Identity request

Home Forums General Programming Identity request

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    atom
    Keymaster
      • Topics: 159
      • Replies: 2945
      • Total: 3104
      • ★★★★★

This is a useful(less?) feature.

It uses the Program Manager interface and all the subroutines (i use it to program the manager logic and stuff).

So anyone can do that on ANY device, just do “Programs -> Identity request” (or press CTRL + I), and something like the screen i attached should appear. If it doesn’t a timeout warning should appear (maybe the device does not respond to identity request, not all do).

Also a “preview” of how the program manager will look like. You can open the program manager window from the “Panel” menu and do a “Factory reset” to see how the tree will look like.

I was thinking of creating a very simple/basic identity response database, that could be filled in by people, it’s a good idea but i doubt it will work. Anyone has that SoundDiver software ? it had a large database of devices and it was able to recognize them automagicly so it had to have a big database of those identities.

• This topic was modified 10 years, 11 months ago by atom.
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Hecticcc
      Participant
        • Topics: 25
        • Replies: 160
        • Total: 185
        • ★★

Cool!
        I do this small-scale in the Emu-panel to detect the model of the sampler.

But to make this kind of “global” db alone will be lots of work, or are you going to do some “public” db setup where people can add devices?

atom
        Keymaster
          • ★★★★★

Well that’s the idea, create an initial DB (maybe import/steal/hack one of the programs that already has one), and let the general public update it. The application itself is simple (a few hours of work at most), it’s just that i don’t know if it’s worth it.

Hecticcc
          Participant
            • ★★

I understand your doubts about it, it is a nice touch but not essential for Ctrlr. But i still vote yes 🙂

Come to think of it, it may become something very cool in Ctrlr if you could re-implement the panel db link inside Ctrlr & make the result of the id scan point you towards the correct panel. It would win over alot of non-tech savvy users i think.

Just thinking out loud though..

atom
            Keymaster
              • ★★★★★

Yeah that idea also came to my head, but i think it’s a long way before any of that becomes useful.

Also i won’t enforce any police on panel creators to categorize their panels and include identity responses. Please remember that the identity response will be different on different firmware versions, though “firmware” was not an issue in the 80s and 90s, nowadays everybody want’s to update their firmware every week.

Hecticcc
              Participant
                • ★★
                drsteve
                Participant
                  • Topics: 3
                  • Replies: 33
                  • Total: 36

I have started to explore the Request Identity feature. There was one time only that I did not have a time out. Unfortunately I don’t recall which version of ctrlr I had at the time. Now, I get a time out “warning” (index “0”).

As noted in another thread, the midi monitor shows that (1) the request is sent and (2) replies are received.

So I have two questions:
                  (1) Why am I getting the error message?
                  (2) Is the feature set up to handle multiple replies?

Thanks

sent:
                  [f0 7e 7f 06 01 f7]

received:
                  [f0 7e 13 06 02 00 00 33 00 01 00 12 10 03 01 00 f7]
                  [f0 7e 01 06 02 18 01 04 05 05 34 2e 30 31 f7]

drsteve
                  Participant

Follow-up: The request identity time out problem also happens where there is only one reply. I will now try a number of versions of controller to see if any of them work.

drsteve
                    Participant

Well, I tried several versions, resetting ctrlr in between, and in each instance the request was sent, a reply was received, and the time out error message appeared.

I suppose I could be doing something wrong, but I cannot figure out what it is. Any suggestions?

atom
                      Keymaster
                        • ★★★★★

If the identity response is a vaild response Ctrlr should pop a dialog displaying the information about the response (manufacturer etc.), but nothing beyond that.

Some devices don’t play nice and truncate the response message or add some bytes, if that happens the default action will not get triggered and you need to implement your own identity response handling method in Lua (the mopho panel shows how to do that if you need an example)

drsteve
                        Participant

I just tried the identify request demo at the jazz-plugin site and had it check all midi ports. It correctly identified the midi ports which replied, the devices connected to some ports (the ones that replied), as well as several usb devices which replied.

I know next to nothing about Lua but will look at the mopho panel.

Thanks for the referral to the jazz-plugin. It looks very promising!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • The forum ‘Programming’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                        There is currently 0 users and 114 guests online
                        No users are currently active
                        Forum Statistics
                        Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                        Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                        Ctrlr