ableton live "automatable" modulators

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr ableton live "automatable" modulators

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    msepsis
    Participant
      • Topics: 219
      • Replies: 732
      • Total: 951
      • ★★★

I’m noticing that when one of my panels is loaded into ableton live 9 on a mac (10.6.8, snow leo) using the latest mac ctrlr rev 1315 either as vst or au, a handful of my modulators do not appear to be automatable. I’ve done a fair bit of investigating and I’m not finding anything obvious that would prevent these modulators from being automatable… They all have what I would consider a valid VST index assigned in ctrlr, it seems nonspecific to CC or SYSEX modulators.. that is some modulators that are assigned CC messages are automatable, some are not; some modulators assigned SYSEX messages are automatable, some are not.

clues? ideas? opinions?

I’ve been away from ctrlr for february and have done a good amt of backreading on the forums, not seeing anything mentioned about this.

Thank you!

Monstrum Media | Music, Sound & Software Design, Chicago / San Francisco listen

msepsis
      Participant
        • ★★★

*bump*

Given a modulator is assigned a unique vst index number, what might be preventing a modulator from being automatable when it is opened in ctrlr vst mode within a host?

atom
        Keymaster
          • Topics: 159
          • Replies: 2945
          • Total: 3104
          • ★★★★★

I can’t really say, i’m not using ableton. I’ll give this a try later today with a copy of Live i have.

msepsis
          Participant
            • ★★★

thanks atom. simply replace ableton with whatever DAW. What I’m asking is:
            what might be preventing a modulator from being automatable when it is opened in ctrlr vst mode within a host?

atom
            Keymaster
              • ★★★★★

i really can’t say, i wanted to test this today, but i came from work and my PC gave up (BSOD can’t boot, need to reinstall windows), then my Echo AudioFire12 gave up (can’t power it on). I’m in a fix it mode now, once i get this all back up i’ll get back to this.

msepsis
              Participant
                • ★★★

i say this with all best intentions – you’d be doing yourself a ginormous favor by giving os x on a mac (to hell with hackintoshing) another whirl.

You seem to have caught a bad case of “why does it keep hurting when i bash my head with this PC” 🙂

seems my VST index numbers somehow got completely shuffled. Most all of them are values over 500. What is the maximum valid VST index value? I had some luck when I edited one of my modulators back to VST index 62, for example.. but when I changed it up to 128 it no longer was automatable, then when I switched it back to 62 it also didnt seem automatable. If/when I get a better idea as to what’s going on (limited time right at the moment to dig deeper) I’ll follow up here.

atom
                Keymaster
                  • ★★★★★

I got the PC running again (it was windows that gave up, windows8 seems to be having some problems). It’s my Echo AudioFire12 i’ll be crying about, i had this interface for over 4 years and loved it, never crashed never hanged never buzzed was always stable and did the job. I hope i can get it fixed.

msepsis
                  Participant
                    • ★★★

see my previous question regarding max VST index number..

Also I’m noticing that with the AU instance of ctrlr (mac) I can’t open any panels in live 9. If I use the VST instnce of ctrlr I can open a panel but have to wait a few seconds before “open panel” is ungreyed out… When I load ctrlr as an AU in live 9 the “open panel” under the file menu is greyed out.. strange.

atom
                    Keymaster
                      • ★★★★★

I wrote about it in the getting started in Documentation, the greyed out stuff is about window focus sometimes the host doesn’t want to give the focus to the plugin window. That’s why i wrote the Live Wrapper on Windows at least.
                      If you can’t make it work i’ll have to force the wrapper to more situations.

msepsis
                      Participant
                        • ★★★

ah.. and I think i found the answer to my question regarding max exported vst params.. there’s a slider in the preferences that was set to 64 for some reason? I adjusted that higher (how high can this actually go?) and am getting automatable params back now in ableton.

[edit: hmm.. it seems even if i set the max exported vst params up to 256 I’m only getting 128 automatable parameters in the DAW. Correct me if I’m wrong here but that’s the most we’ll be able to get right? I seem to recall that from the vst spec which I can’t seem to locate at the moment that you can only automate 128 params per VST instance]

atom
                        Keymaster
                          • ★★★★★

No there is no MAX, the problem is how many times and WHEN does the host ask for the amount of parameters (asks the plugin).

That’s why i added the Export Instance, with that there should be no problem and the amount of exported parameters should be adjusted automagicly based on the information in the panel.

When you are running a normal Multi panel instance, you can’t be sure about how many and often witch parameters are visible. Create your panel, name your modulators, and check with an Export Instance to see what parameters you see.

msepsis
                          Participant
                            • ★★★

I have to admit, i’m confused and am hoping I just misunderstand what you mean.. export instance gives me an .app file. That has nothing to do with vst/au.

in ableton i still seem limited to 64 automatable parameters. Not simultaneously.. I’m saying I can only get live to recognize a max of 64 automatable parameters, although in the panel I’m loading through cntrlr I have about 239 parameters set to “export param to host” with an index number <= 239..

haven't tried windows yet.

Also, yes I see what is meant now by max vst params in ctrlr’s preferences. makes sense now why that is in preferences.

Llamatron
                            Participant
                              • Topics: 7
                              • Replies: 27
                              • Total: 34

I think you have to export instance while inside Live, at least on Windows it’s how I get a VST dll

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                            There is currently 0 users and 67 guests online
                            No users are currently active
                            Forum Statistics
                            Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                            Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                            Ctrlr