CTRLR setup question

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr CTRLR setup question

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jbazzz
    Participant
      • Topics: 2
      • Replies: 2
      • Total: 4

I guess you get asked this question all the time, but I have had CTRLR Standalone and the plugin version for months now and cannot get them to work with my Roland MKS50. I can load the MKS50 panel, but when it comes to setting up the Midi ins and outs, I can’t get it to work, and I can’t get it to select the relevant options
      (no tick marks appear next to my selections).

Could someone give me an idiot’s guide on how to set this up, not just in CTRLR but also in Ableton Live as well? You will have a friend for life if you can help out with this!

I am using the plugin in Ableton Live 9 on a Macbook Pro, as well as the standalone app. Any other info you need, let me know.

Possemo
      Participant
        • Topics: 14
        • Replies: 638
        • Total: 652
        • ★★★

In general setting Ctrl up on a Mac should be pretty straightforward. At least it is on my virtual Mac with newest MacOs “High Sierra”. I am using a virtual Mac for testing purpose since MacOs “Yosemite” and apart from minor flaws it worked quite well. I guess you are using this build: http://ctrlr.org/nightly/Ctrlr-5.3.198.dmg. What type of MIDI-interface do you have? Are you using an ancient version of MacOsX?

Jbazzz
        Participant

I am running EL Capitan, and I have a MOTU Ultralite which is my main midi interface, but I also have a MOTU 828 mk2 and a Kenton midi box which splits the midi in into 5 midi outs, if that is of any help.

I was using build 5.3.85, I have now installed the latest build. I have followed the steps listed here, and can now check the options that I previously could not, but I still cannot get the panel to control my MKS50.

I am running the MKS50 on midi channel 3 and the audio is coming back in through audio inputs 7-8. I can provide screen grabs of every stage of the process I am following, if that helps?

Possemo
          Participant
            • ★★★

El Capitan should be ok.

The explanation from jasefos is about using the plugin within Ableton. I would first try to get Ctrlr standalone working.

Audio config does not matter for Ctrlr as this is a MIDI-only application. Just connect MIDI-out of the MKS50 to the MIDI-in of the Ultralite and MIDI-in of the MKS50 to the MIDI-out of the Ultralite. For bidirectional functionality you must connect both in and out.

Do you have to run proprietary drivers for your MOTU Ultralite or does it run with the built-in OsX-drivers? I have now a cheap MIDI-interface for Mac-testing purpose which does run flawlessly with the built-in OsX drivers. I could not get my MOTU midiexpress128 working but this is probably because my Mac is a vritual machine.

I don’t know how the MKS-50 panel is built. I can be that it only work with MIDI channel 1.

Possemo
            Participant
              • ★★★

I looked at the MKS-50 panel. It is quite a simple one. It does work only on MIDI channel 1. You don’t gain a lot of functionality when you connect MIDI-out of the MKS-50 to MIDI-in of the interface. One cable, Ultralite -> MKS-50 will do the job.

Jbazzz
              Participant

Possemo, thanks very much for your help with this, I have managed to get it working in standalone mode.

Now I just need help to set it up as a plugin – I have followed all the instructions given in the guide linked in my post above, but it won’t allow me to tick the necessary options.

Can anyone give me a step by step guide on how to do this, or has anyone come across this issue themselves, and how did you rectify it?

Possemo
                Participant
                  • ★★★

What are the options you can’t tick?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                There is currently 0 users and 50 guests online
                No users are currently active
                Forum Statistics
                Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                Ctrlr