General Programming/Lua question

Home Forums General Programming General Programming/Lua question

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Jsh.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jsh
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 12
    • Total: 18

Heya guys,

I have been working on my panel for quite a bit now and I’m no programmer so any time I’ve hit a brick wall I’ve just come here for the answers, now progress is coming along but I’m going back over things to tidy up a lot since there are a lot of methods and a lot of messy coding and obsolete code. One thing that I’m unsure how to do that would help with this a lot is – throughout my methods I have “utility” functions (at least thats how I’ll refer to them – nothing to do with the utility features etc in Ctrlr) that are used all over the place in different methods, I just copy and paste them into each script that needs to use it.

What I’m looking for is how I can have the function declared in one place that I can access from each of my methods without having to have it written out in every other script…Kind of like how in c++ you would have a header file with functions, variables, etc and just #include to reference the functions from it…this stems from just a general lack of understanding of Lua & Ctrlr, (and to an extent programming in general – still pretty n00b).

for example I have a function for decoding patch/program dumps used in a few places, where ideally I’d have it declared in one file:

-- utility functions method
    function decodeDump(patchData)

--my function code

end

then

-- Load patch data method
    function loadPatchData()

local patchData = {FO, 00, .. F7}
      local decodedData = decodeDump(patchData)

end

I assume this is pretty easily doable as it took me an age to realize that I can access non local variables from any method by simply…typing out the variable name. So yeah, any help is appreciated – probably something very obvious or easy to find elsewhere but this forum has proved super helpful so far so it’s pretty much my go to atm.

Cheers.

dnaldoog
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 477
    • Total: 481
    • ★★

In the lua editor, Right click on the lua cube and create a function by clicking on Add Method.

Then you can access that function globally and call it from multiple parts of your panel.

------global------function
    myRandom = function()
        return (math.random(0, 512))
    end
    ------global------function
    a = function()
        local b = myRandom()
        return b + b
    end

b = function(n)
        if n == true then
            return myRandom()
        end
    end

console(tostring(a()))
    console("" .. b(true))
    console(tostring(myRandom()))

Regards,

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by dnaldoog.
    Jsh
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 12
    • Total: 18

Sweeeet, thanks again Dnaldoog

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
There is currently 0 users and 25 guests online
No users are currently active
Forum Statistics
Threads: 2,452, Posts: 17,259, Members: 47,979
Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!