Ctrlr VTS – Using more than one device

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr Ctrlr VTS – Using more than one device

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    SmackSmash
    Participant
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 2
      • Total: 3

Hi everyone! Great program, just having one little problem with it.

I’m trying to control 2 devices using 2 Ctrlr instances on 2 separate midi tracks in Ableton. However, each device seems to be receiving midi from both midi tracks simultaneously. Is there a work-around for this, or is this just something that happens? As far as I can tell, I am able to set different midi channels for the output of the VST, but as each instance is set to receive midi from ‘Plugin Host’ each one is receiving the midi from both tracks.

Any help would be awesome.

msepsis
      Participant
        • Topics: 219
        • Replies: 732
        • Total: 951
        • ★★★

confused by your terminology – when you say “MIDI track” do you mean virtual instrument track on which a ctrlr VST instance is loaded?

When you say “using more than one device” do you really mean using more than one instance of ctrlr?

What DAW are you using?

The MIDI device that sends to your ctrlr instance is set within the “MIDI” menu under input device. Besides that it’s hard to help you out as I believe you’re interchanging terms that mean things different from what it seems you think they do 🙂

Monstrum Media | Music, Sound & Software Design, Chicago / San Francisco listen

SmackSmash
        Participant

Thanks for the reply. I’m no expert so maybe I didn’t explain it too well, I’ll try to go into a little more detail. I should mention first that I’ve managed to find a workaround for this by using 2 separate midi outs, but I’ll outline what my issue was as I think it could be helpful for people who don;t have that option.

I’m using Ableton Live 9, and this is how I had everything set up:

Live:

Channels

Ctrlr VST 1:

Device 1

Ctrlr VST 2:

Device 2

Both panels also have their midi output channel set to 1 and 2 respectively on the panel itself.

The problem is that each device is receiving midi notes from both the second and fourth tracks that you see in the first screenshot. I’ve managed to get around this by using 2 dedicated midi outputs (a dedicated E-Mu Midi interface for the Juno, and my Mopho’s USB connection) but is there any reason that I can’t control 2 devices separately using one midi output device (the E-mu) using separate midi channels?

dasfaker
          Keymaster
            • Topics: 80
            • Replies: 793
            • Total: 873
            • ★★★

This is a reported bug, I don’t know if it is solved in the last revision. Look here http://ctrlr.org/forums/topic/2-problems-not-solved/#post-23268

SmackSmash
            Participant

Thanks for letting me know dasfaker. Hopefully this will be resolved at some point in the future, this plugin shows some serious of promise. For now I’ll just use separate midi devices.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
            There is currently 0 users and 114 guests online
            No users are currently active
            Forum Statistics
            Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
            Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
            Ctrlr