How to get basic button to send midi data correctly

Home Forums General Panels, Components, Macros How to get basic button to send midi data correctly

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    drsteve
    Participant
      • Topics: 3
      • Replies: 33
      • Total: 36

No matter what I have tried, I cannot get a basic button to send midi data correctly. Can someone who understand ctrlr tell me what to do get it to work properly?

The attached screenshots shows the basic button, the midi component parameters, and the midi output. For Note On (and some of the types of midi commands) three bytes should be sent, for example B1 0A 7F. For other types of midi data two bytes should be sent, for example D0 3F. For other types of midi data one byte should be sent, for example FA.

It seems as though the first byte in the 3-byte format is derived in ctrlr from the MIDI message type and the MIDI Channel.

It seems as though the second byte in the 3-byte format is the value indicated by the MIDI Controller number parameter.

To me it seems logical that the third byte should be the value indicated by the MIDI Controller value parameter.

However, for a two-state component (such as the basic on/off button) the third byte is coming instead from the button state (0 = off, 1 = on).

It would seem that there are two possible categories of fixes:
      (1) change the ctrlr code
      (2) design a work around.

Can someone give me the specific details of how to do this very simple task? I have already tried (1) reading the documentation and forum, (2) tweaking various parameters, and (3) deconstructing several demo panels.

Thanks.

Steve

PS: In case its not obvious, although the screenshots were taken with Channel Pressure, I actually went through a number of MIDI message types. Please note: after I did the midi clock, the MIDI channel reverted to 1.

Also, the data for all outputs was the same:
      MIDI Channel 16
      MIDI Controller number 64
      MIDI Controller value 120.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      atom
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 159
        • Replies: 2945
        • Total: 3104
        • ★★★★★

Like i wrote in a post about MIDI Notes, the value of the controller is the value of the modulator beeing modified, your button has 2 states, two values ZERO and ONE. Theese values are inserted into the MIDI messages and this message is sent, if you want different/more values, either insert those values inside “Button value” property, or use Lua.

For example to send 5 different values each time, the property would be:

Value zero=0
        Value one=1
        Value two=32
        Value three=64
        Value four=127

Or if you want just values 0-4

Value zero
        Value one
        Value two
        Value three
        Value four

drsteve
        Participant

“either insert those values inside “Button value” property, or use Lua.”
          OK–I will look for the “Button value.” Thanks.

drsteve
          Participant

Thanks–got the two-state button to send out velocity with Button values as:
            OFF
            ON=110

Also, got multi-state button to work by unchecking “Button is toggle button.

Attachments:
            drsteve
            Participant

I now have a preliminary one-way panel group component (ctrlr -> gear) that sends arp triggers to one midi in port of E-Mu P2k-based gear. I have played around with it as a performance too and once it is a standalone executable, the timing seems to work.

I am thinking of posting it to see if other owners of P2k-based gear (1) would use it and (2) might be interested in collaborating on this and other components.

If there were gear/manufacturer specific sub-forums (like the OS specific-sub forums) I could post it there if that’s an appropriate use of the ctrlr.org forum. Or I can post it on some other sites.

If there is interest, I (and possibly others) would try to make it 2-way between ctrlr and the gear and develop it further.

Attachments:
              atom
              Keymaster
                • Topics: 159
                • Replies: 2945
                • Total: 3104
                • ★★★★★

Post it wherever you’d like, it’s your work it’s up to you.

If it’s anything usable there is the Panel database and now a second site: http://ctrlr.org/forums/topic/panel-database/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • The forum ‘Panels, Components, Macros’ is closed to new topics and replies.
              There is currently 0 users and 88 guests online
              No users are currently active
              Forum Statistics
              Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
              Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
              Ctrlr