SOLVED Can't build on Fedora 19 x86_64

Home Forums Platform Specific Linux SOLVED Can't build on Fedora 19 x86_64

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    davephillips
    Participant
      • Topics: 2
      • Replies: 7
      • Total: 9
      • β˜…

Greetings,

I’m testing native Linux VST plugins with Bitwig Studio. Unfortunately the Ctrlr binary fails to load, it complains about a missing zlib symbol. The standalone binary also fails to run, due to a missing version of libbfd. So I’m down to compiling it locally.

Unfortunately I’m having a nightmare of a time building it. I’m uncomfortable with Introjucer, I don’t really know how to use it, and I could surely use some very specific help. I run Introjucer on the Juce project file, it generates the Makefile, yet the include paths are completely screwed up. I assume I missed making some settings, which is why I need some specific assistance. If anyone else has successfully built Ctrlr on Fedora 19 (x86_64) can you give me some advice on how you did it ?

It all makes an old Linux hand get downright nostalgic about autotools. πŸ™‚

Best,

Dave Phillips

• This topic was modified 9 years, 10 months ago by davephillips.
      davephillips
      Participant
        • β˜…

Reply to self:

I’m able to almost build the binary here with the crtrl-aio.sh script. Alas, it fails at the final link stage with this error:

Linking Ctrlr_Standalone
        build/intermediate/Release/CtrlrLuaUtils_293d10aa.o: file not recognized: File truncated
        collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
        make: *** [../../../../Bin/Ctrlr] Error 1

When I check the file I find the following information :

-rw-rw-r–. 1 dlphilp dlphilp 0 Jun 16 07:32 tmp/ctrlrv4/nightly/Builds/Generated/Linux/Standalone/build/intermediate/Release/CtrlrLuaBigInteger_d3efa115.o
        -rw-rw-r–. 1 dlphilp dlphilp 0 Jun 16 07:32 tmp/ctrlrv4/nightly/Builds/Generated/Linux/Standalone/build/intermediate/Release/CtrlrLuaComponentAnimator_a379a037.o
        -rw-rw-r–. 1 dlphilp dlphilp 0 Jun 16 07:32 tmp/ctrlrv4/nightly/Builds/Generated/Linux/Standalone/build/intermediate/Release/CtrlrLuaUtils_293d10aa.o

The build fails because these three files will not compile. Can anyone suggest why this is happening ?

TIA,

dp

atom
        Keymaster
          • Topics: 159
          • Replies: 2945
          • Total: 3104
          • β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

If the files are truncated it means something has gone wrong during the compilator, remove the build directory and try again (remove all the .o files)

davephillips
          Participant
            • β˜…

@atom :

Thanks but that didn’t fix anything. The same three files refuse to compile. No errors are reported during the build process, so I’m at a complete loss how to proceed. Any suggestions will be vastly appreciated, I’ve been trying to get a working version of Ctrlr for more than a week.

Best,

dp

atom
            Keymaster
              • β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

You can try to see what the files are really after the compilation, assuming you know the file name and it’s called FILE:

ls -al FILE
              file FILE

you can try to see what commands will really get executed by typing “make -n” and manually executing the compile command for those files that fail.

Check if you have enough disk space (the files are 0 size so that’s bad they should contain some data)

davephillips
              Participant
                • β˜…

Check if you have enough disk space (the files are 0 size so that’s bad they should contain some data)

That was my first thought, but there’s 65G left on the partition. I’ve been compiling other apps without this complication.

I’ll try your other suggestions this afternoon, thanks !

Best,

dp

davephillips
                Participant
                  • β˜…

I ended up with a working build by using part of the ctrlr-aio.sh script. Specifically I used the build.sh script at ctrlrv4/nightly/Builds/Generated/Linux/VST which created the plugin.

[dlphilp@localhost ~]$ file ctrlr-build/tmp/ctrlrv4/nightly/Bin/Ctrlr-VST-x86_64.so
                  ctrlr-build/tmp/ctrlrv4/nightly/Bin/Ctrlr-VST-x86_64.so: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically linked, BuildID[sha1]=0xd804c376bc00c5d062bd6d3b281defdc29dd1ed7, not stripped

The plugin opens in Bitwig Studio 1.0.10 but most menu items are greyed out. Still working on that. A permissions problem, maybe ?

Best,

dp

• This reply was modified 9 years, 10 months ago by davephillips.
                  atom
                  Keymaster
                    • β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

No it’s a focus issue in JUCE, click on the resizer corner (bottom right) and the open a menu item, it should work. It’s something i want to fix but i really don’t know how.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • The forum ‘Linux’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                  There is currently 0 users and 135 guests online
                  No users are currently active
                  Forum Statistics
                  Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                  Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                  Ctrlr