MIDI output to interface but not device

Home Forums Platform Specific OSX MIDI output to interface but not device

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    quadraspleen
    Participant
      • Topics: 6
      • Replies: 33
      • Total: 39

Hi,

Logic 9.1.8

Latest nightly build of ctrlr

I have an MKS-70 and I’m trying to use the JX8P controller panel (I know this panel/editor can control the MKS in theory as I have a real PG-800 which this panel is based on)

I have the MKS all set up fine in Logic using the external instrument plugin and can play it and change programs fine from Logic.

When I open the JX8 panel in a new audio instrument track (correct MIDI output and input and channel) I can see data going out of ctrl into Logic and the MIDI interface (the MIDI out lights up on the MKS port) and I can see sysex going to the port, but the MKS doesn’t respond i.e its MIDI in light doesn’t light up.

I’d love to use this but I’m stumped.

Thanks in advance

jake

atom
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 159
        • Replies: 2945
        • Total: 3104
        • ★★★★★

The MKS has propably a slightly different sysex prefix, maybe the device ID is different ?

quadraspleen
        Participant

Hey, speedy response 🙂 thanks

Well, the MKS-70 is two JX-10’s in a rack, a JX-10 is two JX8’s and the PG-800 controller can control all of them. The JX8Programmer.bpanelz I downloaded certainly looks like my PG-800 in every way, so I reckon if it can control a JX8 it can also control an MKS-70..Having said that I have no clue really 🙂

There seem to be three JX8 controllers in the database, so when you have time to get it back up and running (like the new site) I’ll download the other ones.

The MKS doesn’t have a device ID as such, it has a control channel, which is set to 1. the sysex seems to be mostly the same as the manual states so, sending aVCF cutoff sends:

f0 41 36 00 21 20 01 22 3b f7

where 41 correctly corresponds to the byte a as per the manual (Roland ID#) but the format type (byte e) is 21 where it should be 24 (JX-10), and the parameter value is 22 where it should be 34.

I guess this is the problem, but odd as in the RW the PG can control all of those synths.

Would there be a way to change the a byte across all sliders assuming I can get one to work?

Great app, thanks 🙂

quadraspleen
          Participant

LOL, sorry that doesn’t scan well…I meant I like the new site, not when you can get the new site up and running!

Thakns for the info. I’ve sussed it. It is odd, as I reckon the PG-800 must know what it is plugged into or there are JX8P specific versions whcih I doubt. Anyway, all I need to do it change two bytes per controller or knoba dn it works a treat!

Thanks again, Atom

jake

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • The forum ‘OSX’ is closed to new topics and replies.
          There is currently 0 users and 63 guests online
          No users are currently active
          Forum Statistics
          Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
          Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
          Ctrlr