Experiencing invalid resources as a user

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr Experiencing invalid resources as a user

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    fredeke
    Participant
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 3
      • Total: 4

Hello.

I have been using CTRLR on Mac OS 10.something.orother for a couple of years, and it was grand !

But I recently switched to Windows 10 (since Apple seems to have forsaken their professional clientele), and now I’m experiencing “Invalid resources” issues with the exact same panels that were working fine on the Mac.

Here attached are captures of the two panels I use daily: the Roland MKS-50 panel (not the dark green one, the grey one with a beautiful and comprehensive vintage skin), and the panel for the modified Roland MKS-70 with Rom 4.0. The former is running standalone, and the latter is runner as a VST plugin in Reaper. Not that that changes anything (I’ve tried).

So the MKS-70 is not too bad. Part of the interface is replaced by an “Invalid resource” error, as you can see in the upper left corner, but the panel is still mostly workable. The MKS-50 panel, on the other hand, appears almost completely blank and is obviously unusable.

I am running the latest version of CTRLR I could download.

What could be the problem, and what should I do ?

• This topic was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by fredeke. Reason: tidying up of the text
      • This topic was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by fredeke.
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Possemo
      Participant
        • Topics: 14
        • Replies: 638
        • Total: 652
        • ★★★

the newest build is faulty. Try the recommended one: http://ctrlr.org/nightly/Ctrlr-5.3.201.exe.

If it does not work either you could import the missing ressources manually.

Btw. there is a new SuperJX panel available. Are you using the old one by choice? It has a couple of bugs but well… the new one as bugs too. I have almost finished a new, much improved version of the SuperJX panel. It will be released very soon.

fredeke
        Participant

I’m sorry, I meant I was using the latest stable version: 5.3.201

I didn’t know there was another SuperJX panel. I will check it out. And I am curious to see yours when finished.

However, my big issue is with the other panel, the “MKS-50 Advaced”. (I know there is an alternative panel for the MKS-50 too, but it is far less helping visually, and it doesn’t do the chords or even the mono mode.)

Is importing missing resources accessible to a non-programmer ? I don’t even know which resources are missing (well, in the case of the MKS-50 panel, apparently all of them).

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by fredeke. Reason: typo
          Possemo
          Participant
            • ★★★

I will upload the new version this evening. Btw. I made all SuperJX v4 Ctrlr panels. V2.5 which you are using is just an old version. Starting with verison 3 I made a very big layout in order to show both upper and lower tone at once. For small screens maybe the old v2.5 is more convenient. If you want the new version when it is available write me an email to roet32@gmail.com.

From where do you have the MKS-50 panel from? It does not seem to be available on the panel download list. If it is a .bpanelz file attach it here to a post and I will look what I can do.

fredeke
            Participant

Congratulations for the great work !!!

I’m using a 4K monitor so I think your new panel will fit 😉

The “MKS-50 Advanced” panel I am using is a .panel

I found it here: http://ctrlr.org/forums/topic/roland-mks-50-advanced/ and it can also be downloaded here: https://audiobombs.com/items/94/mks-50-advanced-synthesizer-programmer . I am also attaching it to this post.

What is the difference between .bpanelz and .panel btw ? I noticed that when loading a .bpanelz and then saving it the saved file is a .panel

I will send you an email now.

Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              fredeke
              Participant

Actually from the 2 links I’m providing I only knew the former. I just discovered the latter by googling. There, there is a .bpanelz version available for download. I can’t attach it here because it is too big, but you’ll see the download button is quite obvious.

I will test that version tomorrow morning. Now I’m going to bed.

UPDATE : Waw ! The bpanelz version of “MKS-50 Advanced” actually works fine under Windows 10. Now I am just awaiting your newest version of the SuperJX…

Thanks and congrats again.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by fredeke. Reason: updated typography
                • This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by fredeke.
                • This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by fredeke. Reason: added politeness and pleasantries
                • This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by fredeke. Reason: can't make up my mind
                Possemo
                Participant
                  • ★★★

the .bpanelz file includes all ressources such as images etc. You can make a .bpanelz file by using the export feature of Ctrlr.

Bomma could probably not upload the .bpanelz file here because it is too big. It’s a shame that this nice looking panel is not present here at the Ctrlr site…

Edit: it was once available in the deprecated panels list under the name “pg-300” but the link does not work anymore…

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Possemo.
                  m.tarenskeen
                  Participant
                    • Topics: 30
                    • Replies: 113
                    • Total: 143
                    • ★★

the .bpanelz file includes all ressources such as images etc. You can make a .bpanelz file by using the export feature of Ctrlr.

Note: When I export as a bpanelz file from Linux and include a custom ttf font, if I load this panel on a Windows machine this font is not used but reset to one of the default system fonts.
                    The font is included but not used: to activate it I have to open panel-edit mode and select the font for the elements that I had in mind. Only then the panel will have the looks that I had in mind. Example: my Yamaha Reface DX and Korg DS-8 and 707 panels (lcddot.ttf font used for voicename display)

Same story if I develop and export on a Windows machine and then load the panelz file on a Linux machine. Because more people use Windows I usually export on a Windows machine before making my panels public.

Don’t have any experience with OSX behaviour, so can’t tell how a Mac behaves.

Possemo
                    Participant
                      • ★★★

If I remember well goodweather had a similar problem with a .ttf font. At the end he included the font in a .zip file and explained in the manual that the font has to be manually installed on the system.

The Mac build does not even include all built-in fonts of the Windows build. It will revert to “sans-serif”. Well at least sans-serif is well readable.

When I read your post this came to my mind:
                      You could make a procedure that sets the font on all needed components at startup.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                    There is currently 0 users and 102 guests online
                    No users are currently active
                    Forum Statistics
                    Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                    Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                    Ctrlr