Has anyone built CTRLR against the most recent ver of Juce

Home Forums Platform Specific Linux Has anyone built CTRLR against the most recent ver of Juce

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    J_Klitzke
    Participant
      • Topics: 30
      • Replies: 41
      • Total: 71

Is it even Possible to build a Linux version with Juce 6 if so
      any help would be great. Maybe a tutorial.
      Thanks
      jk

Tedjuh
      Participant
        • Topics: 9
        • Replies: 97
        • Total: 106
        • ★★

I never compiled Ctrlr on Linux. Can’t help you with a tutorial about that. What I do know is that the latest version of Ctrlr, version 6.(something) was built with Juce 5.1. Go to the repository on Github. Download the master branch. Download the Juce that the master branch is pointing to and do the same for the panels folder. Search the forum, there are a few topics that deal with compiling for Linux.

When you scroll down there’s a sort of guide on how to compile for Linux:

Linux
        A build.sh script is provided in Builds/Generated/Linux/Standalone, a symlink of that script is located in Builds/Generated/Linux/VST and is used to create a precompiled header and then to trigger the build using make. You can do that manually if you like just to have a look at the script, it’s really simple.

A more complex solution exists in Scripts/post-commit, this script will build all solutions for the current architecture, it will also prepare the system for the build, unpack boost.zip check some packages (on Ubuntu only for now) and start the build. At the end it will create a self-extracting Ctrlr.sh file in Packaging/Linux (create using makeself.sh), it will also try to scp it to ctrlr.org but that will fail without the correct ssh key, you can just comment out the scp line in post-commit.

The post-commit script takes an argument “clean” if you wish to clean all the intermediate files before building. If you want to ignore any package errors that it reports (i assume you know your system better than my script) then just add -f as an option when building.

J_Klitzke
        Participant
          • Topics: 30
          • Replies: 41
          • Total: 71

I tried to Make ctlr in linux but gave me dependency issues when I went to install
          the missing lib.dev files it wanted to rip my system apart. wanted to delete 75 files
          install 82 files etc no way. In the past building a native ver of ctlr on my system worked
          well vst worked so forth. But I guess ill have to do a fresh install of my distro geared
          to ctlr development. Ive got a stack of unused HD here. If I do get it working that is Linux
          VST.so working.I could post it. They say this is the year of Linux on the desktop ? but are there
          people building linux vst plugins? does any one care? Another thought I had was how hard would it be to add LV2 as a export option in control? Im not a programmer so rules me out.
          Comments, I better way of doing it. please let me know.

Thanks
          JK

Tedjuh
          Participant
            • Topics: 9
            • Replies: 97
            • Total: 106
            • ★★

Maybe the fresh install isn’t necessary. I was able to build Ctrlr 6.0. The one that is in the master branch at the Github page is version 6.04 if I’m not mistaken. Go to the stable branch and try the commit from January 10th, 2020. It even says “Linux project update”. What more do you want? If you want to download version 5.3.201 you have to go back to March 2016. I’ll have to search for the right date.

Are people building VST’s for Linux? Depends on how many people actually use Linux, right? But I’m afraid that the majority uses Windows or macOS. It is possible to run Windows VST’s through Wine or in certain Linux Daws like Carla or Reaper. There are even wrappers to run Windows VST’s on Linux. So I guess the answer to your question is: There is no need to build VST’s specific for Linux.

Ok, Linux uses his own VST format, LV2. But I don’t think big companies want to spend time on building an LV2 just because Linux has a much smaller user base and therefore it’s not commercially interesting. Juce doesn’t support LV2. Since Ctrlr is based on Juce, Ctrlr doesn’t support it as well. Unfortunately.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • The forum ‘Linux’ is closed to new topics and replies.
          There is currently 0 users and 61 guests online
          No users are currently active
          Forum Statistics
          Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
          Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
          Ctrlr