Doubts an troubles using Ctrlr in Ableton

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr Doubts an troubles using Ctrlr in Ableton

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    dasfaker
    Keymaster
      • Topics: 80
      • Replies: 793
      • Total: 873
      • ★★★

I’m having some troubles in Ableton.

If I click on "panel wants VST midi input" button, Ctrlr crashes. Sometimes Ableton crash too. This is related to a timer running in the panel load method. If I don’t use this method Ctrlr doesn’t crash.
      It seems that this button has to be activated to hear the notes recorded in a track, is this true?

There is an option in Preferences to limit the exported VST parameters set to 255. When I change this value, the next time I open Ctrlr it shows 255 again, my change it’s not saved.
      This parameter (and a few more, those that are in Ctrlr.overrides) appear and disappear from Preferences sometimes. I’ve tried to delete preferences but it’s the same.
      In the VST version those parameters are never present in Preferences, so I can’t automate modulators with index > 255

Automation. This is something weird. The first time I tried to automate some modulators, some worked fine but some not. In Ableton to automate a parameter, you click on it and this parameter is added to the device parameter list, displaying a slider. If I move the modulator in Ctrlr the slider in Ableton moves, and there is midi out. But with some modulators, I can’t do the opposite; If I move the slider in Ableton the modulator doesn’t move and there is no midi out. Even worst, in successive tests the modulators that worked fine no longer work and now I can’t automate any modulator.
      I’ve tried with other panels and I can’t reproduce this behaviour, so it must be my panel. But what is strange is that the same panel has been working (at least some modulators) and now it doesn’t, a panel without any change.

Any help? Thx

atom
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 159
        • Replies: 2945
        • Total: 3104
        • ★★★★★

There is a lot to be said and done about VST/AU stuff. First of all i never figured out how to do it right, the implementation inside Ctrlr is not ideal cause it can’t be. There is one major problem with plugins: the number of parameters the plugin has is read by the host before it gives the plugin the data that was saved in the project. So i get a Ctrlr instance with no idea what will be loaded into it, and i need to tell the host how many parameters Ctrlr will have. It’s impossible to do that’s why those parameters are present. Also bare in mind that a panel can be loaded/added/removed during the plugin is loaded, and the host never asks again for the number of parameters. VST AU were never designed to deal with variable number of parameters. I’ll look into it a bit more and try to make it more usable (for now i added a parameter for modulator to hide it from the host, that will be helpful for all the labels/images/groups/arrows/whatever). I’ll see what else can be wrong.

Filch
        Participant
          • Topics: 22
          • Replies: 173
          • Total: 195
          • ★★

Are the ones that aren’t moving SYSEX?

atom
          Keymaster
            • ★★★★★

there is no correlation between the midi type and VST stuff, i’m guessing it’s something to do with the number of parameters and LUA.

dasfaker
            Keymaster
              • ★★★

No, CCs and sysex. Right now none of the modulators can be automated from Ableton.

I’ll try to delete half the modulators to left under 255 to see if there is a problem with the limit.

dasfaker
              Keymaster
                • ★★★

Well, a quick deleting of half the elements did the trick, all modulators still present can be automated now.

msepsis
                Participant
                  • Topics: 219
                  • Replies: 732
                  • Total: 951
                  • ★★★

i see the same with the Max exported VST setting in the prefs not being remembered. I was going to say it probably has to do with ctrlr crashing and not saving the pref, but no it def doesn’t get remembered.

I’m curious too about any modulators you have set up as cc’s – in any of my panels currently when running in 782 i need to change any cc knobs/sliders/comboboxes etc to sysex, then back to cc for them to send/received correctly.. I’ve filed a bug report about this one.

Monstrum Media | Music, Sound & Software Design, Chicago / San Francisco listen

atom
                  Keymaster
                    • ★★★★★

i saw that bug report and i tried to reproduce it, but i couldn’t but i’ll look into that once again. I uploaded a new build a few minutes ago, see if that changes anything. That build is highly experimental in terms of VST parameters exported to hosts (see the changelog for details)

msepsis
                    Participant
                      • ★★★

ah it’s only in that NL2x panel… i wonder if maybe i had copied and pasted that first knob from a previous panel that was set to sysex originally?? some deeply laden juce bug perhaps..

indeed… if i create a new image knob from scratch from within the nord lead 2x panel and assign it CC 70 and exit edit mode then play a note and rotate this new knob – it works.
                      so this is something in my panel I’ll need to correct… maybe an update XML will do the trick, or I’ll just recreate all my cc’s by copy/pasting from this new knob.

I’m sure that what I’m reporting is some ctrlr versionitis issue … which may or may not have something to do w/ dasfaker’s issues ?? dunno. thought it was worth posting ;p

msepsis
                      Participant
                        • ★★★

haven’t tried the new build yet but when opening the TI snow panel that is currently in the DDB in 782 on winx32 I’m getting a Lua callback error on Link0sc1Mode, Link0sc2Mode, CutoffLink, F1Type, F2Type LFO3Text and LFO3Mode, then ctrlr crashes when closing the standalone app after loading that panel.

msepsis
                        Participant
                          • ★★★

ok good.. now after opening the nl2x panel in 787, resetting the modulators to send no message, then back to cc (or sysex for those modulators) things work. I save the panel, close the panel, close ctrlr, reopen ctrlr, reload the panel and it still works… ok so now I just need to do a bit of sweep up.. sorry to detract from dasfaker’s issue but who knows – it may have been any number of entertangled issues. I still see those same Lua errors when opening the Ti Snow panel in 787.

dasfaker
                          Keymaster
                            • ★★★

I uploaded again the panel, it should be working right now.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                          There is currently 0 users and 94 guests online
                          No users are currently active
                          Forum Statistics
                          Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                          Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                          Ctrlr