the way.

Atom, send me a PM or let me know to whom to send a pm to in order to get to you… “admin”? there is no “atom” in any of the available pm recipients using the site’s tools. I can address a pm to hundreds of other ctrlr user nmaes tho, no problem, just no “atom”.

msepsis
                          Participant
                            • ★★★

siiigh.
                            I thought I had gotten it fixed… opened the panel last night on xp x32 in ctrlr 1209 and again only about 1/3 of the panel’s knobs/sliders were sending the messages they’re all set up to send..

Atom, pm me and I’ll pass over this panel if you need it. Seems there are a number of users experiencing this issue so I know I’m not the only one.

msepsis
                            Participant
                              • ★★★

got your PM, but weird.. i can’t reply to it. i get a slew of PHP errors after hitting reply to your pm.

There’s no “atom” in the PM recipient list, i just tried “admin” let me know if you didn’t get that.

msepsis
                              Participant
                                • ★★★

took a screenshot of what I get back after trying to pm you back.. attached here

Attachments:
                                You must be logged in to view attached files.

Hecticcc
                                Participant
                                  • Topics: 25
                                  • Replies: 160
                                  • Total: 185
                                  • ★★

I had the same Lua issue today.

After saving, quitting Ctrlr and re-opening the panel later all the Lua scripts were gone…

Luckily i had seen this thread beforehand and made manual incremental saves along the way so didn’t lose much work. Reverted to 1184 atm, don’t want tol risk losing lots of work.

Fwiw: before i lost the scripts i had changed the font setting of the lua editor, maybe that’s what broke it??

atom
                                  Keymaster
                                    • ★★★★★

Try to enable file logging in the general options and work with that enabled, if it happens again see if there is anything in the log file (the build has some JUCE:core logging enabled maybe there will be something there)

atom
                                    Keymaster
                                      • ★★★★★

Ok the fact that the opened panel is not sending messages is caused by some low-level JUCE stuff. There is a problem with how the devices are opened/closed, you can open it once, but when Ctrlr exits it actually can’t close the device, it exits anyway (killing the Midi Output thread, that should have exited on it’s own), when you re-open Ctrlr with that panel (or any other that uses that MIDI device) it won’t send anyting. I noticed that after some time the OS closes the device i think (maybe MIDI-OX could close it, it has a special feature that closes MIDI devices in some magic way).

Anyway that seems to be the issue, i’ll track down if i can fix it, but i suspect a bug report to Jules@JUCE might be needed, and that might take some time, Jules is busy now with some paid project thats suppose to premier soon (it’s a secret and he won’t say what it is).

atom
                                      Keymaster
                                        • ★★★★★

There is also an issue with the MidiMessage class i spotted. This is very weird cause it happens sometimes. I need to do some more debugging on this.

msepsis
                                        Participant
                                          • ★★★

I’ll be patient. I’m sure you’ll find and fix the issue here, with any luck Jules won’t be needed. I know this issue was not around during the 1184-era releases and has only popped up recently. Many lua changes since then which I’ve already accounted for in my panels to the point where they trigger errors in anything before the current nightly revs, so I guess for now I’ll sit tight and hope for a fix relatively soon.

Thanks atom.

atom
                                          Keymaster
                                            • ★★★★★

I’ll get to it again tomorrow possibly, i got a work thing today, i doubt i’ll be any good today

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
                                          • The forum ‘News and releases’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                                          There is currently 0 users and 80 guests online
                                          No users are currently active
                                          Forum Statistics
                                          Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                                          Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                                          Ctrlr