How to output velkocity from button

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr How to output velkocity from button

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    drsteve
    Participant
      • Topics: 3
      • Replies: 33
      • Total: 36

As part of what I hope will be a set of arp trigger buttons, I have been trying to get a 2 state button to output a velocity of my own choosing. Right now, I am coding the values, but if I could get it to work, the next step would be to try allowing user selection of channel, note number, and velocity.

Unfortunately, no matter what I try, ON always sends a velocity of 0x7F.

Attached are the buttons, the MIDI panel parameters, and the MIDI output.

(1) Can I do what I want using ctrlr?
      (2) How can I set up a button so that ON sends the note on command* with the velocity of my choice?

Thanks.

–Steve

*For decades I have used the word “command” where ctrlr uses “formula.”

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      drsteve
      Participant

As you can see from the MIDI parameter panel and the output, the midi note on command works as expected, with the exception of velocity.

Relevant excerpts from chat:

Steve (Tue, 18:33)
        When I make a button a midi note on, where do I set parameters for that note (note number and velocity)?

atom (03:07)
        that’s the controller number

atom (03:08)
        “controller number” is a general setting for Aftertouch NRPN, RPN, CC, ChannelPressure

atom
        Keymaster
          • Topics: 159
          • Replies: 2945
          • Total: 3104
          • ★★★★★

The new nightly has a fix for this. The velocity is the value of the modulator (there was a problem casting the velocity to float)

drsteve
          Participant

Thanks for taking a look at this and for the update. “MIDI Controller value” (what I was assuming was “MIDI Data Byte 2”) now outputs as 0x01. I think you are saying that I need to modulate something instead of using that variable directly. I will try to see if I can do that.
            –Steve

drsteve
            Participant

I am trying to take variable names from the XML code for use in the modulator. I am working from the following assumptions about the MIDI parameter panel:

“MIDI Message type” determines the upper nybble of the midi command byte
              “MIDI Channel” determines the lower nybble of the midi command byte
              “MIDI Controller number” determines the value of midi data byte 1
              “MIDI Controller value” should somehow (directly or indirectly via a modulator) determine the value of midi data byte 2.

Question: Are these assumptions correct? (The 1st 3 seem to correspond with the way ctrlr works, but I am not sure about the 4th assumption.)

Working from these assumptions, I put “midiMessageCtrlrValue” into the “Expression to evaluate when calculating midi message value from the modulator” parameter. The default was “modulatorValue.” However, that just made both the on and off velocity 0x01.

I have the “Maximum value the modulator can have . . .” set to 127.00000 in the Modulator parameter panel. The tip says “should be set from the UI component” so I looked in the Component parameter panel. The only thing that seems possible related is the “Value for ON state” parameter. However changing that value to anything other than 1 makes both the ON state and the OFF state send a velocity of 0x01.

Any suggestions to get the button to output user defined velocity (either directly through a MIDI or Component parameter or indirectly through a modulator)?

Thanks.

Steve

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
            There is currently 0 users and 86 guests online
            No users are currently active
            Forum Statistics
            Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
            Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
            Ctrlr